Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: XP Non destructive repair  (Read 4678 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
XP Non destructive repair
« on: September 08, 2006, 03:12:31 AM »

I came across this at some time recently (can't remember where from).
But thought it might come in handy should anyone need it.

Basically it explains "exactly" how to Repair/Re-install XP without losing the programs you already have setup.

I did try it at the time and it had NO adverse effects with my original set-up.
However I have to admit that when I tried it, the problems I had at the time were NOT fixed.
But who knows, it may work for you.

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

As I just came accross my original comment with regrds this program I thought I would post them.
However, just because it did not work for me does not mean it will not work for you, (I hope)

The main thing to remember is on the last option, and that is too chose "R" instead of "Enter".

Anyway I tried it as I had a niggly little problem with not being able to put tools onto my tool-bar.
And it was also much quicker to install without deleting programs.

However I did find that where it says "Remove CD" at Screen Nine, windows still needed it,
so I should have put it back in at that stage, but I didn't so I ended up having to start all over again.

After it had finished and I had re-installed SP2, checked for windows updates, of which there were 47 (I decided to install those at a later date).

Unfortunately, I have since had to fall back to a Image backup of my drive, because windows was now taking forever to startup, Security centre was now not functioning or accessible and one of Norton's files was now corrupt which meant removing Norton and re-installing it. Not to mention that it was also taking ages to access the windows update site (only the windows site though).

O yes and by the way, my tool-bar problem still existed.]:)
LOL or what
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 11:27:39 PM by oldfogy »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: XP Non destructive repair
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 08:48:58 AM »

Thanks OF.

One scenario where this works is if you change your motherboard and then find your system won't boot. Repairing XP in this way will reinstall the correct HAL (hardware abstraction layer) for your motherboard's chipset, and then it will work :)
Chris

soms

• Reg Member
Re: XP Non destructive repair
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 05:05:35 PM »

Sounds ideal for if your old hardware breaks down and you do a switch. Dont you just hate it when it then wont load up! Yoiu should be careful about repair installations because as OF said, it won't necessarily fix your problems and at the same time could make the situation worse in some circumstances. The real tip here is to always backup whatever you can first, which isn't even possible if you can't load up anyway - even with recovery console.