Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HDD, booting issues!  (Read 3140 times)

ryant704

• Reg Member
HDD, booting issues!
« on: October 24, 2013, 02:21:48 PM »

Ok, I'm no means your average user but I've never came across this problem before...

I have to computers, one missing a HDD and another perfectly good condition PC.

I've bought a second hand HDD, though you can't boot and install something to the HDD. The HDD drive works, it's detected in the BIOS.

At this stage I moved the HDD into my work computer to perform some tests, the issue was that it wasn't being assigned a driver letter by default (for example your C:\ drive). Note the HDD wasn't view able in "My Computer" at this stage. I then assigned the HDD a letter (H:\) and the formatted it to NTFS. This made the drive visible in Windows and useable, I decide to put the HDD back in the other PC and try to boot (Trying to install windows via USB, no CD-ROM in PC). Still couldn't boot, after fiddling for a bit and getting annoyed I put the HDD back into this computer (working). I then install Vista straight onto from CD, the installation completes.

I can boot Vista or W7, W7 installed on the C:\ and Vista on the newly purchased HDD (H:\). Both boot fine, so I decide to put it back in the other PC. Again it won't boot, assuming it's back to square one. So I've installed ubuntu to my USB and I am running it on the old computer with the HDD installed. Though again, the HDD is being detected in the BIOS but not on the OS. So I need to assign a letter to HDD but I have no idea how to do this on Ubuntu.

tl;dr
Want to know how to do this on ubuntu instead of windows
See here, the post by JKatwyopc fixed it in Windows for me. How would I do this in Ubuntu though?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: HDD, booting issues!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 02:55:22 PM »

Linux doesn't use drive letters like Windows, so you can't use Ubuntu to assign a Windows drive letter.

But if what you want is simply to make the drive accessible to Ubuntu, then you need to partition and format it first. Install gparted on the Ubuntu system if it isn't already installed, and use it to partition and format the drive.
  Eric

anything