Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Changing ISP Questions (FTTC)  (Read 2806 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Changing ISP Questions (FTTC)
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:53:40 AM »

Hi all,
It's been a while since I've been on this forum, just been reading threads about the new MK2 faceplate and such.

Anyway, I have a few questions that I'm hoping can be clarified. I'm looking to switch ISP from BT Business to possibly Plusnet next May (or around that, when my current contract term is concluded), but:
1) I'm currently capped at 60 megabits downstream, and could potentially achieve up to around 90 megabits if the connection was completely uncapped, suffice to say I believe I can reach 80 megabits if I wasn't capped by DLM at 60 megabits. Some months ago when an engineer came out to fix a fault on my line he was unable to get a DLM reset done due to not having certain details with him at the time, so he said to contact BT Business and get them to do it, obviously I had no luck with them being fixated on the fact that I'm just getting more than their estimated speed. My question for #1 is if I change ISP will DLM be reset as a result?

2) The pricing is quite high on BT Business, which is another reason why I'd like to find another ISP that's as good (performance wise), and hopefully one which can offer more than a single static IP address. I originally chose BT Business because of the free installation, 5 IP addresses and no limit to the bandwidth usage each month. Is Plusnet a viable choice for my requirements?

3) Has anything changed much these days to be able to get a DLM reset request performed, or is it still as hard as it was some months ago? Obviously changing ISP is kind of a last resort, assuming that would trigger a reset.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:32:02 PM by Ixel »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Changing ISP Questions (FTTC)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 10:27:10 PM »

>> My question for #1 is if I change ISP will DLM be reset as a result?

I dont honestly know, but if you were to aks me to speculate, Id say no it wont.   Details seem to be held on a central database and only BT engineers seem to be able to reset it. 
Swapping ISP on 20/21CN doesnt affect the DLM so I doubt if it would be any different with vdsl.

>> Is Plusnet a viable choice for my requirements?

Only one static IP on residential.  Their business account may offer more.

>> Has anything changed much these days to be able to get a DLM reset request performed, or is it still as hard as it was some months ago?

No change :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »

>> My question for #1 is if I change ISP will DLM be reset as a result?

I dont honestly know, but if you were to aks me to speculate, Id say no it wont.   Details seem to be held on a central database and only BT engineers seem to be able to reset it. 
Swapping ISP on 20/21CN doesnt affect the DLM so I doubt if it would be any different with vdsl.

>> Is Plusnet a viable choice for my requirements?

Only one static IP on residential.  Their business account may offer more.

>> Has anything changed much these days to be able to get a DLM reset request performed, or is it still as hard as it was some months ago?

No change :(

Many thanks, what you've said I feel also would be the case (with DLM that is, when switching from one FTTC service provider to another FTTC service provider). I'll still switch next year to Plusnet's business service (even though I'm running it from home, I would like the multiple IP's mainly), it's cheaper than BT Business's FTTC service.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »

Good luck for next year then and hope it all works out.

It is damn annoying though that theres no easy way to get a DLM reset :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker