Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22

Author Topic: HG612 new firmware - Preliminary results.  (Read 205382 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 new firmware - Preliminary results.
« Reply #285 on: July 31, 2014, 09:59:07 AM »

@Howlingwolf -- looking forwards to you finding time.   I have not been able to get an update with the modified firmware.  Quite a few with the modified firmware do however report getting an update.  I wonder whether they have not done a reset after the update and have thus retained the settings the original config file.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #286 on: July 31, 2014, 09:19:11 PM »

Perhaps there is someone, whose HG612 has received the latest firmware update and has the requisite header pins soldered to the PCB, who could help by making a copy of the firmware image available?  :-\

b*cat eyesight is not that good and his paws are a bit wobbly for him to attempt to solder the header pins to the PCB of the only HG612 that he now possesses.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #287 on: July 31, 2014, 10:45:34 PM »

I took a break from my other projects today and rebuilt the firmwares as mentioned in my other post. My 'capture' modem (the one with the header pins) is now set up and waiting to be updated. Once that happens I'll get to work on it.

JustAnother

« Reply #288 on: July 31, 2014, 10:48:31 PM »

:o

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2014, 11:03:40 PM »

I still have the lastest updated Software version V100R001C01B030SP08 with Firmware version A2pv6C038m.d24j and love soldering that's all I can offer at this stage as my sole HG612 equipment is under the BT terms & conditions which I may add has been broken by me in many occasions  :D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:52:00 AM by NewtronStar »

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #290 on: August 01, 2014, 04:41:37 PM »

I still have the lastest updated Software version V100R001C01B030SP08 with Firmware version A2pv6C038m.d24j and love soldering that's all I can offer at this stage as my sole HG612 equipment is under the BT terms & conditions which I may add has been broken by me in many occasions  :D

I picked up my spare off of a certain rather well known online bazaar. I think I paid just over £7 for it...  I had a quick look and they do have a few at a reasonable starting point and postage.

I was somewhat less pleased to see scum offering unlocked modems based on our work for up to £60 >:(

<more spooling mistaks  :'(>
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:10:31 PM by Howlingwolf »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #291 on: August 01, 2014, 05:45:14 PM »

I picked up my spare off of a certainly rather well known online bazaar. I think I paid just over £7 for it...  I had a quick look and they do have a few at a reasonable starting point and postage.

I was somewhat less pleased to see scum offering unlocked modems based on our work for up to £60 >:(

ThankYou HW have placed my bid in bazaar, don't think i'll be purchasing the unlocked modem at that silly price :o and there is nothing more satisfying than unlocking it yourself.

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #292 on: August 01, 2014, 11:09:28 PM »

I picked up my spare off of a certainly rather well known online bazaar. I think I paid just over £7 for it...  I had a quick look and they do have a few at a reasonable starting point and postage.

ThankYou HW have placed my bid in bazaar, don't think i'll be purchasing the unlocked modem at that silly price :o and there is nothing more satisfying than unlocking it yourself.

Yes indeed. Good luck!

shamus

« Reply #293 on: August 30, 2014, 01:34:22 PM »

have not received an email or junk mail to validate enrolment to new program

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #294 on: August 30, 2014, 03:05:49 PM »

Are Openreach still issuing the HG612 in the wild?  All I seem to hear are people getting the ECI these days.

The reason I ask is I am having a new fibre line activated soon so will be trying to scrounge another HG612 but highly suspect the engineer will turn up with only ECI.  If there is little chance of him having the HG612 I might just grab one off eBay early.

Its going to be pretty important I get another HG612 as I will be putting both lines on a Gigabit switch and then feeding them both back to my router over a single ethernet cable with VLANs to split them into the two distinct connections with PPP and load-balancing on my router.  At least that's the theory anyway.

Although, if one is on a VLAN and other is not - does that effectively act as if they are both on separate VLANs anyway?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

iMx

« Reply #295 on: August 30, 2014, 04:30:44 PM »

I do something very similar, 2 x VDSL modems in the front room trunked back over 1 CAT6 port (internal wiring) to the rack under the stairs.  I run each modem with 2 VLANs, WAN and management, using dot1q.

However, rather than load balancing I opted to bond both connections with an L2 VPN back to a box in the DC.  I run each WAN in a separate OpenBSD routing domain, so that there can be a discrete default route per routing domain, then an OpenVPN L2 tunnel in each routing domain back to a box in the DC - VPN bonding basically.  Each OpenVPN tun interface is then added to a round robin trunk interface in yet another routing domain - the trunk at the remote DC end is bridged with the external interface so I can pass a /29 from the DC to the router/firewall at home.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #296 on: August 30, 2014, 09:10:59 PM »

Holy crap that sounds complicated. :p

How did you get the management interface to work out of the same port?  Does this automatically happen if the modem is bridged to a VLAN rather than just the whole LAN port?  It seems quite limited what you are allowed to do from the GUI and I'm unable to test as currently on ADSL and it doesn't give you the same options when bridging ATM as it does on PTM.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

iMx

« Reply #297 on: September 04, 2014, 09:17:02 AM »

I use both ports on each device, the 2nd for the management.  Both modems go into a small 8 port switch, using 4 ports in total (2 x WAN and 2 x Management) 4 separate VLANs are set on the switch, then a trunk port sends all over 1 internal ethernet port back to the rack under the stairs.

As I'm on an ECI DLSAM I've since moved to using ECI modems now I found some free time, ECIs bring their own challenges, but am successfully running OpenWRT on the ECI modems.  Using ECI modems has seen me regain fastpath on one line (the other has a few more days until DLM should hopefully kick in) for the first time since it was installed, I was using HG612s on ECI DSLAM up until now.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #298 on: September 23, 2014, 05:27:43 AM »

I think I have cracked this actually and in turn figured out you CAN get away with only using a single ethernet cable for WAN and management, at least on OpenWRT routers.

Basically I have two HG612 units, one with PTM bridged to VLAN2, the other with PTM bridged to VLAN3, NO PORT BINDING!

This allows the management to go out untagged on LAN1 and the WAN goes out tagged on LAN1.

I then have my router configured to do PPPoE on the eth1.2 and eth1.3 for each ISP (I only have one active right now so obviously not 100% certain it will work, but it should) and then eth1 is bridged to the LAN which I THINK should only pass untagged traffic to the LAN.  This allows the LAN to access the HG612 management interface while only using two cables.

I didn't actually NEED to do it that was as I am using a 5 port gigabit switch to send both modems down the routers single Gigabit WAN port, but I figured its about time I tried to see if it would work with just a single port on the HG612.

iMx

« Reply #299 on: September 27, 2014, 09:27:41 AM »

I guess the only point is how it deals with multiple default routes for 2 lines in the 1 routing table, using virtual routing domains gets around this because each PPPoE table exists with its own discrete routing table.  I'm not familiar enough with OpenWRT with multi WAN, I'm assuming iptables is probably used for policy based routing to make routing decisions :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:04:26 AM by iMx »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22