Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: samba - worked fine, now doesn't  (Read 7020 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: samba - worked fine, now doesn't
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »

Anything in lost+found ?   ie, /mnt/vol2/lost+found ?

Linux puts broken or orphaned files/blocks there, as may occur when the system crashes or is untidily switched off.

Just a thought. :)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 10:00:05 PM »

I might have found out what's been going on, and for a change it's not me doing anything daft (apart from my choice of disk format.. read on).

The disk had no slack space, the partition filled the disk.

I did a file count on the source disk and the (full) destination, there weren't any duplicate or rogue files, just fewer files on the destination as it had filled up before the copy had completed.

The NTFS disk I was copying from, and the ext4 disk I was copying to, were not only exactly the same size, they were the same model of Seagate disk. 

Remember :

"disk1" (XFS) => "disk2" (NTFS) => "disk1" (now ext4)

disk1 to disk2 copy worked without problems, and I had about 500Mb free on the NTFS destination afterwards.
disk2 to disk1 copy then failed as the destination became full before the copy had completed.

I repartitioned disk1, and reformatted it ext4 once more.  Looking at the free block count, I noticed it was lower than the free blocks I'd noted when the disk was previously formatted with xfs.  Suspicious, I then reformatted with xfs (once I'd worked out how to add xfs tools support to a raspberry pi).

And lo!  I now have more free blocks.  Many more than when it was ext4, and a few more than it's original xfs format, no doubt due to it also having other (small) partitions then as well.

The proof of it all will be if the copy I'm now doing completes ok, I probably won't know until the morning.

Assuming it works, it would seem that ext4 is less efficient at it's disk usage than xfs or NTFS.

I have subsequently read that xfs is often chosen for NAS servers where you have relatively few files of fairly large size, which is my case here.

Ian  :graduate:

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 07:31:04 PM »

Quick update on this thread as well,

The problem of copying back the files to the disk from whence they came (and this disk surprisingly filling up before they'd all copied back) WAS down to difference in disk usage / efficiency between EXT4 and XFS.

Having reformatted the disk with XFS, I was able to copy all the files back with no problem.

Code: [Select]
Format                                             Total Capacity (df)
Original NAS XFS (also had swap partition)              243819836
Repartition, format EXT4                                240233144
Repartition, format XFS                                 244078324

The partitions were identical in size, using 100% of the disk, except in the first instance where there was also a swap partition present from the NAS.

Interesting to note the overhead of EXT4!

Note also that the same capacity hard disk, formatted with NTFS via Windows, was used to copy the data TO and FROM during this exercise, thus NTFS also appears more efficient for storage than EXT4  :-X

Ian
Pages: 1 [2]