Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best VDSL2 Modem/Router (Highest Sync Speed)  (Read 22099 times)

Shadowsong

• Just arrived
Best VDSL2 Modem/Router (Highest Sync Speed)
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:28:57 PM »

Hi All,

looking for a bit of advice on my modem/router purchase to go with my new FTTC install. I currently use the Openreach modem that was provided, but would like an all in one box and ideally some slightly better speeds.

I am about 20-30 meters from the cabinet, and currently have a 77.44Mb/20.00Mb IP Profile which don't get me wrong is quite nice (Can't check sync speed). But I'm certain I can get an 80.00Mb IP Profile considering how close I am.

Key things I'm looking for - (Price isn't an option in this case)
  • Highest sync speed I can get
  • 4x Gigabit Ports
  • N Wireless or better
  • G.Vector Support

Currently my only suggestion is the Fritz!Box 7940 (International Version) http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/FRITZBox_7490/index.php
However this is hard to get hold of at the moment, and there is little to no information about its VDSL2 performance.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:34:09 PM by Shadowsong »

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Re: Best VDSL2 Modem/Router (Highest Sync Speed)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 09:13:33 PM »

You are running at the full 80Mbps sync speed, the IP Profile is 96.79% of sync speed for FTTC services. It is not possible to have a profile of 80Mbps.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 09:40:30 PM »

>>> 4x Gigabit Ports

Unfortunately that is what seems to let a lot of the FTTC modem routers down, and why Im also waiting for a gap in the market to be filled. Draytek do one but its pricey and not that well rated from what Ive seen.
I think there may also be a Zyxel that fits but I cant recall the model number now :/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:46:24 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 10:00:36 PM »

I think there may also be a Zyxel that fits but I cant recall the model number now :/

Its the Zyxel SBG3300-N

There's a discussion about it in this thread where its owner quotes it as being

By the way, this Zyxel 3300N modem is a nice bit of kit

and as you can see here its one I have my eye on, but just hoping the price comes down a bit first. Its currently retailing at about £150, but thats still a fair bit cheaper than the Fritzbox and the Draytek
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Shadowsong

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:46:59 PM »

You are running at the full 80Mbps sync speed, the IP Profile is 96.79% of sync speed for FTTC services. It is not possible to have a profile of 80Mbps.  :)

Thanks for the clarification, would have probably worked it out for myself but being unable to see the sync speed is a pain! Another reason why I want to ditch the openreach modem :)

Shadowsong

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:51:06 PM »

Its the Zyxel SBG3300-N

There's a discussion about it in this thread where its owner quotes it as being

By the way, this Zyxel 3300N modem is a nice bit of kit

and as you can see here its one I have my eye on, but just hoping the price comes down a bit first. Its currently retailing at about £150, but thats still a fair bit cheaper than the Fritzbox and the Draytek

That does look quite interesting, I also notice that it is designed for the business sector so it might be a bit more robust then the residential routers. On that topic are there any other business level routers i could look at, again not to concerned about the price if I get the quality.

That router only supports up to 17a line profile though, ideally i'm after something that supports 30a which i'm certain is what they will use when G.Vector comes in shortly.

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 11:19:31 PM »

The openreach modems do come into their own once their unlocked....

As for business level routers....
Vigor 2860 (n) & (v) Series - by Draytek  is a business SME staple
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2860#5-wifi

An unlocked openreach modem paired with asus NT66 running merlin /ddwrt/openwrt or would be another outside the box option ;)

Shadowsong

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 11:51:38 PM »

The openreach modems do come into their own once their unlocked....

As for business level routers....
Vigor 2860 (n) & (v) Series - by Draytek  is a business SME staple
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2860#5-wifi

An unlocked openreach modem paired with asus NT66 running merlin /ddwrt/openwrt or would be another outside the box option ;)

Thanks, was just looking at that router! http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=15297

Would actually be similar price to the Fritz!Box 7490, but after looking through forums the 2860 doesn't have confirmed Vectoring support. With it rolling out this year, the last thing I want to is buy a product that i will need to upgrade.

https://twitter.com/DrayTekUK/statuses/427164538874507264
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:57:15 PM by Shadowsong »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 12:45:27 AM »

I wonder how far Zyxel are with this, obviously though until its released and stated in the specs, its all meaningless.

I asked Zyxel how they plan accommodate rumoured forthcoming changes to tone scheme on Infinity - they tell me they plan a firmware update for December.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »

personally I think the best combo is using a unlocked hg612 alongside a decent commercial router or a pc based router.  Think of the annoyance of been scared to reboot the router due to also rebooting the modem.  The only downside of using both I see is sacrificing a ethernet port if want to monitor stats.  Some people get round that by using a switch of course.

also I am annoyed with fritz now as they seem to have rolled out new firmwares for their flagships but ignored devices like the 3370, I dont take kindly to companies that ignore their lower end product support.  The 3370 is still on the firmware it shipped with, not a single update.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:47:07 PM by Chrysalis »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 09:37:03 PM »

also I am annoyed with fritz now as they seem to have rolled out new firmwares for their flagships but ignored devices like the 3370, I dont take kindly to companies that ignore their lower end product support.  The 3370 is still on the firmware it shipped with, not a single update.

Playing Devil's Advocate.  >:D

Are you aware of any defect in the 3370's original firmware? If not, then why should there be an update?  :P
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 09:50:40 PM »

vectoring support for one, the current firmware doesnt support vectoring, plus the fritz feature updates.

fritz advertised their products that would use unified firmware, so would have equal software features.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 10:05:37 PM »

Continuing in Pesky Cat mode . . .

vectoring support for one, the current firmware doesnt support vectoring

As it is currently not deployed in the UK (other than in test areas), I can't see why you expect it to be supported by the firmware!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 04:05:49 AM »

My point was I expect the 3370 to get the same software features as their high end models.  Its quite simple.  It was marketed by fritz thats how they rollout their firmwares. so if one device gets new firmware they all get it.

The 3370 in its current state at least outside of germany appears to be not getting support, in terms of updates.

Also getting vectoring is obviously future proofing the product. 

They have g.vector on the 7390 (along with other new features) but not the 3370, my issue is that the 7390 has it but not the 3370, if the 7390 was the same firmware version of the 3370 I wouldnt be bothered.

As a comparison asus continue to rollout new firmwares for the rt-n16 even tho its not a latest product and not a highend flagship.

Also consider fritz hardware is generally overpriced.  This generally makes one expect higher standards as well.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 07:01:30 PM »

Fair points.  :)

And something to discuss with AVM?  :-\

Pages: [1] 2

anything