Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A Preliminary findings.  (Read 128243 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A Preliminary findings.
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2014, 12:38:21 PM »

No Ive not used stuffuk b4 :D  Not heard of it in fact.

I think the reason I went with broadbandbuyer is I was promised if it didnt come up to scratch I could return it.  I had 7 days to do this, but after speaking with them last week re the f/w issue not saving the vdsl config, I could have a bit longer to make up my mind. But thats neither here nor there now, as once I'd sorted it with ZyXel direct Ive decided its definitely a keeper for me. 

----

Ive just done some quick wi-fi tests.  hmmm  not sure if I need to tweak some settings as I dont seem to be able to get much more than 38Mbps.   The ipad isnt ideal to test with anyhow as even with my previous router the speeds werent that great anyhow heres the results.  I need to borrow a laptop really.  I did 3 in each loacation and show the average.

I know the results arent scientific but they may give you an idea.   Router is upstairs - front right corner of house.

37.5 / 18.3   Stood next to router
38.3 / 18.3   In the next room through one wall
35.4 / 18.2   Upstairs back left of house
36.3 / 18.1   Lounge
33.2 / 18.0   Previous 'dead spot' - bit surprised as had to lay CAT5 in the past to get a signal in this corner.  Ive even bought a wireless extender in the past which still didnt work very well.
30.4 / 18.0   Dining room
26.5 / 18.0   Kitchen
2.5 / 2.4  Right at the very bottom of back garden
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oshb5ems

• Just arrived
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2014, 01:54:35 PM »

Hi

I had been waiting for this thread and It sounds a great unit But I think with it being new still may throw up f/w or s/w issues and seeing as im already in the mire and my SNR has already suffered with the modem Router I have in thats failing hence waiting for this thread to decide what to get.. So I think I had better pump for something that is well known and will set up first time and stay up and be online for a while. If you get what I mean and this one although sounds just what im looking for in regards to the WiFi strength. But like I said better the devil I think. 

BUT what "DEVIL" it the million dollar question LOL :'(

Osh

P.S. I am sort of leaning towards the D6200..

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2014, 02:41:43 PM »

The wireless spec on the VMG8324-B10A isnt the latest and greatest as its only wireless n

I believe if you want the best wifi, you would perhaps be best waiting for the VMG8924-B10A, which looks the same and has the same BCM63168 chipset. In fact its practically the same router, the difference is the VMG8924 has 802.11ac wireless technology.  Unfortunately it doesnt seem available yet in the uk, but if it were, it may take the price over what I wanted to pay.  :/

As you say even the VMG8324 is an unknown at present and may still throw up some issues with it being so new, so I can understand why you may prefer to go for a router thats been around a bit longer :)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:23:10 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »

You will find the VMG8924-B10A on Amazon with one its sellers.  Much the same price.   I am not however sure about 802.11ac performance in general.  Reviews often show that while its great at short range it does not like walls.  I guess it is consequence of the higher 5ghz frequency.  Others may have first hand experience.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »

Apologies, I hadnt seen one for sale before, but it was a couple of weeks since I last looked. :-[
Although the only one I can find on Amazon is for £175, which would have taken it out of my price range for sure :(
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2014, 04:48:16 PM »

Your quite right - a google search took me to http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMG1312-B10A-1000Base-T-802-11ac-Ethernet-VMG1312-B10A-UK01V1F/dp/B00GC3O3MU which is not right thing at all.  However the picture and the product description on that page is explicitly for a VMG8924-B10A which will be why it appears the google search.  Designed to confuse me at least.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »

@kitz for your info

100AAKL2C0_20131205.bin (21.3 MB)  contains 038 BLOB
     V100AAKL3b2.bin (21.6 MB)               contains 039 BLOB
     V100AAKL4b1.bin (21.8MB)                contains 039 BLOB

Zytel ftp site has VMG8324-B10A_100AAKL0C0  which I guess is the first one but with a date missing.  You may have started with yet another version already in the device.   

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2014, 12:16:13 PM »

Thanks les,  yes I did start with another version when it arrived, but not sure what. :/
I was far more concerned at that time in actually getting it to connect

I didnt take much note of the firmware - I certainly didnt telnet to get the version.
However because I had to read something out to the Zyxel guy on the phone from the GUI,  I seem to recall that it may have been 1.00(AAKL.0) if that helps.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2014, 06:35:33 AM »

Kitz isn't a happy bunny.  I appear to have fallen foul of the zyxel/apple streaming issue. 

Will update when I have more info.  Tried looking into it last night and have tried all the recommended fixes but to no avail.  :'(

Will have to contact zyxel again
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2014, 05:00:35 PM »

Update - Tried new firmware that was released today but the issue is still there.

All the symptoms are remarkably similar to the known problem that was on the sbg3300.   
The streaming issue only affects devices running iOS7.  My ipod(iOS6) and phone (android) are perfectly fine.

Since a fix was rolled out for the SBG3300 on the 26th of March, it is hopeful that it shouldnt take too long for new firmware to be written for the VMG8324 too.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:23:37 PM by kitz »
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »

@kitz When you have some time I wondered if you could telnet in or use DSLstats to try the command "adsl configure  --maxDataRate 78000 18000 100000"  It will cause a resync unless applied when the router has the dsl RJ11 connection unpluged.  I have suggested a moderate rate cap which I am sure won't upset anything.   If you change the 78.. or 18.. values, you can leave the 10.. value unchanged, it only needs to be equal or bigger than the sum of the other two values.  I am on a ECI dslam and do it every day (I power off at night) with lower values of 64/16.  It has done what it is supposed to and goes back to the normal 80/20 max after a router reboot.  After a couple of months of this the DSLAM has shown no signs of noticing.

I am still wondering over buying the zyxel and would like to know if that command works on it.   Don't worry if you don't fancy trying it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2014, 07:31:06 PM »

tbh id rather not try it atm - the way my luck is right now, Id probably stuff up my connection :(

I can confirm that the command is available though, so I dont see why it shouldnt work.

Code: [Select]
> adsl

adsl configure/configure1 [--mod <a|d|l|t|2|p|e|m|M3|M5|v>] [--lpair <(i)nner|(o)uter>]
           [--trellis <on|off>] [--snr <snrQ4>] [--bitswap <on|off>] [--sesdrop<on|off>]
           [--sra <on|off>] [--CoMinMgn <on|off>] [--i24k <on|off>] [--phyReXmt<0xBitMap-UsDs>]
           [--Ginp <0xBitMap-UsDs>] [--TpsTc <0xBitMap-AvPvAaPa>] [--monitorTone <on|off>]
           [--profile <0x00 - 0xFF>|<"8a |8b |8c |8d |12a |12b |17a |30a">] [--us0 <on|off>]
           [--dynamicD <on|off>] [--dynamicF <on|off>] [--SOS <on|off>]
[--maxDataRate <maxDsDataRateKbps maxUsDataRateKbps maxAggrDataRateKbps>]  <------------------------------------
           [--forceJ43 <on|off>] [--toggleJ43B43 <on|off>]
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2014, 09:37:21 AM »

@kitz  Understood, doing something first time always makes me uneasy too.  One extra question:-  Does the zyxel have a an adsl/vdsl mode selection page in the gui.  i.e can you tick the modes such as adsl2 ...  vdsl2 etc on/off as on most modems?

I ask as reading the manual it sounds as though the mode selection is automatic. 

If I am tweaking I like to use these options to stop a sync on power up.  I then run a .bat file to tweak and enable the needed mode at the same time.  It avoids an extra resync due to the tweak.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »

This is what I intend putting a page up about, as its perhaps not intuitive.  Especially in the first version of the firmware when the quick start doesnt work for vdsl and the config wasnt saving.

I believe you should be able to get around it by deleting the existing interfaces and creating your own, but even the guy at ZyXel couldnt get it to work.  It fixed when I updated the firmware..  although I dont know if quick start is working or not now, because Im now in the habit of configuring it myself now I know more what Im doing in there.  You can name the interface what you like and then set your own preferences.

Anyhow in answer to your question... yes you can set up different interfaces. By default you are supplied with 3 but you have the option of creating your own.   In the early versions of firmware I deleted all the supplied interfaces and just had the one that I created.   Now Im using an edited version of the VDSL default...  and theres a tick box where you select the one you want as active.

I'll get some screen grabs of the default configs... and then one of some of the settings that you can change via the GUI.  I'll have to do this from the PC though so it will be later on.
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2014, 08:10:15 PM »

It depends what options are available on the interfaces.  On the HG612 the interfaces don't include the xdsl mode, that is set overall under the dsl tab.  Indeed any "xdslcmd or adsl" command made with  telnet sets the xdsl options for everything so it should not be an interface by interface setting.   Section 5.4 of the Zyxel  manual has an advanced screen with the option of "enabling adsl over ptm"  that looks a bit like an xdsl option page and includes e.g sra and annex m.  However there does not seem to be an equivalent of all the HG612 dsl settings which allow adsl modes and vdsl to be selected.  It looks from the manual as though the default is "all" with exception of PTM which is normally only vdsl but with option of adding adsl over ptm.   That said there is the annex m option, with the HG622 I think (not sure though) that option kills vdsl2. With the Zyxel it depends how mindlessly the annex m option is applied.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

anything