Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wireless charging.  (Read 7602 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Wireless charging.
« on: February 16, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »

Am I missing the point here with wireless charging?

1) Your phone's cable port needs to be attached to an iQi card, which is fair enough I can understand that (until they become built in).

2) The base station device (puck)  needs to be plugged into a power supply.  -  Yep that makes sense.

3) But for the phone to charge it needs to sit directly on top of the charging puck, and if its not aligned just right, then the phone wont charge.

So you can wirelessly charge 'on the go'.   You plug the puck into a power supply / car cigarette lighter / PC / Laptop,  then you align and site the phone on top of the puck. 
Wait a minute..  wouldnt it be much easier to plug the phone directly into the PC/ car charger,  that way you only carry one cable rather than the puck and its cable?..  and save yourself £50.

:confused:

So moving on whats the big difference then between a docking station and one of these, when both have to make physical contact with your phone?   Am I the only one in thinking that 'wireless' seems the wrong definition here?

[youtube]S_gAnsLDJ-w[/youtube]

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Wireless charging.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »

I agree with you - there doesn't seem to be any point, when you can connect a cable directly more easily. My only experience of wireless charging is with an electric toothbrush, and that does make sense because there are no exposed electrical contacts to get wet.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 12:34:06 AM »

>  then you align and site the phone on top of the puck.  Just a minor point, but the phone does not need to be aligned on top of the puck in a particular direction, (as can be seen in the video)

I think the main advantage is that of just being able to place the phone down without having to mess around with plugging in any cables, as with some taxies and charging stations with charging points where the phone is just placed on the charging shelf, which obviously reduces any wear-n-tear on the phones fixed socket and is quick and easier.

However, as you say, if having to carry around all of the charging accessories then it could become tedious and inconvenient if using the charging adaptor in the video.

Edit
I also asked a question only last week with regards to wireless charging and was told overcharging can also still apply as with wired charging, so again, be aware of not leaving the device on the charger for longer than necessary or recommended.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:36:35 AM by oldfogy »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 10:32:28 PM »

Well thanks to this thread I've discovered I can get a QI wireless charger for my S4 which fits inside the original phone back. Samsung have always done a wireless charger for the S4 but it meant fitting a thicker rear panel to the phone which meant it probably wouldn't fit in my Otterbox case.

I find that the case makes it awkward to plug in the charging cable, so wireless charging will certainly make things easier for me.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:50:42 PM »

My only experience of wireless charging is with an electric toothbrush, and that does make sense because there are no exposed electrical contacts to get wet.

Wireless, as in without wires, yes. But only by inductive coupling and not by usage of radio frequency energy, surely?  ???
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 11:08:33 PM »

Just in case it's of any use, I just come across this site which shows various types of base stations for different phones.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/10-wireless-charging-pads-for-Qi-enabled-smartphones_id42201#2-Oregon-Scientific-Time--amp-Wireless-Charging-Station

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 11:21:11 PM »

My only experience of wireless charging is with an electric toothbrush, and that does make sense because there are no exposed electrical contacts to get wet.

Wireless, as in without wires, yes. But only by inductive coupling and not by usage of radio frequency energy, surely?  ???

Yes that's right. It didn't occur to me that it would be done any other way. I know nothing about the subject.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 11:36:54 PM »

b*cat smiles and nods.  :)

Even he, at first reading, has interpreted wireless charging (charging without wires, by inductive coupling) as charging by the transmission of energy at radio frequencies.  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything