Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL2 PCIe Cards?  (Read 17047 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
VDSL2 PCIe Cards?
« on: January 26, 2014, 12:12:13 PM »

Just wondering why I can't find any PCIe(or PCI) VDSL2 cards from any manufacturers? There are ADSL cards but not VDSL. For people who want or need to build their own routers they'd be very useful. Has anyone seen any or know of any company that's due to manufacture some?  :-\

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: VDSL2 PCIe Cards?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »

I dont Im afraid.   TBH trying to purchase a decent VDSL2 modem/router isnt any easy task either.

There seems to be a huge gap in the market place when it comes to VDSL2 equipment for users who would like to use anything other than the BT Openreach modem.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:11:02 AM »

Yes, perhaps some cards will turn up as VDSL deployments increase around the globe. The only separate VDSL cards I've come across are expansion modules for Cisco and Juniper routers.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:01 PM »

Not a recommendation but just a suggestion . . .

Perhaps asking StarTech (whose slogan is "Hard-to-find made easy") may turn up something?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

timmay2

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 08:59:46 PM »

I still can't find anything that would solve this issue.

Just started doing bonded FTTC/VDSL2 and I can do this properly as the company I work for has actually unbundled BT exchanges so we bond the lines in the exchange (bond the handover vlan). This is unlike all other ISP's where the connection gets bonded in a data centre and therefore has to go in and out doubling the capacity needed and increasing latency.

I either need PCI modems and can build a 'server' for the customer end or I need nice rack mountable modems where 10x modems can slot into 2U in a rack for example, then 10x Ethernets into the bonding router.

This is about to become more of an issue as BT will soon stop supplying modems.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 11:57:15 AM »

How do you bond, is it MLPP?  Wondering about VDSL ewics in a Cisco router.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 09:50:07 PM »

I still can't find anything that would solve this issue.

Yes, I don't really understand it, must just be a question of supply and demand. There used to be various ADSL PCI cards about, but nobody seems to have updated them for VDSL and PCI-e. Had a look on AliExpress(given that the Chinese will manufacture any electronic device you can imagine), and nothing cropped up.  :no:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 11:46:48 PM »

Multi link PPP isn't ideal for xDSL lines, because the lines may run at different speeds and MLPPP was really best suited to ISDN where the pipes are identical.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 05:28:30 PM »

Good point, although I believe MLPPP can be used without fragmentation making it effectively just packet by packet load balancing.  I was going to hop onto a customer router and look at an example, but for some reason can't access it from here.   However in the context of this question the kit would have to match the way the service provider has chosen to do the bonding, whether it's sharing a single IP address (by whatever method) or load balancing over multiple independent links.   What mechanism does A&A use for example? 

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 10:34:13 PM »

A & A uses per-IP packet weighted round-Robbin load balancing, distributing the IP packets over multiple pipes. A Firebrick series 6000 at A & A does the work of splitting a packet stream over several lines, in my case a FB 2500 does the reverse, and combines an incoming set of lines into one stream, simply poured onto the LAN, and also handles the upstream load-splitting in a similar  way.

seg1

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 12:25:46 PM »

If it's still of interest, there is now this:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigornic-132

VigorNIC 132 - VDSL on a PCIe card

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 03:16:24 PM »

Thanks