Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 V2.0 - IsRunning Error  (Read 2785 times)

Korben_dallas

HG612 V2.0 - IsRunning Error
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:04:13 PM »

Hi,

After some time of running the V2.0 release of the HG612 Stats Package without any issues all of a sudden it has now stopped and instead am getting the IsRunning Text.  I can't see anything that has changed and have been through the software and cant see an apparent issue.

I have perform reboots in order to clear down any stuck tasks but as soon as it restarts it throws up the IsRunning,  I do have the DSL Stats but this is only really run as and when,  the only change I have made but in saying that this was some days prior to the issue was to change the HG612 to one flashed with one of Howlingwolfs firmware, GUI and no BT Agent.

I tried to attach copies of the logs using ZIP files but the when browsing to these it appears that they are ignored if I try to upload them in both cased the file size is less than 200KB.

Many thanks

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: HG612 V2.0 - IsRunning Error
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:53:08 PM »

You could try the attached recent test versions that seem to fix that issue.

I don't really know what the cause was though, other than possibly a known Windows Task Scheduler issue where it occasionally causes the ongoing harvesting schedule to run twice - in very quick succession.

Please let me know how you get on.

Note:

If you still get any ISRUNNING files, they should still be in the Scripts folder.

These latest versions use a different folder for the debugging logs, named "Event & Error Logs".
That's where most of the event/error logs are now stored, to make it 'easier' to find them.

You can also use a different folder for the ongoing modem_stats.log if you wish, but the orininal folder will still be used if you don't change the location.

You will need to unzip ALL the attached programs to the Scripts folder for them to work properly with each other.

Korben_dallas

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 07:06:34 PM »

Hi BE,

Thanks for the updated program, I tried these but to no avail, I then decided to delete the existing task and create a new one but still the same.  I have however managed to upload the log files which still cant understand as to why I had an issue yesterday with them.

My next course of action would be to create a new install of the application however am hoping that you might spot something that is causing the issue before I try this.

Cheers

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:29:31 PM »

I can't really work out what has been happening as the files you uploaded seem to be from different periods & in different folders.

Could you possibly upload logs (or snippets from them) that cover the same periods?

Maybe sight of your HG612_stats.ini file could provide some clues.

The latest versions do write more detail to the ini file when saving any new settings, but the programs are written to use older versions of the ini file & use default settings until anything is changed & saved.

It seems you are running a version of Windows 8.
Has everything been O.K. with W8 until recently?

If so, how long had it been running without any problems?

It does appear that something occasionally slows down your PC, causing a new instance of HG612_stats.exe to start before the previous instance has completed.

It should normally only take a few seconds to complete (somewhere between 2 seconds on a fast PC & around 5 or 6 seconds on a quite slow PC).

That should be dealt with by simply & automatically exiting the new instance & allowing the previous version to continue until it does complete.

The latest versions also contain more error checks to avoid a 'stuck' instance - when data couldn't be obtained & HG612_stats.exe kept looping in a vain attempt to obtain the correct data.

It might well be unrelated, but version 2.0 didn't completely deal with folders with spaces in their names, but the latest versions I posted should be fine.

Korben_dallas

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 12:21:16 AM »

Hi BE,

Many thanks for the response,

I have attached a copy of the INI file as requested, with regards to Windows this is Windows 8.1 64bit and other than the last round of monthly patches from Microsoft at the start of March there have been no other changes.

I think that when selecting files to upload I might have selected one of the orginal files from the V1 release.

The program itself has been running successfully since V2.0 was released.

Regarding Slowdowns, am not aware of any as such however I do know that sometimes the Crashplan application will hog high CPU at around 55% for very brief spells, am told by Crashplan that this is due to the large number of files and data stored on their systems.  This software itself has been running for over 7 months.

What I have done is to archive of the copy of HG612 and create it from scratch using firstly the V2 and then the V2.1 programs,  and so far that seems to have done the trick.  Although this means that my logs have started afresh and the historical data is in the earlier files.

Am totally baffled as to what would have caused the issues,  unfortunately for me the program stopping has coincided with a number of frequent disconnects/resyncs although I don't think that this would have caused the issue ?

Let me know if you want any of the other previous installed application files .

Many thanks

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 06:38:18 AM »

Does Crashplan backup any of the log files?

Crashplan is also a huge memory hog, would be worth checking how much free memory you have. I  upped the memory in my server because Crashplan uses so much. Although I don't think I've noticed it using much CPU. 
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Korben_dallas

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 08:03:10 PM »

Hi Ronski,

Sorry for the delay in replying but was away on a break for a few days.

Crashplan does consume a fair amount of memory, currently it is set to utilise upwards of 1GB and on average utilises 740MB.

It does peak now and again on the CPU front, Code42 say the memory utilisation and CPU utilisation is due to the numbers of files I have backed and isnt related to the amount of data stored.

Cheers

anything