Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Oscillating SNR  (Read 5328 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Oscillating SNR
« on: November 05, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »

to-day at 13:20 I noticed the DS & US SNR shoot up and attainable sync going up but notice the snr graphs oscillating up and down every 13 mins.

Also 10 minutes after I noticed this had to leave the house to go back to work and saw an openreach engineer working at my cabs, Is this a fault ?

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:11:36 PM by NewtronStar »

ryant704

• Reg Member
Re: Oscillating SNR
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:15:51 PM »

Never mind miss read....

Does it look like interference...

Plugged anything new in recently?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:36:49 PM »

Never mind miss read....

Does it look like interference...

Plugged anything new in recently?

Nope nothing new has been plugged in as you can see from the graphs it was when the engineer was mucking around in my cab to-day.

Don't know what to make of it  ??? never had this happen to me before, have reset modem (power off) and still the SNR is going up and down in some sort of pattern.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 07:17:06 PM »

It looks like the connection resynced at around 16:37.
Was that maunually initiated?

However, the SNRM & Attainable rate 'oddness' seems to have continued.

I wonder, could this be an extreme case of crosstalk, following the engineer connecting a new user at your cab?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »

It looks like the connection resynced at around 16:37.
Was that maunually initiated?

However, the SNRM & Attainable rate 'oddness' seems to have continued.

I wonder, could this be an extreme case of crosstalk, following the engineer connecting a new user at your cab?

Yes BE1 I did force a manual resync on the HG612 because the snr was going much higher than I have ever seen in the 17 months with FTTC.

Geez I hope this is not the first signs of the dreaded crosstalk, have been watching my stats over the last two weeks and someting is not quite right, was getting 7.8db SNR daytime and 4.5db during the evening, but to-day after 13:20 the SNR is going even higher, on the plus side errored seconds have gone down, but Interleaving is rising again.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:59:35 PM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 10:17:03 PM »

when I compare yesterdays current stats to the ones of to-days its seems i am using more Bits per carrier

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 12:23:20 AM »

I have uploaded a 12 hour graph if anyone is interested ! TBH it's the first time I have seen a graph like this on the Kitz forum.

Should I ring BT and tell them there is a fault on my line ? Not sure if they could interpret the stats as showing a serious fault on my line as speed tests look better than last weeks.

But raw Speed is not always the best way on BroadBand you should be looking for less errors as this outways speed vs uncorrected errors on the internet.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:25:36 AM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »

Just keeping you updated on this odd issue

I got a retrain reason 1 this moring 4:am the Bearer has increased from 30000kbps to 32000kbps
the DS SNRM has decreased but the US SNRM has fallen to 2db and you will notice this in the plink log plus Interleaving still going up.

Just to make sure the HG612 PSU was not the culprit I did test a good PSU 12V 1.0 Amp made no difference, the DS SNRM is going below 5db in the evening.

should I just power off the HG612 and sync at 10pm or just leave it and see what happens over the next 2 weeks ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 06:35:08 PM »

On more than one occasion I have been know to purr the phrase "No fiddling" to our Balding Avian Entity.

I have a suggestion. You could try powering off the HG612 modem when you have finished using the connection to Internet for today and then power it back on during the morning daylight hours, tomorrow. Doing that may allow sufficient time for the MSAN's line-card port, to which your line is connected, to "relax".

The choice is yours . . .  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 07:01:58 PM »

I have a suggestion. You could try powering off the HG612 modem when you have finished using the connection to Internet for today and then power it back on during the morning daylight hours, tomorrow. Doing that may allow sufficient time for the MSAN's line-card port, to which your line is connected, to "relax".

The choice is yours . . .  ::)

Thankyou for your suggestion ;D it's the only choice left as whatever is going on this line I just can't get the balance right here, the MSAN is giving me over the top sync rates but the stats show these settings from the MSAN are not good for me in the long term.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:05:54 PM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 07:10:56 PM »

Ok I turned off the HG612 (modem) overnight and back on again this morning US SNRM has resumed to 6.0 db and the massive oscillating SNRM's has gone back to the normal bumps & troughs, and the DS SYNC/Bearer has remained high and US SYNC is a bit lower.

not happy the DS SNRM is going below 5.0db but as long as it stays away from 4.5db during the evenings, it's strange how the DS Attainable is starting going higher as i have never seen a 40000 kbps Attainable before on my line.

will see what the DLM does to this line in the next few days and weeks  :hmm:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:45:37 PM by NewtronStar »

anything