Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Add-ons keep gong AWOL on Firefox  (Read 4710 times)

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
Add-ons keep gong AWOL on Firefox
« on: December 03, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »

I'm using FF  25.0.1  and every so often my Add-ons vanish.   I notice it mainly because my Adblock add-on doesn't work and then when I check on Tools - Add-Ons,  the page is empty !  the Plug- ins are all there.    I know it has something to do with the 'profile' but I'm not sure what I'm doing as far as that is concerned.  Any help in 'simple' terms would be appreciated.   Thank you in advance. :)   Kate

PS.    I have just tried closing FF down and re-starting - the Adblock is back,  as are the Add-ons  ?  ???
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:22:21 AM by Scottiesmum »
It's today that matters !

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Add-ons keep gong AWOL on Firefox
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 10:21:20 AM »

Kate it could be that your profile has become corrupted in some way. The usual way to try to eliminate this is to create a new profile and then add the add-ons back one at a time, it at some point in doing this it breaks then that is usually the add-on at fault. It may of course not break and all will be OK. The problem of a new profile is that you will need all your passwords and bookmarks, these are still there in the old profile. You start the profile manager using the command firefox -P from a terminal (or DOS) window, this allows you to create a new profile and to select the one to make as default which starts when you start firefox normally. To save you bookmarks you do this from your existing profile and use "Show all Bookmarks" from the menu, passwords are more tricky but there are add-ons which allow you to export them.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 11:03:58 AM »

Thank you Stuart,     as you see I've put a PS on my original post .....I've noted what you say and if it happens again, which it probably will - I'll  "have a go "     :)   Kate

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »

There is a also a "reset" function in Firefox that may help: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 12:06:22 PM »

There is a also a "reset" function in Firefox that may help: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

That's useful HP, I did not know that existed. It would seem that it really does a new profile but saves the old data all in one operation and will certainly be easier than doing it manually. I have very little problem with FF which is probably why I did not know about it  ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 12:28:03 PM »

I did not know that existed.
Nor did I until earlier today; I've been trying to sort out a customer who has a PC (W7) with a "selection" of those annoying "not quite a virus" things sending them off to spurious web sites.
It all turned out to be relatively easy to clean out of Windows and IE but remained obstinately in FF and I'd got to the stage of saying either give up on FF (their preferred browser) or uninstall, clean out completely and reinstall from a known good source.
In rummaging online about how to clear FF (which seems to be rather obscure in the way it works with assorted "extras") I just found that information a couple of hours ago.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 12:41:48 PM »

That is a useful link, so thanks for that HP.
  Eric

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »

Thank you for the further information. Pressing a 'reset' button appeals to me  ;D

Thanks to all..

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 04:40:06 PM »

Thank you for the further information. Pressing a 'reset' button appeals to me  ;D

Make sure you fasten your seatbelt.  ;D

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 05:21:35 PM »

:D

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 06:54:12 PM »

HPSauce's suggestion may help me out of a FF problem - in my case the web colour rendering is haywire and going to a website found by a search engine causes a crash. Safe mode seems OK so it looks like that is a way out WITHOUT loosing all the settings.

4 Dec

It did ! Thanks HPsauce
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:09:08 PM by JGO »

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 01:48:54 PM »

I have a rather strange problem with FF 25.0.1 which I wondered rang any bells with any of you?

The Firefox process remains open when I close the app - but only after maybe 2+ hours of FF being open. Disabled all apps, done the reset, still the same.

Win7 x64.

Its not a great hassle to kill the process but just wondering what triggers it. Suggests something leaking memory perhaps?

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 03:53:46 PM »

Don't know what caused it but FF 26 doesn't do the same.