Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 198Khz Droitwich  (Read 9555 times)

• Reg Member
Re: 198Khz Droitwich
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 11:42:11 AM »

All of these have been done exactly the same in the test socket even with the iplate i'm about 70 miles from droitwich. AC balance is 61 which was fine?. Every night the QLN has alot of spikes which only appear after dark? No 50hz wiring by line

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »

I have the issue with the Moorside Edge Transmitter and confirm the RF3 does little at those frequencies here is a before and after of the QLN.
Ideal Epitaph - "I knew I shouldn't have pressed that button"

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »

Sorry which colour is before and after? :). It's the fact it's worse at night AC balance is fine, but the signal cause the line to be all over the place, when the transmitter switches off the adsl is perfectly stable with very little errors. Surely there Must be something wrong?

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 12:35:25 PM »

??? Hard to spot from the performance isnt it?

To be fair there is a marginal improvement over some of the tones but it is not enough to make a credible difference.

I bet you can spot my "three peaks" (Moorside Edge tansmissions) between tones 200-300?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 12:37:35 PM by Semmy »

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 12:46:16 PM »

Yeah and i also noticed you are about the same distance if not shorter from the Droitwich transmitter, but aren't affected as much as i am? http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13555.0
This is what happens during the night, it's a mystery. Your also a mile away and the peak is at -84dbm, i'm about 70 miles from droitwich and still it about -95dbm even with the iplate, faceplate, test socket everything :o :(
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:11:41 PM by Loading »

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 12:17:32 PM »

Has anyone noticed that they keep turning on and off he 198khz frequency it messes with my connection constantly!

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »

I have the issue with the Moorside Edge Transmitter and confirm the RF3 does little at those frequencies

Semmy, I would interpret the results as some rf going round the RF3. There are several other points of entry, even if the modem was in a properly screened box, which isn't usually the case. You have a power connection and probably, Ethernet connections which parallel the modem input.

You said :=

"I like to learn how things work, why they work etc...
Conversation, The desire to exchange views and information.
The desire to make the most of a given situation."

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »

Has anyone noticed that they keep turning on and off he 198khz frequency it messes with my connection constantly!

Yes.  ;)  I explained in your other thread, where you asked, essentially, the same question!
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 01:39:23 AM »

Semmy, I would interpret the results as some rf going round the RF3. There are several other points of entry, even if the modem was in a properly screened box, which isn't usually the case. You have a power connection and probably, Ethernet connections which parallel the modem input.

Hmm, I have tried to eliminate those avenues as much as possible.

I use a short (0.5m) twisted pair cable from the SSFPO to the modem.
The ethernet cables are of the screened/shielded variety (only 1m to the router).
I have a good sized ferrite fitted on the DC adaptor lead.

I hadn't considered direct propogation of the RF into the modem, might be time to consider a faraday cage for that  ;D

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 08:09:04 AM »

Hmm, I have tried to eliminate those avenues as much as possible.

I use a short (0.5m) twisted pair cable from the SSFPO to the modem.
The ethernet cables are of the screened/shielded variety (only 1m to the router).
I have a good sized ferrite fitted on the DC adaptor lead.

I hadn't considered direct propogation of the RF into the modem, might be time to consider a faraday cage for that  ;D

Ferrite - I remember one organisation having a very embarrassing failure with those things !
Mostly a good luck charm !  OK at this frequency you can uses a high permeability core, and possibly tune it

Ethernet cables How long in total from computer via router to modem ?  With a field strength of (from memory) 1 v/meter you don't need much, and screening can be a very good aerial ! Ferrite may help here too.

Faraday cage - you need Electromagnetic Wave screening not just capacitive. Don't waste your time with non-conductive "metallic" paint - a biscuit tin with holes for cables & ventilation is a quick option. Oven foil is probably too thin at 1 MHz to give much effect, OK at much higher frequencies.

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 05:15:46 PM »

To be honest I suspect the overhead line into the house really is the primary source.
Having mapped the locations I get the following (see attached piccy).

12 miles almost line of sight (I am on a hill crest facing the transmitter), a 16.3 m overhead wire that crosses the line of sight at nearly 90 degrees makes for good reception!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:49:27 PM by Semmy »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 06:29:58 PM »

Ouch!  :ouch:

It looks as if things are set for optimal reception from the transmitter into the drop cable.  :(

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 10:48:45 PM »

So as my next "experiment" I decided to pursue JGOs suggestion concerning a faraday cage for the modem to see what happened.

Hmm.. What to use though? A quick trip to Wickes and I am the owner of some 6mm x 6mm galvanised mesh (a steal at £2.49 for 1m x 1m).
When I get home I fabricate a 7" x 7" x 2" box using 1mm copper wire to "stitch" the sides together.
This is then connected with a 1MOhm resistor (to isolate any potential ground issues) in series to a convenient central heating pipe.

The results are as on the following graphs.... Amazingly there are some changes!  ???
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:56:47 PM by Semmy »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 11:20:06 PM »

Amazingly there are some changes!  ???

Nothing was immediately obvious to me.  ???

However, after careful study, I notice a difference at approximately tone 330. What are the other changes of which you are aware?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:01:07 AM by burakkucat »

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 11:30:28 PM »

I ran a comparison of the bare numbers in excel comparing means for the differing bands etc.
There is approximately a 0.63% improvement over all  :lol:

This tends to indicate it is not a problem I need to fix, though I will let it stand for a couple of days to monitor error rates.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything