Author Topic: Help.  (Read 6881 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Help.
« on: November 19, 2013, 09:51:16 PM »

Due to having slow throughput, tonight I thought I'd try the onboard LAN card.  Mobo is z77-d3h.

I unplugged the cable from the intel nic and inserted it into the onboard slot.  When I did this my screen froze.  I could still see it but nothing was responsive so I did a power cycle.

Now I have nothing but black screens (Dual monitors)

When I boot the HDD disk light will briefly flash as normal, and I can hear the fans.   
No bios screen nothing beeps.   Mobo has onboard graphics so tried simply plugging one of the monitors in there.  Nada.

Any suggestions.  I don't have spare parts etc these days, so nothing else I can test much, nor the funds to be able to buy new stuff.

Where would you start?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Help.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:11:42 PM »

Doesn't sound good, does it.  :'(

I'd disconnect anything and everything and remove the RAM, reset the BIOS if possible (is there a jumper for that) and reboot with nothing connected at all, observing any onboard LED's on the MOBO (if any) and listening for beeps.

Then I'd add some RAM and then a monitor if there are any signs of life.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 11:38:42 PM »

Very odd. And puzzling. ???

If at all possible, please remove (or disconnect) the backup battery for the BIOS CMOS RAM and leave it disconnected for 30 - 60 minutes. Then proceed as HP suggests.

Edit: Is it the Rev. 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2 board?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:41:33 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 01:02:21 AM »

Some progress.  One monitor and no LAN attached, but it now saying "/starting windows" but doesn't.   I will leave it for a bit longer to see if it does eventually load
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 01:05:38 AM »

I'm not sure bcat.  I have the user manual booklet and all it says is ga-z77-d3h
-----

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 06:25:55 AM »

I would be hammering the F8 key at startup and select boot in safe mode (without networking). See if windows loads with a minimal set of drivers at this point.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 11:48:15 AM »

On the expertreviews site (which came up after a Google search) they mention a miniSSD can be plugged directly into the mother board  to give a very fast boot. Is it possible this SSD (if it is fitted) is not doing its stuff. Just a thought.
Tony

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 01:47:49 PM »

Did the act of unplugging the LAN cable from the Intel NIC loosen the board a bit?

Perhaps remove the Intel NIC board and reinsert, or just remove it altogether and see what happens?

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 05:38:05 PM »

Thank you for everyones replies - appreciated.  Bits of everyones suggestion was the solution.
I have to go back out again in a bit, but wanted to update where I am with this so far.

Id already tried booting into safe mode but that just seemed to hang at some point, unless it was without network... so it was obviously something to do with networking.

I also discovered that if I tried to boot with a LAN cable plugged in, I got the black screens.  Nothing would happen at all.  Ive no idea how/why a LAN cable was plugged in or not would even stop everything, but this could be repeated.  CAble in  and black screen.

Without LAN and windows would eventually (but slowly) load.   So I removed the intel NIC.  Windows loaded.    I deleted the onboad LAN drivers and let windows re-discover it.  Now I had networking again.   I went to shut down and it took ages, but it now it seems ok.   PC is still on the floor atm doing a scan-disk to make sure all is ok with the HDD. 

Not tried putting the Intel NIC back in again.    But a quick speedtest shows I still have the slow throughput issue with the onboard LAN.

One of the error messages I got whilst trying to load windows was the black/white hardware changes one, with the option to last good known config etc.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:40:47 PM by kitz »
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 09:15:58 PM »

Now using the onboard LAN and after messing with various things Im 'almost' there with the 30 Mbps per thread limitation by turning off windows auto-tuning.  Still need to find out what caused this all to happen, could be the Intel NIC, could also be something to do with network drive mapping.   Will update again if I ever find out for sure.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 10:34:49 PM »

I'm pleased that your PC is almost back to full health anyway. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 07:16:28 PM »

Unfortunately it didnt last for long and I was back to a black or blue screen.  Things have been broken for a while. 

Updated details on this thread
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13449.0
-----