Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Does this look okay?  (Read 37756 times)

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
Does this look okay?
« on: January 25, 2014, 02:27:33 PM »

I am about to be upgraded from adsl to vdsl and was wondering if my wiring was optimal? Please see the linked pics.

It looks like the original master was in the garage. The wires have been cut and spliced to extension cable which feeds the new master?/adsl faceplate. I fitted this adsl face plate, there was just a normal telephone socket and adsl filter, the adsl faceplate took my sync from 8 to 13 meg. From the face plate from what I can gather, the phone signal is fed back along the same extension wire back to the garage which then feeds the rest of the extensions in the house (which I have disconnected apart from the 1st extension). Is the way the socket in the garage is normal?

http://postimg.org/gallery/10004mm8/

I am about two miles from the exchange by road here my stats:

Uptime:   0 days, 1:42:49

DSL Type:   G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   830 / 12.974

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0,00 / 0,00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12,0 / 19,5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   7,5 / 33,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   18,0 / 6,5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   11 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   12 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   20 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 16.376

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 86

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   736.230 / 79

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:35:06 PM by bilbokitz »
Alcatel Cab 200/20 Vectored VDSL 35b - Technicolor DGA4130 Bridged + Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Does this look okay?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 06:26:12 PM »

The best solution would be to have the master socket in the garage reinstated and ideally have the FTTC modem there with a network cable running to wherever you router is.

If you don't wont the modem in the garage, then you can still have the master socket there, but either run a new data extension cable or if the existing cable is twisted pair that can be used for a data extension.

The reason I say to have the master back in the garage is that if you start to get problems, or the performance is not what is estimated you can then very easily plug into the test socket and disconnect the rest of the house.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 08:41:39 PM »

Thank you, that is a possibility, would it likely make a diff to line stats?

Also that socket in the garage is right below where the elec main/circuit breaker is, would that have any effect on the modem if beside it?
Alcatel Cab 200/20 Vectored VDSL 35b - Technicolor DGA4130 Bridged + Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:32:22 AM »

The only way to know if it makes a difference is to try it, using that as the master and having a data extension gives you both options. Using your existing master doesn't give you the option - you'll have a whole chunk off wiring you can't rule out if you have any problems.

How much difference it all makes also depends on how far you are from the cabinet, if you are close it's unlikely to make any difference, if you are far away it could make some difference.

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:10:46 PM »

Well, I did it. I followed the extension from the master socket into the attic where there was a load of spare wrapped around the soil pipe and scaffolding planks had also been dropped on it at some point so I reinstated the original master and have turned what was the master into  cat five port.

There's no gain in speeds but attenuation has come down to by 0.5, noise margin seems the same.

I have ordered a mk2 openreach faceplate which I will fit. I was wondering though, I am due an engineer visits in a week and a bit, is it possible to tell them I don't need a visit or will they still insist on coming?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 06:20:55 AM »

Depends whether you booked a self install really. Most ISPs are still booking engineer installs. He'll probably just check things and leave it at that.

Let us know how it goes.

door_bell

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »

I have ordered a mk2 openreach faceplate which I will fit. I was wondering though, I am due an engineer visits in a week and a bit, is it possible to tell them I don't need a visit or will they still insist on coming?

With any luck you'll get a contractor out......if they are anything like mine, they will be half way out the door before they even get in! I'm sure they will be more than happy to leave everything as it is and go.......

Worst case, they want to stay and make things better?

Win win I'd say!  :lol:

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 11:20:07 AM »

I fitted the MK2 openreach last night, no difference to line stats sync maybe a smidge lower.

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 02:49:12 PM »

Whats the best way to wire up the line coming in to the master sockect a and b terminals?

Form a hook two hooks ? ?  or fold  the wire over on itself or loop the wire around the  screw 2 or three times?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 04:32:05 PM »

• Ensure that both wires from the service cable are of identical length.
  • Strip the insulation from each wire (in turn) that is equal to twice the length of the square washer under the screw.
  • Fold the bare wire over at its mid-point.
  • Insert that folded over bare wire section under the washer to the left of the screw.
  • Tighten the screw.
  • Repeat for the over wire of the pair.
A "purrfectionist" will ensure that negative wire is connected to the B terminal and the positive wire is connected to the A terminal.

As you should not be doing the above, then I have not told you.  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 04:40:03 PM »

Thank you!

I noticed there is newer nte that has punch down a & b terminals. Do these provide a better connection, is there any point in replacing the one I have?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 05:04:34 PM »

An older style NTE5/A, with screw terminals, will also (undoubtedly) be fitted with a gas-discharge over-voltage protection device between the pair. As those gas-discharge devices "age", they have been known to degrade the xDSL performance of the connected circuit.

The current style NTE5/A, with IDCs, is not fitted with any over-voltage protection device. Just the standard series capacitor - resistor termination across the pair.

. . .  is there any point in replacing the one I have?

Probably not. (But reading between the lines of your posts to date, you will probably do so!  ;D  )

References:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12515.msg236340#msg236340
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12647.msg238997#msg238997
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12660.msg242251#msg242251
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12863.msg243275#msg243275
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13447.msg253611#msg253611

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 09:34:51 PM »

Thanks for that useful information.

Today I was upgraded to vdsl  and the telecom guy swapped out the master to the new style. The hg612 I purchased from ebay seems to be working great. Apparently I have connected at the maximum possible speed 52999 down and 2495 up, so thats good. 40/2 is the fastest we can get here at the moment, not sure why that is, a technological limitation perhaps. The engineer did mention faster speeds on the horizon requiring a new card in the cabinet but not sure if he meant for ftth.

Heres a screenshot I took, does that look ok?
http://postimg.org/image/wuywpq6a1/

I also think that it is possible to request a non interleaving profile which I believe will decrease latency, now that I have much better line statistics, should I do that?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 10:41:04 PM »

I also think that it is possible to request a non interleaving profile which I believe will decrease latency, now that I have much better line statistics, should I do that?

I will be all ears for this possibility as my Interleave is carp, Who does one talk to, to get moved onto fastpath on fttc ?  ;)  as it seems the DLM decides which user is Interleaved or FastPath not your ISP, I guess the closer you are to the FTTC cabinet the more likely Fastpath will be an option to the end user but Mr & Mrs DLM will make that call  ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:16:20 PM by NewtronStar »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 11:29:05 PM »

Heres a screenshot I took, does that look ok?
http://postimg.org/image/wuywpq6a1/

Something looks seriously wrong there.

It looks as though your DS sync speed has been capped at 53 Mbps & your US sync speed is way too low.

SNRM values suggest that much higher speeds should be possible.

If you are not running any logging/graphing software (HG612 Modem Stats release 2.0 or DSLStats), could you telnet into the modem (telnet 192.168.1.1) & then grab the data from these case sensitive commands & post the results here:-

xdslcmd info --stats
xdslcmd info pbParams

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:33:22 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7