Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sennheiser headphones problem.  (Read 3497 times)

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
Sennheiser headphones problem.
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:25:04 AM »

I have the Sennheiser headphones, very similar to these,     http://www.amazon.fr/Sennheiser-4200-Casque-station-daccueil/dp/B005N8W0UM/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1383210551&sr=8-18&keywords=sennheiser+casque      but different model number as I've had them about 8 years.  There are two cables from the charger unit, one with a yellow connector into the unit to the mains and the another with a blue connector from the unit to my speakers.   Over the years the blue connector has obviously had some wear and tear at the end which fits into the speaker and I now have problems getting a clear sound.  I have to twiddle (which probably hasn't helped !!!)  the blue 'jack' and in fact the best way to get a clear sound is to actually stretch the cable so that the blue jack is turned up.  (I'm sorry this is difficult to explain)  anyway !  is there anything I can/should do  (apart from stop twiddling  ;D)  to mend the blue jack - or are these available in general 'electric' outlets ?     I have searched on line, but I can't find a replacement cable.  I am  going to telephone Sennheiser in the Netherlands to see if they can provide one, but thought I'd task your knowledge first  :)

Many thanks for any help; if it does involve doing anything to the 'jack' could you keep it simple, because it will be me doing the repair  ;D  :flower:
It's today that matters !

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Sennheiser headphones problem.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:12:12 AM »

I suspect that the problem isn't with the cable plug, but with the speaker socket which it plugs into. Repeatedly plugging and unplugging (plus a certain amount of fiddling :) ) will have bent the contacts in the socket further apart so that the plug doesn't make a good contact unless you push it sideways. This probably isn't a DIY job unless you're handy with a soldering iron. :(
  Eric

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »

Thank you Eric  .....    I'm not even  handy with a smoothing iron at the moment   ;D    So it looks like new speakers   ? More  shoppy  :D   

:flower:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »

I shouldn't take my opinion as gospel, Kate. :)  Perhaps someone has other ideas.
  Eric

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 11:31:07 AM »

I had a similar experience with a personal radio.  The 'phones only worked on one ear unless I pushed the jack plug to one side. Then yesterday I found the phone socket on the TV was intermittent till I twisted the jack round in it (to remove tarnish ?) 
(Didn't have this trouble with 1/4" jacks !)

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »

Thank you JGO for your  input.   I shall try your 'twisting' to see if that solves the problem.  Many thanks. :)

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 08:54:18 AM »

My wife reports it worked for her - Good Luck !

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 09:43:09 AM »

Just an update on my original query.  I think between you both you have solved the problem.  Eric, I now do think the problem is the speaker and not the cable.  I find that by pushing the jack plug very hard into the speaker and twisting it (as JGO said)  the sound is better and constant.  It does however need pushing extra hard which makes me  think that  speaker contact is worn. 

So a big thank you to both  :)    I shall be looking at speakers soon, but for the moment can cope with it as it is.   :flower:   Kate

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 10:48:11 AM »

:thumbs:
  Eric