Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Andrew Marr show.  (Read 5521 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Andrew Marr show.
« on: March 02, 2014, 09:25:11 AM »

The article below, has just got a very quick mention on the AM show.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/02/fast-broadband-vital-to-homebuyers?guni=Keyword:news-grid main-1 Main trailblock:Editable trailblock - news:Position6

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Andrew Marr show.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:42:22 AM »

I think people for those that frequent broadband related to sites, this won't come as a big surprise and its something that we've seen happening since maxdsl was brought out.   

My cousin atm is house hunting, purely because he runs his own business and wants a faster connection.  He lives about 400m from the same cab that I'm attached to.  He's about 300m from the exchange....  But the difference is...  He's on the 'wrong side' of the main road.  It would appear that bt have run fibre right down the main road..  And depending on which side you live depends on whether you get fttc or not, nor is there anything showing as due at anytime soon.  I'm guessing the problem is somehow taking the fibre to the other side, because it's such an obvious divide. 

Also interesting at the end of that link is the ofcom regulations for repair and installation times.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 11:14:19 AM »

I've no requirement for very fast speeds, but when moving house at the end of 2012, I certainly wouldn't have bought a property where the expected speed was appreciably below 5Mb/s. When looking around, the fact that this place had a sync of 20Mb/s definitely added to its appeal.  :)

Also interesting at the end of that link is the ofcom regulations for repair and installation times.

Interesting indeed. Who knows - perhaps in time it'll be as good as pre-Openreach days.  ::)
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 06:08:01 PM »

I too rarely feel constricted by my usual 4-ish Mbps connection speed.

But... For example, a decade or so ago I was happy at the time with dial-up speeds for browsing and email.  But as the rest of the world moved to broadband so the website authors started to include more content, flash animations etc, rendering dial up useless.  Equally, plain text email became rare, modern email bodies are much bigger with html formatting and embedded images.   I certainly wouldn't like to try and use email, or browse today's web at dialup speeds.

That will be the problem for the 2 million odd households that BT will proudly ignore in their '90% coverage' goal.   We'll have a world where there is an assumption (90% correct) of high speed data for all manner of services, yet over 2 million homes will be stuck with technology that is incompatible with these new services and the future internet.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 06:20:04 PM »

Don't think they will "Proudly ignore", 7LM.
We've covered this more than once previously, blame Thatcher for selling the silver. BT Openreach are a profit-making business, unless there's a business case (ie: BDUK funding etc) for the 2 million households, it probably wont get done.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just applying facts rather than emotion.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 07:33:10 PM »

:D Black Sheep the Human input does rely on emotions with out that we would be like a circuit board following instruction, it's such a pity Money seems to rule BT/Openreach's conscience and not the facts (everyone with an emotion want's FTTC/FTTH righ now)  ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:39:43 PM by NewtronStar »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 07:39:03 PM »

Yes I know that. It's a figure of speech, Newtron.  :)

I wouldn't be lobbying BT, or any other business with the line, "It's a pity money seems to rule BT/Openreach's conscience ......".   You'd be laughed outside the door in seconds, I'm afraid.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »

Don't think they will "Proudly ignore", 7LM.
We've covered this more than once previously, blame Thatcher for selling the silver. BT Openreach are a profit-making business, unless there's a business case (ie: BDUK funding etc) for the 2 million households, it probably wont get done.

Without wishing to fall out, I'll stand by my choice of words.   BT do seem to be portraying themselves as 'proud' of the part they will play in high speed rollout.

The fact the whole thing (high speed rollout) is a pathetic shambles is most certainly not the fault of BT, but I wish they (BT) would publicly admit it is a shambles, and stop trying to claim any credit from it.   It need not (and should not) reflect badly on them, but they need to stop perpetuating the idea that a mere 90% is anwhere near adequate.

Just my opinion, and I'll reiterate my oft stated sentiment that, at the level of individual employees, pretty much everybody I have met from BT have been excellent, honest, open and helpful.   :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 08:08:18 PM »

I wouldn't be lobbying BT, or any other business with the line, "It's a pity money seems to rule BT/Openreach's conscience ......".   You'd be laughed outside the door in seconds, I'm afraid.

Well Money does not rule my conscience and I think it's a Human right to be treated equally, but Big companys don't have to sign up for that it's called capitalism and I think BT should be made more accountable to the general public in the UK or transfer back to the state if they can't deliver on there promises.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:10:26 PM by NewtronStar »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 08:27:52 PM »

I would hope we don't "Fall out", over something as trivial as personal opinions on how a large company conducts its business, 7LM ??. That's all it is.  :drink:.

I just think there's a lot of anti-BT postings that do not portray the whole story. People just see what they want to see, and a lot of it is through emotional ties, as in being unable to get FTTC/FTTP etc etc.

I've always been honest about my experiences with BT, I see the poor management decisions made day-to-day, amongst other things. But, they are certainly not "Proud" of the shortcomings of FTTC/P in certain parts of the country. They are  however, proud of what they have achieved thus far and rightly so, the number of satisfied EU's far, far, far outweighs those that aren't. That's a plus on any business's account sheet.

BT are never going to satisfy all the problems overnight, nor are they going to do it without funding. NO, that's NO other company was prepared to invest in BDUK. Even BT has admitted it will take two decades to recoup their investment !! So, we're left with a situation of 'It is what it is'.
As has been commented elsewhere, the Government could have invested heavily into the roll-out if they had wanted to, but they didn't. Not BT's fault as some would try and infer.
Where do you begin to prioritise the roll-out if (the royal) you were heading up Openreach ?? Take 'Digital Region' subscribers for example, who were funded by Europe and chose to use them instead of BT. There were plenty of EU's more than happy with DR and happy to say so. When it eventually went south, the call for BT's FTTC was pretty much immediate. Would you then ditch the Openreach roll-out plan to accommodate the unfortunate EU's in those areas ?? Tough choices are having to be made daily.

No business has it 100% correct, BT are no different. I genuinely appreciate your comments about the employees though, I like to think the greater percentage of staff do want to help the EU.

This post will probably attract 'Incoming' in my direction, so be it. As I said at the beginning they are only opinions ..... it doesn't matter what we say, 'it is what it is' and so it's OK to say ones piece.  :) :) 

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 08:40:17 PM »

Well Money does not rule my conscience and I think it's a Human right to be treated equally, but Big companys don't have to sign up for that it's called capitalism and I think BT should be made more accountable to the general public in the UK or transfer back to the state if they can't deliver on there promises.

With respect, Newtron, we are not talking about a 'Gamblers Anonymous' session here. Being treated 'Equal' and being 'Conscious' about money. It is as you say, capitalism. The right to make profit, and as a shareholding company (Thanks to Thatcher), we have a DUTY to show a profit. Good luck if you're going to wage a campaign to make business accountants look deep within themselves ??  ;D ;D.

I for one,would love for us to go back to being government owned, by the way.  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 08:40:47 PM »

We are not going to fall out it's a good discussion and it's a topic all BroadBanders love  ;)

What gets me with Openreach in the UK is we a falling behind the rest of the World when it comes to Broadband speeds we are slower than some third World countrys and is it being addressed, and don't get me started about the cost as we have the highest cost for BroadBand in Europe this is nothing to be proud of :-[ so stick that in your next election manivest Cameron  :thumbdown:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:55:15 PM by NewtronStar »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 08:49:14 PM »

I know, Newtron, it's just the topic has been done to death various times. The same old arguments 'For and against', raise their heads but nothing changes. It can't, nobody else is prepared to put their cash on the table and invest into Fibre. Not even Virgin who have a partial network as it is !!!!

So long as we all wake up tomorrow morning, things are just fine.  ;) :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 08:58:50 PM »

So long as we all wake up tomorrow morning, things are just fine.  ;) :)

Yeap that's the main thing, as long as your health is good all other stuff becomes secondary  :)

anything