Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any ideas what this message means, why there, the cure?  (Read 4041 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Any ideas what this message means, why there, the cure?
« on: December 26, 2013, 10:30:39 AM »

Code: [Select]
FLOOD CONTROL ACTIVE and detect this ip as flooder. If You are secure this ip nn.nnn.nnn.nn (class nn.nnn.nnn.0) is not used as flood please contact support staff at http://staff.forumup.co.uk from another IP or PC. Try again from 01:05:35 seconds The "n"s represent my current for the time being IP address, and forumup hosts a site that I visit.

For several days now the same essential message has appeared with varied wait times. I caanot try another computer, as I have none.

All any advice will be much appreciated.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Any ideas what this message means, why there, the cure?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »

It sounds like one of those unofficial web policing services that wrongly believe that your IP address identifies you uniquely. Someone else using the same ISP as you has been detected as a flooder and blacklisted, and if you happen to get an IP address in the same range as the one used by the flooder at the time, you're effecctively blacklisted as well. The workaround would be to reboot your router and get allocated a different IP address, and then you could hopefully contact the forumup staff and explain the position.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 01:49:13 PM »

Recently I discovered I was being blocked for a similar reason to a forum, but what I discovered was that by following the instructions for not being able to log-in, I was then able to send a email to the admin which bypassed the block and they were able to confirm I had been blocked and removed my IP address from the batch of blocked list.

I don't know if it will be the same but the email I had to send (if for this site) would be sent to:
admin at website.co.uk

So just try changing the name of the actual site and the .co.uk or .com to whatever the sites address may be and start it with admin.

Make sure you put your User-name & IP address in the email or else they will have to ask you for it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:36:52 AM by kitz »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »

It sounds like one of those unofficial web policing services that wrongly believe that your IP address identifies you uniquely. Someone else using the same ISP as you has been detected as a flooder and blacklisted, and if you happen to get an IP address in the same range as the one used by the flooder at the time, you're effecctively blacklisted as well. The workaround would be to reboot your router and get allocated a different IP address, and then you could hopefully contact the forumup staff and explain the position.
I tried a reboot and it did not work, so more than one IP address must be suspect. BTW the wait time reduced, but seems to have increased to a high figure even without a change of IP address.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 12:38:23 AM »

Edited the email address to try avoid spambot harvesters.   :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 12:48:09 AM »

Edited the email address to try avoid spambot harvesters.   :'(
Thanks, I forgot about them.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 10:25:28 AM »

Well, it seems to have cured itself during yesterday evening. Thanks for all the advice. :)

I am not a fan of Forumup, but it may be the host that the group can afford, even though I see more glitches than with other forums

anything