Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT HH5 wifi-with-fon  (Read 12618 times)

Berrick

• Reg Member
BT HH5 wifi-with-fon
« on: April 05, 2014, 06:13:10 PM »

Wasn't sure whether to post here or ISP? I'm sure Roseway will put me right :)

Does any one know how to turn off the  wifi-with-fon WiFi on a locked HH5? Also isn't it kind of rude (polite for illegal) for BT to impose this on individual's without their consent?

TYIA
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT HH5 wifi-with-fon
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 07:07:36 PM »

From what I recall you have to do it via the website.

Every new BT customer automatically becomes part of the network, so I bet its buried somewhere deep in the T&Cs when you sign up, most people dont even realise they are sharing their bandwidth  ::)

------

ETA yep - 

opt out here
https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon

More info
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi%3F

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:10:34 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Berrick

• Reg Member

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 11:07:32 PM »

When you turn it off it will not be instant it can take up to 48 hours before the router see's the Fon as disabled.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:12:54 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 03:15:34 PM »

With the exception of the second T&C's I can only find one mention of FON to do with BT Mobile Broadband

Bit sneaky that - like who reads through all that and would understand half of it :(

Most people wouldnt have a clue it was switched on.   
In fact I was somewhere last month, when I tried to get a connection on my phone and I noticed that it was picking up his BT HH and of course the Openzone connection.  The guy seriously thought the openzone was from a shop a few hundred yards down the street.   

To cut a long story short, it just wasnt worth the effort trying to explain that it was his hub - I had better things to do. ::)

What is interesting though, I noticed the 'OpenZone' got full 4 bars, whilst his 'BTHub' got a flickering 3/4 bars.

Its not the first time Ive seen this either -  my neighbour has a BTHub4 that displays the same behaviour.
eg BTHub4-Zxxx is currently showing one bar, yet BTWifi-with-FON shows 2 bars. 
Theres also a BTHub5-Hxx that keeps flickering in and out of range, yet its BT-FON shows up with a steady one bar.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 04:02:59 PM »

Please, please, please don't switch BT Wi-Fi (with or without FON) off !! How am I supposed to realise a high-speed data connection with my works laptop, when out in the field ?? Our 'Network Records' take days to download via GPS !!!

I'm begging you ..... think about us !!  ;) ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 04:15:36 PM »

:lol: :lol:
-----

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 08:54:52 PM »

Well my FTTC install was a total mess and I had to chase every single option to get it  enabled.

But, there is one good thing about this disaster, I don't transmit the open Wi-Fi but I can still use the hotspots.

I  think if you turn it off you also turn your access off to those open BT Wi-Fi/Fon.

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 07:43:17 AM »

I  think if you turn it off you also turn your access off to those open BT Wi-Fi/Fon

Aye if you opt out of BT WiFi Fon then you lose your free access to BT hot spots.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 09:38:39 PM »

I  think if you turn it off you also turn your access off to those open BT Wi-Fi/Fon

Aye if you opt out of BT WiFi Fon then you lose your free access to BT hot spots.

You can turn it on again if you whish via Web site but again it takes upto 48 hours to acknowledge this in the router as enabled.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »

Please, please, please don't switch BT Wi-Fi (with or without FON) off !! How am I supposed to realise a high-speed data connection with my works laptop, when out in the field ?? Our 'Network Records' take days to download via GPS !!!

I'm begging you ..... think about us !!  ;) ;D

So thats were all the surplus bandwidth is going on the OpenReach network, though I know you work from 8am to 4:30pm so which engineer is using up most of the bandwidth at peek times 5pm to 11pm  :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »

Ha ha ...... I'm not sure, but can assure you it's not me NS. My spanners are well and truly locked away cometh 4pm.  ;D

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 02:37:38 PM »

Update:

Mine got turned on so I have a question.

If I turn it on again and get my own router will I be able to access wifi i.e. be an enabled user but not transmitting wifi from router?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 02:57:13 PM »

Yes

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »

What router or modem will work with the latest changes to the BT network protocols?
Pages: [1] 2

anything