Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gnome or KDE?  (Read 12826 times)

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
Gnome or KDE?
« on: January 12, 2008, 06:17:25 PM »

Any views?

I will try PCLOS Live CDs with both but would appreciate hearing of any potential pitfalls before I make a complete pratt of myself  :-[
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Gnome or KDE?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 06:19:30 PM »

I think the general advice is suck-it-and-see-which-you-prefer! I always preferred the look and feel of KDE, but we're talking probably 8 years ago now. Both have evolved so much that they are probably totally unrecognisable from when I first dabbled.

I'll leave it to the experts to confirm, but I don't think there's much between them apart from person preference. I *think* KDE is more popular nowadays but I may well be wrong.

I probably shouldn't have even replied!!
Chris

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 06:23:43 PM »

FWIW I preferred Gnome when I was dabbling with Linux. As Chris said it's down to personal preference.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »

Both of them are perfectly usable of course, and as the others have said, it's really just personal preference. KDE is more configurable, but Gnome is perhaps 'cooler'. Kde has a user interface which is very similar to Windows, and Gnome is more Mac-like.
  Eric

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 08:56:29 PM »

Just downloaded the Gnome version of PCLOS and ran it.

It chuntered away in typical Linux fashion, got the the Time Zone setting and stopped  ???.

If Gnome is regarded as "cool" then I will go with KDE, at least it works.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »

Whatever went wrong it was nothing to do with Gnome. But don't let me try to persuade you either way. I personally prefer KDE. :)
  Eric

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 01:23:40 PM »

Just installed PCLOS (KDE) to a brand new Hard Disk.

I'm less than convinced and have gone back to XP for the time being.  I will try and find answers to some of the issues raised and will give it another go later.  On the whole I can't say that I like the Tonka toy interface that much, too much like the XP Luna theme  :(.  Bit perturbed to see that PCLOS found only 890 Mb of my 2 Gb RAM, and when I logged off and on again as Root the whole thing crashed  :'(.

Oh well, if at first you don't succeed get somebody else to do it tomorrow.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 09:16:52 PM »

make a complete pratt of myself  :-[

Do worry about that, you can reinstall if it gets too much of a mess like I had to do on my last attempt at Linux last year.

Don't tell anyone but I have downloaded a Distro the other day and burnt it on a disk, I then installed it on a spare machine but when I booted it up it was the completely the wrong Distro I had burnt on to the CD Rom.  ???
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 10:16:37 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 10:38:57 PM »

We won't tell anyone, so long as you're good. :D
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 10:43:50 PM »

We won't tell anyone, so long as you're good. :D

I will order some new glasses !.
I keep all my downloads in one folder and there must be hundreds in there and it was late.  ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 02:32:34 PM »

I think Gnome is perhaps a better choice for a new user - ie someone who hasn't really used Windows before.

I really like the Synaptics package manager in PCLOS - its currently downloading and installing hundreds of packages now :)

There was a "gotcha" though in the install wizard for the Gnome edition of PCLOS - I installed on an old hard drive and didn't overwrite the MBR prior to the install. I then selected "Erase disk and use it all" (or whatever the wording is) and it all came to a grinding halt as it insisted on having a 7GB NTFS partition which obviously then couldn't be formatted ext3. The wizard just bombed at that point. No big deal as selecting "custom partition setup" and then creating/formatting swap, home and / partitions worked fine. I think I'd recommend just following the Install Help which walks you through the install flawlessly.

Never did trust "wizards" :P

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 03:00:47 PM »

>> Never did trust "wizards"

I rather tend to agree with you. I usually avoid them because I like to know exactly what's being done rather than trust a robotic utility to do it for me. But wizards can help a newcomer get going, whereas manual partitioning (for example) can be a complete mystery, and to be fair the wizards usually work pretty well. Your experience was a bit unusual.
  Eric

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 05:48:13 PM »

Hmmm I don't suppose you know how to get Totem to actually play sound from a DVD? Video is fine (once libdvdcss2 is installed) but sound is AWOL.

I had a quick google around and it seems like lots of people have this problem - the advice seems to be "Use xine" which I have tried but that just whinges about not being able to read the DVD. I haven't had time to work out quite what it is on about yet :)

I suppose I could use VLC instead?

Minor problems anyway as I'd never watch a DVD on a PC - I'd have it ripped to MPEG4 with all the menuing/pirate crud taken out ;)

Time to make dinner anyway :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 06:49:40 PM »

Multimedia in Linux can be fun sometimes. One package which you're very likely to need is w32codecs, which should be available from the PCLOS repository.
  Eric

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 07:33:47 PM »

I don't think its a codec problem as the disk I'm trying uses AC3 and I can get Totem to play an AC3 file from the hard drive. The system seems to think the DVD drive is region 1 (it isn't) so maybe that's the problem. Probably the quickest way to prove/disprove that is to rip the disk using DVDShrink and remove the region encoding.
Pages: [1] 2