Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Police will have 'backdoor' access to health records despite opt-out, says MP  (Read 6531 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen

David Davis MP, a former shadow home secretary, told the Guardian he has established that police will be able to access the health records of patients when investigating serious crimes even if they had opted out of the new database, which will hold the entire population's medical data in a single repository for the first time from May.

theguardian.com

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

We had a leaflet pushed through our doors last month about this.   
I must admit I was very dubious about the 3rd party information.    As I was going into my GPs surgery later that day to pick up a prescription I asked about opting out.   Only to be told, they didnt know how to do so.   The receptionist called someone else over, but it seemed I could opt out of the whole lot, but the confusion was over the 3rd party stuff.

I dont mind info being shared beween hospitals, ie if I was in a different town and had and accident and had to go into hospital, I dont mind if they can see my records to check medicines etc.

But I really dont like the idea of it being available to 3rd parties..   which usually means somewhere along the line someone will stuff up and information will be made public where it shouldnt be.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Berrick

• Reg Member

Unfortunately whether we like it or not, opt out or what ever privacy is a thing of the past. The reality is we practicable give away our personal information without thinking about. Everything we do one line is monitored and stored as recent revelations by Mr Snowdon have proven.

Any one using a smart phone, iphone or andriod are tracked unless you read the app agreements carefully to see what they are collecting or tracking. This is just one link from a quick search http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/investigations/is-your-smartphone-spying-on-you-how-tech-companies-track-your-every-move.

The futures bright nope its scary! As the internet moves to IPv6 and the unpronounceable number of IP addresses it allows  potentially everything or person now in the future could be given a unique IP address and be tracked. Even if that didn't happen face recognition technology is already being trialed that can pick out an individual from crowds so they track you that way!
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

BritBrat

• Kitizen

I opted out months ago.

It is not one database you have to opt out of but at least two.

The point of this post was that even if you opted out police still have access !.

But you can trust the polices, yes?

Plebgate, Hillsborough I will let you decide.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:10:39 PM by BritBrat »

renluop

• Kitizen

I'll swim against the tide of popular opinion! Because with the experiences of the last 15-20 years, I'd much rather my medical info be available easily when needed.

Anyone is welcome to see what I've got! (Clarification: not Naked Rambler style :scare:).

BritBrat

• Kitizen

That's fine but I would rather wait and see what happens.

Once in you can't get out.

But out you can opt in at any time.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen

>> I'd much rather my medical info be available easily when needed.

I have no issue with that, its the 3rd party information.   
As mentioned in my post above, from what I can gather when I asked at my GPs, I could have opted out of the other medical places which Im quite happy to leave on records, and its the 3rd party that they werent sure about or how to do it.   

Britbrat has mentioned theres several databases, and it seemed it would have been easy for me to opt out of the one where info can be shared with other hospitals and surgeries etc, but it was 'the others' that seemed to cause them difficulties.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog

https://www.faxyourgp.com/

This site was set up yesterday, launched at an Open Rights meeting.  It's spun off from the old faxyourMP site.  Using it, you can send an automated fax to your GP surgery to opt out of the care.data sharing of your medical records.

Privacy of that site seems good, and has been set up from genuine concern.

Ian

BritBrat

• Kitizen

Giant NHS database rollout delayed.

The start of a new NHS data-sharing scheme in England involving medical records is being delayed by six months.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen

I was at my GP's surgery this afternoon and I asked again about the opt out.
There was still much confusion about how it was done.   They showed me the forms I had to fill one in, but it wasnt clear and looked like a load of gobbledygook and I couldnt figure out which was which for the opt out. 

They let me fill in the form, and said they are going to attempt to contact someone to find out exactly how they should be processing these forms, which dont seem to tie up with the software.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

https://www.faxyourgp.com/

This site was set up yesterday, launched at an Open Rights meeting.  It's spun off from the old faxyourMP site.  Using it, you can send an automated fax to your GP surgery to opt out of the care.data sharing of your medical records.

Privacy of that site seems good, and has been set up from genuine concern.

I have made use of the above service (thanks Ian) and will see what happens.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen

Thanks from me too Ian,   I had a look, but since I'd already pestered them this afternoon, I thought that sending that through tonight may confuse them further  :lol:

I'm glad its being delayed, there seems to be an awful lot of people who dont know about it..  and much confusion from the GP aspect too :(

If its not sorted in another couple of months and they cant get their act together I may just opt out of the whole lot entirely.  The confusion and incompetence up to date doesnt bode well for the future and how secure your records are.   

I was discussing this matter this afternoon with my daughter as she'd come with me..  and she also was concerned about the 3rd party aspect. 
Im totally concerned about the privacy aspect and just who does have access to what.  Its like she says, could it give your employer right to access your info, and just who could access it... like theres mention of the police...  it only takes one rouge person to be on the take who may have access and sell on your info. 

Theres also other aspects to be bourne in mind (not that any apply to me), but what if you have records on their about sexual health aspects, or say an abortion... those things should be kept private, if that information got in the wrong hands it could lead to devastation for some people.   We all know what the media is like and how they can sometimes get their hands on stuff they shouldnt. 
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

The whole thing is of no direct benefit to patients. It will be no use to doctors and hospitals treating you, because the data is anonymised. The only benefit is that which accrues from the data being available to medical researchers. In my opinion the risk (certainty?) of confidential data getting into the wrong hands far outweighs the likely benefits. I will certainly be opting out.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen

I agree with Eric, I can see no patient benefit and will opt out. There does seem to be some confusion about whether or not you can opt out completely. See the information here which explains that it is possible that you data could still be used even if you opt out! You can also download a letter template if you dont trust a fax to arrive.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

BritBrat

• Kitizen

Just to add to the confusion, and yes I went through this months ago.

There are two things you may want to opt-out of.

Summary Care Record

It seems to me that best form of action if this is so valuable to the patient is to have an op-in system, then you know each and  every patient has read and understood the options and taken an informed choice.

Do babies from birth get a choice at the moment?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:35:08 AM by BritBrat »
Pages: [1] 2