Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: ECI model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev.B Experiences  (Read 18685 times)

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
Re: ECI model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev.B Experiences
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »

Cheers Custard, wasn't aware of that particular command !!

Must have had a re-sync during the night, judging from the stats  :(  That never happened with the HG612  :no:  I could probably get the stats better by triggering a re-connect, but I'm not going to just yet.

Added some code to the monitor to graph upstream SNRm and added a legend to the top right.  In case anyone was wondering, the number in the status bar next to the router address is just a counter that ticks seconds.  It's there purely so I know the program hasn't crashed and won't be in any releases.

Next bit to write I think will be the static graphs.  I'll give that a shot today.

Beta testers will be most welcome, once I get to a stage where I can release something.  There is a bit of a way to go yet !!

***** EDIT *****

Got the bitloading working.  The ECI doesn't seem to want to return the Hlog data though  :no:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:25:25 PM by Blackeagle »
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

custard

• Geeky Dentist
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 03:11:50 PM »

I've got your codes for the fec/crc/es for 24hrs. If you need they can be changed to 15mins or showtime if you want.
Code: [Select]
Alpha # echo " pmdpc1dg 0 0 0" > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd
e/dsl_cpe0_aAlpha # cat /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_ack
nReturn=0 nChannel=0 nDirection=0 nHistoryInterval=0 nElapsedTime=45247 bValid=1
 nHEC=0 nTotalCells=0 nUserTotalCells=0 nIBE=0 nTxUserTotalCells=0 nTxIBE=0 nCRC
_P=0 nCRCP_P=0 nCV_P=0 nCVP_P=0

Alpha # echo " pmdpc1dg 0 1 0" > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd
Alpha # cat /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_ack
nReturn=0 nChannel=0 nDirection=1 nHistoryInterval=0 nElapsedTime=45360 bValid=1
 nHEC=0 nTotalCells=0 nUserTotalCells=0 nIBE=0 nTxUserTotalCells=0 nTxIBE=0 nCRC
_P=0 nCRCP_P=0 nCV_P=0 nCVP_P=0

Alpha # echo " pmcc1dg 0 0 0" > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd
ackAlpha # cat /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_ack
nReturn=0 nChannel=0 nDirection=0 nHistoryInterval=0 nElapsedTime=56619 bValid=1
 nCodeViolations=0 nFEC=4294967277

Alpha # echo " pmcc1dg 0 1 0" > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd
nReturn=0 nChannel=0 nDirection=1 nHistoryInterval=0 nElapsedTime=56656 bValid=1
 nCodeViolations=0 nFEC=116

Alpha # echo " pmlsc1dg 0 0 " > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd
nReturn=0 nDirection=0 nHistoryInterval=0 nElapsedTime=57624 bValid=1 nES=0 nSES
=0 nLOSS=0 nUAS=33 nLOFS=0

Alpha # echo " pmlsc1dg 1 0 " > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd
nReturn=0 nDirection=1 nHistoryInterval=0 nElapsedTime=57655 bValid=1 nES=0 nSES
=0 nLOSS=0 nUAS=33 nLOFS=0

On the point you raised about detecting when your resync occurred:
I have been using the ECI in bridge mode but recently changed it over to dynamic IP to see if it would still connect. After a few minutes it did still connect with the router staying in bridge mode.
With the ECI in bridge mode I was finding the log on the webpage was not been populated past "system started" but now I have the log showing when a resync occurred although the times are not right.
Dec 31 16:01:54 , DHCP: Client receive ACK from 10.160.170.229,IP=30.114.98.126,Lease time=2419200.
Dec 31 16:01:52 , DHCP: Client send REQUEST to server 10.160.170.229request IP=30.114.98.126.
Dec 31 16:01:52 , DHCP: Client receive OFFER from 10.160.170.229.
Dec 31 16:01:52 , DHCP: Client send DISCOVER.
Dec 31 16:01:20 , DHCP: Client send DISCOVER.
Dec 31 16:01:04 , DHCP: Client send DISCOVER.
Dec 31 16:00:56 , DHCP: Client send DISCOVER.
Dec 31 16:00:52 , DHCP: Client send DISCOVER.
*************** , System started.

Alternatively you could send one of the telnet codes for showtime which would provide the number of seconds since the last resync.

With regards to the graphs you are producing you may need to reverse tx power for upstream and downstream.

Lastly earlier in the thread you commented on the piped commands not working sometimes. I've found I can fix this on occasions by killing the pid for last "cat pipe" command in the same way as when webpage access is lost.

Keep up the good work!!

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 05:11:53 PM »

I'll bear in mind the reversal of Tx & Rx power.

Graphing the errors is gonna be fun I think - not exactly sure how that's going to turn out, but we shall see.

I have had zero luck in getting the modem to return any data for the delta stuff.  It just doesn't want to return Hlin, Hlog,or QLN which is a shame as I'd have really liked those graphs  :(

My webpage log isn't empty, theres 5 pages of stuff in there.  As you noted, the time and date are wrong so I presume that the ECI doesn't contact an NTP server.  Possibly I'll look into this at some point.  I'll have a better idea of times of re-sync's (if I get any more) when I've added the speed graphing. I'm already retrieving the value's so adding the graph is pretty trivial.  Most likely it'll be done by tonight  :)

On the subject of graphs, because I've used zedgraph to handle the drawing, you get some nice features as standard.  The graphs are all 'zoomable' with a scroll wheel, and right clicking brings up a menu where you can reset the zoom, save the graph and turn on 'show point data'.  The latter shows the values as you mouse over the graph, so for instance, I zoomed in the bitloading graph, and can tell you that the first tone loaded is tone 10 and its loaded with 2 bits.

I attach a snapshot of the graph zoomed in.

Regarding 'stuck commands'.  Fortunately, the monitor hasn't really had this issue. Occasionally it will pop up a status message of 'bad data returned' but this is more to do with timing than anything.  Trying to read from the modem before the command has finished completing.  Getting the bitloading puzzled me a bit at first as it just wouldn't get the downstream data.  I thought at first the command wasn't working correctly, or I had parsed the data wrongly, but it was actually that I hadn't made the read buffer large enough.   :-[

Unless you have more success than me with getting QLN & Hlog to work, then we won't be getting those graphs  :no:

custard

• Geeky Dentist
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 06:44:54 PM »

Graphing the errors is gonna be fun I think - not exactly sure how that's going to turn out, but we shall see.
I thought there might be some difficulty with these. Maybe you will need to set it up to pull data at 15min intervals for them. You can always use the previous 15mins (history interval =1) so that you get the full interval stats.

I have had zero luck in getting the modem to return any data for the delta stuff.  It just doesn't want to return Hlin, Hlog,or QLN which is a shame as I'd have really liked those graphs  :(
Unless you have more success than me with getting QLN & Hlog to work, then we won't be getting those graphs  :no:
I seemed to recall having an output of these commands a while ago. After searching my computer I realised the codes worked on the ECI/r not the ECI/I.
I've had a go with testing them again and unfortunately I can only report the same results as yourself. :(
Actually on that point I have another ECI/r being delivered to me next week so I was hoping you could still add in QLN and Hlog for use on it. :fingers:

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 09:49:24 PM »

As long as the command is the same, and the data returned is in the same format as the bitloading data, then yes, I can write the code to do the graphs.  I won't be able to test it though obviously but as long as the format returned is the same, my guess is it should work.

I could add an option, either a check box on the main screen, or a drop down options menu to select either the ECI/I or the /R so as not to set up graphs that one version can't use.

Looking at my code, a lot of stuff is repeated e.g. send a command, read the response, parse the response.  This is bad programming as it could all be handled by one routine so a major re-write is in the offing !!  The re-write though will be a side-by-side development.  Code will be added to the current program (as it works pretty well) and then ported to the re-write.  This will make my development branch pretty untidy and probably quite large, but the release version should be much more compact and more stable because of this. I've also figured out a better way of parsing the returned data that should work regardless of whether the read buffer contains 'command, data, command prompt' or 'data, command prompt' (which occurs quite a lot !! Grrrr )

If you can post attachments containing the results of QLN & Hlog from the /r then I can use that to make sure the code works. I'll just grab the data from the file rather than the ECI whilst testing.

Downstream speed is now being graphed.  I'm not too bothered personally about upstream as mine is capped at 2M, but i'll include it at some point as I know various people have had upstream issues.

Because bitloading changes over time, I'm going to change the code to pull the data each sample cycle instead of just snapshot it at the beginning.

Thought - I can get 'gain' easily enough and graph it.  Does this also change over time or is it like Hlog, QLN and a one time deal ? - Perhaps I'll graph it anyways to find out !!

On the subject of 'sample cycles', it's currently hard-coded at 15 secs. I reckon it could go lower to around 10s maybe even 5.  The problem here is that there needs to be a delay between sending a command (eg cat /var/tmp/pipe/tell_me) and reading the result.  Currently i'm delaying by 1/4sec but thats probably far too long and 20ms is likely enough.  If I can get it that low, with no loss of stability, then I can make some options for the sample time.  Thats in the future though.

custard

• Geeky Dentist
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 10:47:48 PM »

I've attached the output for QLN. It may need some work to get the figures into graphs!!

I don't have anything for Hlog. Hopefully someone else can post this using:
echo "g997dhlogg 1 1" > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd 
cat /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_ack
Otherwise i'll get onto it once I have unlocked the eci/r.

You asked whether I noticed any variation in max attainable. The web GUI show that upstream is changing in real-time.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 11:09:03 AM »

I've attached the output for QLN. It may need some work to get the figures into graphs!!

You asked whether I noticed any variation in max attainable. The web GUI show that upstream is changing in real-time.

Its not too bad actually to get that data into a graph.  The formatting is the same as the bitloading data, except the bitloading data is hex and the QLN is decimal.   Those errors though, were they returned by the ECI?  If yes, is it consistent ? 

Regarding Max Attainable .......... Err, it not changing at all in the program was an elementary error on my part  :-[  I only realised after I added code to graph the downstream speed.  At first the graph showed nothing, owing to me not calling that routine on each pass.  That's now fixed.

Might not get much written today, as a large bottle of white is calling to me !!!

custard

• Geeky Dentist
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »

You should be able to check your interleaving level on the webpage or via the telnet commands

Alpha # echo "g997csg 0 0" > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd
nReturn=0 nChannel=0 nDirection=0 ActualDataRate=19992000 PreviousDataRate=20000000 ActualInterleaveDelay=950 ActualImpulseNoiseProtection=26
Alpha # echo "g997csg 0 1" > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd
nReturn=0 nChannel=0 nDirection=1 ActualDataRate=59504000 PreviousDataRate=67212000 ActualInterleaveDelay=975 ActualImpulseNoiseProtection=30
I've had interleaving switched on last night after multiple reboots while testing yesterday.

Early this morning after 24hrs on interleaving DLM has switched me back to fastpath. The sync is about 2.5mb higher than the hg612.
Alpha # echo "g997csg 0 0" > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd ; cat /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_ack ; echo "g997csg 0 1" > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd ; cat /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_ack
nReturn=0 nChannel=0 nDirection=0 ActualDataRate=20000000 PreviousDataRate=19992000 ActualInterleaveDelay=0 ActualImpulseNoiseProtection=0
nReturn=0 nChannel=0 nDirection=1 ActualDataRate=68292000 PreviousDataRate=59280000 ActualInterleaveDelay=0 ActualImpulseNoiseProtection=0

custard

• Geeky Dentist
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 12:20:06 PM »

Its not too bad actually to get that data into a graph.  The formatting is the same as the bitloading data, except the bitloading data is hex and the QLN is decimal.   Those errors though, were they returned by the ECI?  If yes, is it consistent ? 

I only have one output so I'm not sure about the errors, but I've just had a look in the eci/r thread and Asbokid had the QLN and Hlog data using a different command and I don't see any syntax errors. Actually he posted some useful info on how to calculate the actual numbers aswell.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=11818.75
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=11818.90

Reading through the thread again I've also noticed how to place multiple commands on one line so I don't have to send multiple calls and risk losing telnet. :graduate:

Enjoy your poison!!

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 03:52:16 PM »

OK, can't just plot the data returned 'as is' but that's not gonna be a problem.  Asbokid was using a shell script there to send the command.  Is this a standard thing on the /R or is it a quick script he knocked up ?

I've already added a 'check box' for the R model to my program.  If the shell script is standard on that model, then based on that check box being ticked or not, I can format the telnet command accordingly, and miss out the 'cat' part.  I also noticed btagent_arc_version getstat.  That could come in useful!!

custard

• Geeky Dentist
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 05:37:52 PM »

I'm pretty sure that that commands we are sending out to the ECI/I will work on the the ECI/r so you may not need to change them.
I think the shell script used by Asbokid was always there in the ECI/r - http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=11818.msg231616#msg231616.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 08:49:29 PM »

That script also exists on the /i, just in a different location.

Took the data that you supplied for QLN and came up with the graph attached.  Does that look about right ?  I still have to write the routine to actually get the data, but it's virtually the same as bitloading.

Have altered the graphing slightly so that it scrolls a bit better.  I'm still unsure exactly how I'm going to approach graphing the errors, but I'll have a bash at it probably tomorrow now. Might just have to end up grabbing a sample every 15 minutes although I don't feel thats necessarily the way to go. Hmmm..........

custard

• Geeky Dentist
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 11:23:02 PM »

I tried searching for an equivalent script in the ECI/I but could not find it. Would you mind elaborating on where this can be found? The ls tmp/pipe does not show it for me. Are you able to extract QLN/Hlog from there?

The graph looks right from the data given. It looks like nothing is being reported for upstream frequencies and it also reports less information than the HG612. I've attached my QLN from the hg612 for comparison.
You may consider multiplying the tone number by 8 to bring it in line with the other stats programs rather than reporting tone bands. Alternatively you could report it as actual frequencies with spacing of [4.3125KHz x 8].
When I receive my ECI/r i'll see if I can locate the upstream values.

With regards to the error graphs I don't think they will be accurate on the ECI/I as I keep on seeing the odd very large values every now and then. Is this the same for you?
If you don't want to go for the 15min intervals then the other option I have thought about would be to pull the current 15min values and divide that by the elapsed seconds to give you a per second value (or you could have a per min value). This way it does not matter if the data is pulled more frequently than 15 mins.
Hopefully the producers of the other stats programs will see this thread and provide some pointers on how they set up the error graphs.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 08:06:22 AM »

The script lives in a different place, but is present.  The directory is /ifx/vdsl2, so ...

Alpha # ls /ifx/vdsl2
xdslrc.sh                ifx_mei_cpe_drv_init.sh  drv_ifxos.ko
xcpe_hw.bin              ifx_load_ifxos_drv.sh    drv_dsl_cpe_api.ko
vdsl.scr                 ifx_load_dsl_cpe_api.sh  bringup_vdsl.sh
inst_drv_cpe_api.sh      ifx_cpe_control_init.sh  S19setext.sh
inst_driver.sh           dsl_cpe_pipe.sh          S19setext.ori
Alpha #

If you change to that directory (cd /ifx/vdsl2) you can see what each script does with cat <name of script>.  So for example

Alpha # cd /ifx/vdsl2
Alpha # cat dsl_cpe_pipe.sh
#!/bin/sh

pipe_no=0

# use specified pipe no
case "$1" in
        0|1|2)
                pipe_no=$1; shift; ;;
esac

#echo "Call dsl_pipe with $*"
##echo $* > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe${pipe_no}_cmd
##result=`cat /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe${pipe_no}_ack`
        echo "$*" > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd
        result=`cat /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_ack`
echo "$result"

Alpha # cat ifx_cpe_control_init.sh
#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
# Copyright (C) 2010 OpenWrt.org

bindir=/ifx/vdsl2
   fwdir=/ifx/vdsl2
   initdir=/ifx/vdsl2

AUTOBOOT_ADSL=""
   AUTOBOOT_VDSL=""
   NOTIFICATION_SCRIPT=""
   FW_XDSL=""
   FW_FOUND=0
   START_API=1

if [ -e ${bindir}/adsl.scr ]; then
      AUTOBOOT_ADSL="-a ${bindir}/adsl.scr"
   fi

if [ -e ${bindir}/vdsl.scr ]; then
      AUTOBOOT_VDSL="-A ${bindir}/vdsl.scr"
   fi

if [ -e ${initdir}/xdslrc.sh ]; then
      NOTIFICATION_SCRIPT="-n ${initdir}/xdslrc.sh"
   fi

if [ -e ${fwdir}/xcpe_hw.bin ]; then
      FW_XDSL="-f ${fwdir}/xcpe_hw.bin"
      FW_FOUND=1
   fi

##########################################################################
   # start dsl cpe control application with appropriate options

if [ ${FW_FOUND} = 0 -o ${START_API} = 0]; then
      echo "ERROR: No firmware binary avaialable within '${fwdir}'"
      echo "or API start blocked manually."
      echo "NO API started!!!"
   else
      /usr/sbin/dsl_cpe_control -i ${FW_XDSL} ${AUTOBOOT_VDSL} ${AUTOBOOT_ADSL} ${NOTIFICATION_SCRIPT} -t &

PS=`ps`
      echo $PS | grep -q dsl_cpe_control && {
         # workaround for nfs: allow write to pipes for non-root
         while [ ! -e /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe1_ack ] ; do sleep 1; done
         chmod a+w /tmp/pipe/dsl_*
      }
      echo $PS | grep -q dsl_cpe_control || {
         echo "Start of dsl_cpe_control failed!!!"
         false
      }
   fi
Alpha #

Note the OpenWrt ref in the second script!!

Regarding the QLN tones.  Multiplying to get the tone number is easy enough.  Is the HG612 also returning an average for 8 tones ?  Actually, thinking about it, you could have the graph displayed either way.  I could easily put in an option for that.  In fact, as things develop, I'm getting an increasing need for a 'settings screen'.  I've already got some logging of what the program is doing, going to a disk file.  Option to turn that on or off would be good.  I could log the actual data too, as currently, when the graphs of SNR and speed scroll, the data is simply dropped.

Error values.  Yeah I get stupidly high values that disappear quite quickly, in both U/S and D/S.  My initial thinking on this is that its similar to some netgear routers, where passing the GUI a negative number produces a stupidly high result.  I'll start getting some error stats today and just see what happens.  If telnet returns the same odd values, I could at least check for that, and skip apparent "bad" values.

***Edited to add updated QLN graph ***

*** Edited again to add Gain Graph ***

Note Gain does change in real time, and that graph is showing gain in a downstream band I'm not currently able to use. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:15:05 PM by Blackeagle »

custard

• Geeky Dentist
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »

Good find on the script!
So the data can be called using a single command similar to the eci/r although that route still does not provide QLN/Hlog data.
Thanks for letting me know how to inspect the scripts.

Looking at my plink log part of which is attached, it seems that the Hg612 reports individual tones for downstream and 8 tone averages for upstream. Hlog is 8 tone averages.

My telnet data is showing the abnormally high error rates aswell.

I'm still waiting for the eci/r to turn up...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything