Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A new wave of Phishing  (Read 9369 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: A new wave of Phishing
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 07:29:32 PM »

I know it's not the same thing but.

Goldfish Bank Ltd have been taken over (AGAIN) this time by Barclays Bank PLC.
So in the near future don't be surprised if and when accessing your "Goldfish" on-line account if the words Barclays crops up.

This is perfectly genuine.

(I truly have forgotten the amount of times this card/bank has changed owners)

scottiesmum

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 08:17:21 PM »

I have a had a couple purporting to be from French institutions, but they are all in English  !!!!!  ???

Ian

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 07:06:25 PM »

I don't know if it's phishing but oldfogy and I have both received e-mails purporting to be from UPS saying they were unable to deliver a postal package to us, with a tracking number and an attachment.  As the reply address was tequila com I smelled bad phish.  I don't know what happens if you open the attachment, which claims to be a copy invoice to print, but it can't be good.

Edit:
I have removed the link that you posted so that no one tries it out of curiosity

dave
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:35:34 PM by dave.m »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 08:52:22 PM »

Ian,
If you open the attachment within the email.

YOU GET A VIRUS ON YOUR PC

And a new VIRUS one that is also dong the rounds is:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/22/fake_alonso_car_crash_trojan/
The fake news story, supposedly from Spanish daily El Pais, has two-time motor racing champion seriously injured on Tuesday in an accident in the norther city of Bilbao. The bogus story, distributed via spam emails, links to a video clip depicting what appears to be a spectacular blaze. The clip installs malware onto the PC of those falling for the ruse.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 10:49:03 PM by oldfogy »

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 09:51:30 PM »

I don't know if it's phishing but oldfogy and I have both received e-mails purporting to be from UPS saying they were unable to deliver a postal package to us, with a tracking number and an attachment.  As the reply address was tequila com I smelled bad phish.  I don't know what happens if you open the attachment, which claims to be a copy invoice to print, but it can't be good.

Edit:
I have removed the link that you posted so that no one tries it out of curiosity

dave

I had this one the other day and I just clicked my 'junk'  button on Thunderbird email browser.  :D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything