Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22

Author Topic: HG612 new firmware - Preliminary results.  (Read 205480 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 new firmware - Preliminary results.
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »

I've tried using the maxDataRate option on my TT ADSL2+ connection, and although it forced an immediate resync it didn't change anything. I tried xdslcmd configure 6000 900 7000 and it reconnected at 7104/1016. xdslcmd info --cfg shows the three values unchanged at zero.

Perhaps it doesn't work for ADSLx connections and only VDSLx.

That is quite possible but I did at least get it to show as changed with "xdslcmd info --cfg".  Did you type exactly  " xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 10000 1000 11000 " or similar with numbers changed.  It seems best to have the last value the aggregate even though we are not sure what it really is. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2013, 10:37:52 AM »

What I typed was "xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 6000 900 7000" (apologies for posting an incomplete version, which I've now corrected). As all the parameters are Max<something> I didn't think it likely that the third parameter needed to be the sum of the other two. I just chose values which were less than I was actually achieving.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2013, 10:57:36 AM »

I've found what seems to be a problem with the B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent version. I noticed yesterday afternoon that my WiFi network wasn't working. I did all the obvious checks, changing cables, ethernet ports, wireless channel, etc. but although my remote devices were able to make a wireless connection to the network, they didn't receive any internet data. I temporarily changed over to using homeplugs, with the same result. The only factor remaining was the HG612 with the B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent firmware.

This morning I replaced the router with another HG612 flashed with the  earlier B030SP06_unlocked firmware, and now my WiFi network is working normally again. All the remote devices are receiving internet data.

I noticed while I was diagnosing the problem yesterday that at times the HG612 GUI interface became very sluggish. It would sometimes take 10 seconds or more to display a page. So I wonder if there's a problem with limited memory in the HG612, and this is the reason for the GUI being removed from the most recent BT upgrade?
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2013, 05:09:51 PM »

Hmm, I find your command xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 6000 900 7000 (done as copy and paste from your post) works to the extent of showing with  xdslcmd info --cfg with my HG612 unconnected (so the vdsl/adsl difference should not be evident).   It maybe worth trying this test.

Separately the sluggish gui also annoyed me as did a slow two stage sync attempts.  I deleted the PTM connection and left just the ATM one for adsl2.  This seems to given a faster single stage sync and I think it got the gui to move as fast as any do.  With these settings I also download a config file then after a full reset uploaded.  I doubt that this was needed but it was part of my testing.  It was after this I really noticed the much improved gui speed and I also did the max..... tests.  No dropout here but equally no long tests either.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »

Hmm, I find your command xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 6000 900 7000 (done as copy and paste from your post) works to the extent of showing with  xdslcmd info --cfg with my HG612 unconnected (so the vdsl/adsl difference should not be evident).   It maybe worth trying this test.

Separately the sluggish gui also annoyed me as did a slow two stage sync attempts.  I deleted the PTM connection and left just the ATM one for adsl2.  This seems to given a faster single stage sync and I think it got the gui to move as fast as any do.  With these settings I also download a config file then after a full reset uploaded.  I doubt that this was needed but it was part of my testing.  It was after this I really noticed the much improved gui speed and I also did the max..... tests.  No dropout here but equally no long tests either.

See

http://i.imgur.com/TaRBn6F.png for telnet results of '--cfg' and '--pbParams' - on my FTTC connection I've successfully capped my downstream rate :). Possibly --maxDataRate is not compatible with ADSLx I guess :(.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »

b*cat is confused.  ???

Eric has been discussing the effect of different firmware images on a HG612 and then mentioned --

I noticed yesterday afternoon that my WiFi network wasn't working.

:-\

(Time for my evening meal!  :yum:  )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2013, 07:54:45 PM »

I've found what seems to be a problem with the B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent version. I noticed yesterday afternoon that my WiFi network wasn't working. I did all the obvious checks, changing cables, ethernet ports, wireless channel, etc. but although my remote devices were able to make a wireless connection to the network, they didn't receive any internet data. I temporarily changed over to using homeplugs, with the same result. The only factor remaining was the HG612 with the B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent firmware.

This morning I replaced the router with another HG612 flashed with the  earlier B030SP06_unlocked firmware, and now my WiFi network is working normally again. All the remote devices are receiving internet data.

I noticed while I was diagnosing the problem yesterday that at times the HG612 GUI interface became very sluggish. It would sometimes take 10 seconds or more to display a page. So I wonder if there's a problem with limited memory in the HG612, and this is the reason for the GUI being removed from the most recent BT upgrade?

That doesn't sound good...

Were all your wired computers/devices receiving traffic ok?  I'm guessing your setup is something along these sort of lines - Modem (adsl2+/routed) --> Router with wireless interface --> Computers and other devices.

With that sort of 'cascaded' setup there is the potential for routing issues. Traffic loops as well if you have more than one physical connection between the modem and the router.

I've noticed the interface can be a bit sluggish initially myself but nothing of that order. I never considered it to be a problem as it's not limited to the B030 firmware. I simply assumed it was due to the device being rather underpowered for the task. It cannot handle the line speed on an 80/20 connection in routed mode.

The limited available space in the flashmem is certainly part of why the gui was removed. We're pushing the size limit with this build which uses approximately half of one spare block (out of five). Inclusion of the BTAgent pushes it to a second block.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2013, 09:22:53 PM »

Normal internet activities were not a problem. I have several computers connected directly by ethernet, and these all worked normally.

The HG612 is configured as a modem/router. I only use one of its LAN ports, which is connected to an 8-port switch to which everything else is connected, including a wireless access point. I hear what you say about routing issues, but all I did to cure the WiFi (and also Homeplug) problem was replace one HG612 with another one configured exactly the same way, but with different firmware. I speculated that the issue was that with the particular firmware installed, the HG612 couldn't handle streaming data for some reason, possibly memory issues.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2013, 10:36:59 PM »

b*cat is confused.  ???

Just read the entire posting and you will be confused no longer. ;D
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2013, 10:43:25 PM »

Good spot eric.   Most of us (those who use it as fttc modem only) wouldnt have noticed this.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2013, 10:58:54 PM »

b*cat is confused.  ???

Just read the entire posting and you will be confused no longer. ;D

b*cat is no not now confused.  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2013, 11:07:35 PM »

I should perhaps have made it clear that the devices connected by WiFi are all media devices (internet radio, TV, etc., which is why I suspect that streaming is the problem.
  Eric

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2013, 11:25:43 PM »

Normal internet activities were not a problem. I have several computers connected directly by ethernet, and these all worked normally.

The HG612 is configured as a modem/router. I only use one of its LAN ports, which is connected to an 8-port switch to which everything else is connected, including a wireless access point. I hear what you say about routing issues, but all I did to cure the WiFi (and also Homeplug) problem was replace one HG612 with another one configured exactly the same way, but with different firmware. I speculated that the issue was that with the particular firmware installed, the HG612 couldn't handle streaming data for some reason, possibly memory issues.

A small miscommunication I think :)

Not knowing the details of your setup I was looking to eliminate other potential issues. Particularly as you only mentioned wireless being affected.

A memory issue could cause the symptoms you reported but I would expect that to affect all traffic passing through the modem rather than just that being routed to wireless devices.

EDIT:

Good spot eric.   Most of us (those who use it as fttc modem only) wouldnt have noticed this.

Yes indeed. I certainly haven't seen anything untoward on an FTTC connection.

I should perhaps have made it clear that the devices connected by WiFi are all media devices (internet radio, TV, etc., which is why I suspect that streaming is the problem.

I must admit I'm not familiar with streaming protocols so I couldn't say how likely that is.

However I will look to see if there's any way I can reduce the memory footprint, but to be honest I don't think there will be much. It's already fairly well stripped down.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:41:42 PM by Howlingwolf »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2013, 07:21:04 AM »

Thanks for all your good work HW. Tomorrow I'll put back the HG612 with GUI-included firmware and do some more testing. Yesterday I was more concerned with getting my network working, and didn't do all the research I could have done.
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2013, 10:38:02 AM »

Eric if time allows you may like try both of above.  You may already be going to but from the thread I wondered if my comment may have been missed.  No worries if don't think it worth it!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22