Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ubuntu 7.10  (Read 9164 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Ubuntu 7.10
« on: January 14, 2008, 10:15:08 PM »

Hello all.
I have Downloaded Ubuntu 7.1, burnt it to a CD, Installed it ok on a spare machine.
It works well, since trying Ubuntu last year there seam to be more improvements.
Q1
I have installed Audacity sound editor via the repository..
What I would like to do is open a file from another machine on the network,
If I click file, open,  you get the view comes up with folders in the machine I'm on But no way to navigate to my network to the other machines (that's the same in other programs )

How do I enable the network view ?. I can get to any machine via the 'Places' network icon.

Q2 I like how Firefox now is updated by the update system, I got in a right pickle last year trying to update it.

The view in FF ( which I'm using to write this post ) is smaller than when I use my Windows machine.
Can it be made bigger, I have pulled the browser to the full size of the monitor, but the fonts etc. are very small.
Also noticed that some pages only half fill the page (from L to R).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Ubuntu 7.10
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 10:52:50 PM »

Q1
Ubuntu has a utility called 'Network Manager' which handles this. You can see the distro documentation Here. The 'Internet' section covers local networking as well.

Q2
You can change the fonts in the Preferences dialog (under the Edit menu). I'm not sure about pages that only half fill the screen width (can you give an example?) but generally FF behaves in Linux just like it behaves in Windows.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 12:07:50 AM »

Q1
Ubuntu has a utility called 'Network Manager' which handles this. You can see the distro documentation Here. The 'Internet' section covers local networking as well.

Re Q1... I can connect to my network ok ( it self configured)
in this screen shot of Audacity on the LHS there is no access to my network and I could not see in your link about how I can add it. ( I will have a good look around for some info tomorrow)

[attachment deleted by admin]
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 12:18:59 AM »

Q2
You can change the fonts in the Preferences dialog (under the Edit menu). I'm not sure about pages that only half fill the screen width (can you give an example?) but generally FF behaves in Linux just like it behaves in Windows.

Screen shot of BBC home page ( Kitz home page ok )

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 07:44:44 AM »

Q1:

This should cover it.

[Edit] Sorry that I've been a bit terse in my answers here, but I don't use Ubuntu, and it does things a bit differently to most other distros, so I can't be very specific. To be honest, I don't think it's necessarily the best choice of distro for a comparative newcomer, because it doesn't have the friendly GUI configuration utilities which you get in Mandriva and PCLinuxOS (for example). On the other hand it does have extensive documentation and a very active forum, so the best I can do is refer you to those for specific information.

Q2:

I've tried three different browsers, and they all display the BBC home page that way. I don't think this is related to Linux as such, but is simply the way that particular browsers render the page.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:41:11 AM by roseway »
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 07:47:29 AM »

I,m using IE7 and thats the way it displays the BBC homepage.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 08:46:48 AM »

Thanks Phil, I'm now pretty sure that the BBC site is deliberately written to fit an 800-pixel wide screen, and that's how most browsers will display it. I suppose some browsers expand this type of site to fill the full width of the screen.
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 09:24:02 AM »

Thanks Phil, I'm now pretty sure that the BBC site is deliberately written to fit an 800-pixel wide screen, and that's how most browsers will display it.

The BBC site has been like that for as long as I can remember, but surely nowadays it would make more sense to design sites to fit a 1024 screen width.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 10:00:35 AM »

I suppose there will be some people with very poor eyesight who use low resolution screens to make everything bigger.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 10:06:13 AM »

Hi guys,just been to the BBC homepage.Just underneath the search box there is a a link'Go to Beta homepage'Well I guess they heard us moaning,go have a look.I think I will bookmark the new site and delete the old one.

Edit,The display settings are customable for people with poor eyesight,also you can change the colours.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 10:14:08 AM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 10:48:39 AM »

That's a great find Phil. I'm going to copy it to the 'Interesting websites' section.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 10:56:27 PM »

Hi guys,just been to the BBC homepage.Just underneath the search box there is a a link'Go to Beta homepage'Well I guess they heard us moaning,go have a look.I think I will bookmark the new site and delete the old one.

Edit,The display settings are customable for people with poor eyesight,also you can change the colours.

I agree that was well spotted, Now that does fill the page  :).
I also found that Ubuntu changed the default screen size so that makes my test page look better when I reset that to the same as my Xp machines. (1024x768).

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 11:32:47 PM »

Q1:

This should cover it.

[Edit] Sorry that I've been a bit terse in my answers here, but I don't use Ubuntu, and it does things a bit differently to most other distros, so I can't be very specific. To be honest, I don't think it's necessarily the best choice of distro for a comparative newcomer, because it doesn't have the friendly GUI configuration utilities which you get in Mandriva and PCLinuxOS (for example). On the other hand it does have extensive documentation and a very active forum, so the best I can do is refer you to those for specific information.

I think what I'm looking for is to expand the 'tree' view to include my networks,

It looks like Ubuntu has improved a lot since I last tried it, Just take Firefox for an example, The system up dates it to the latest version, I was using it to look at that new Beta BBC site and it told me I wanted a flash plug-in, so I just click the link and away it went and installed the correct plug-in.
I took me age's last year to find how to get the plug-in's and age's to find how to install it, then it would not work. now it's easier then Windows to install the correct plug-in's.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 07:26:35 AM »

>> I think what I'm looking for is to expand the 'tree' view to include my networks

Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop, and its file manager is (in my opinion) a bit short of features. The file manager used with KDE (Konqueror) has a lot more features, including things like network browsing.
  Eric