Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: HG612 new firmware - Preliminary results.  (Read 205411 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: HG612 new firmware - Preliminary results.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »

I've flashed one of my HG612s , which previously had Asbokid's unlocked firmware, with the SP10 image. It appears to be working well on my TT ADSL2+ connection. The upgrade preserved all of my configuration, so it worked immediately with no more setting up required.

Both upstream and downstream connection speeds are a little higher than before the upgrade, and higher than I've had on this connection in recent months. I can confirm that the BTAgent processes are absent.

Excellent job HW.
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »

great work howlingwolf but I cant figure out how to download of that site and choose a folder to put the files.  IT seems to be trying to force some kind of integrated download manager on me.

ok never mind figured it out now.

One2Go

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »

Thanks mate
I have just downloaded it and will let you know the results

Chrysalis
Just right click on folder and download as a zip try using Google chrome firefox(latest ) has a bug and does not always work with Mega
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 12:56:25 PM by One2Go »
Was on 5mb, now on 60mb on 80/20. stable never had a major issue

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
oops...
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 02:54:32 PM »

I've just discovered that the unlocked version of the new firmware I uploaded to MEGA was built with the broken version of mksquashfs  :-[

Entirely my own fault. I finally managed to identify and fix the issue which was stopping me from rebuilding Asbokid's tools for a 32bit system and immediately starting transferring all my HG612 research, work in progress, etc. from the virtual machine to the native install.

In the process of this, (and my hurry to 'get back to it' no doubt), I forgot to remove the broken mksquashfs which had just been built and replace it with the pre-built, working version supplied in the toolkit.

Unfortunately, it's going to be a couple of hours or so before I can upload a replacement. In the meantime all I can do is apologise profoundly and ask you to be patient.

EDIT: All fixed.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:45:11 PM by Howlingwolf »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 06:33:11 PM »

Thanks for doing that HW. I'm sure that apologies are unnecessary.

Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 07:19:26 PM »

An excellent job, very well done, Mr Wolf:dance:  :silly:

Thank you for creating and sharing your firmware images.  ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 09:30:16 PM »

Well done  Howlingwolf, you're a star  :thumbs:

I shall be downloading as soon as I get my PC turned on.

Have you had chance to give this a go on a live connection yet?

If so, is the new addition to xlogfile.txt still picking up this as the firmware version:-

DSL PHY: AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j

One2Go

Re: oops...
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 09:32:18 PM »

I've just discovered that the unlocked version of the new firmware I uploaded to MEGA was built with the broken version of mksquashfs  :-[

Entirely my own fault. I finally managed to identify and fix the issue which was stopping me from rebuilding Asbokid's tools for a 32bit system and immediately starting transferring all my HG612 research, work in progress, etc. from the virtual machine to the native install.

In the process of this, (and my hurry to 'get back to it' no doubt), I forgot to remove the broken mksquashfs which had just been built and replace it with the pre-built, working version supplied in the toolkit.

Unfortunately, it's going to be a couple of hours or so before I can upload a replacement. In the meantime all I can do is apologise profoundly and ask you to be patient.

EDIT: All fixed.
Hi mate no worries at all.
I did wonder what happened
I tried it over and over and nothing  . it flashes it ok but no access.

Please let me know when you are ready. Thanks

I have a question still
While i was having trouble with your image(broken as you said) I decided to reflash the original from asbokid and still no access no telnet . this is the image i am now using to access the net the modem works fine still
I wonder what has happened? mind you i do have original modem ECI /r  from BT locked up in a safe for SOS moment
Was on 5mb, now on 60mb on 80/20. stable never had a major issue

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 10:18:01 PM »

Have you had chance to give this a go on a live connection yet?

If so, is the new addition to xlogfile.txt still picking up this as the firmware version:-

DSL PHY: AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j

I've downloaded it, but was only going to keep it in case it was required, but when I get chance I  could flash the spare modem.  I would need to know how to change the IP address,  which I think has been posted on here somewhere.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Greybeard33

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 11:52:15 PM »

Brilliant, HW!

This does make BT's attempt to further restrict user access to the modem look [content removed by admin] Very strange.

So the additional telnet blocking only works if the user has not previously been tinkering?

One further point - asbokid's blog states that BT's HG612V100R001C01B028SP06 firmware was superseded by HG612V100R001C01B028SP10, on which his original unlocked version was based. However, the new BT firmware is identified as HG612V100R001C01B030SP06. Does this perhaps imply that it has been derived from the older 028SP06 rather than the 028SP10?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:37:43 PM by kitz »

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 02:48:00 AM »

Hi mate no worries at all.
I did wonder what happened
I tried it over and over and nothing  . it flashes it ok but no access.

Please let me know when you are ready. Thanks

I have a question still
While i was having trouble with your image(broken as you said) I decided to reflash the original from asbokid and still no access no telnet . this is the image i am now using to access the net the modem works fine still
I wonder what has happened? mind you i do have original modem ECI /r  from BT locked up in a safe for SOS moment

If you still can't get access after flashing Asbokid's unlocked image then it might be a config issue.  Try restoring the default settings by pressing and holding the reset button for ~10 seconds. You'll then be starting from a known good configuration and can proceed from there.

As far as I've been able to determine the broken mksquashfs tool only affects one very specific file and certainly wouldn't block telnet access. I didn't even known I'd made a mistake until I starting testing a new build which included that file and I did test the images before 'posting' them.

Brilliant, HW!

This does make BT's attempt to further restrict user access to the modem look [content removed by admin] Very strange.

It does seem a bit haphazard, doesn't it? 

It appears that restoring the web interface is simply a matter of copying the files into the new root filesystem and re-inserting the start cmd into /etc/bootfile.txt. :'(

I've tested as much of it as I can and it appears to be fully functional. Now all I need is a couple of brave volunteers to poke it with a sharp stick and see how it reacts.

One further point - asbokid's blog states that BT's HG612V100R001C01B028SP06 firmware was superseded by HG612V100R001C01B028SP10, on which his original unlocked version was based. However, the new BT firmware is identified as HG612V100R001C01B030SP06. Does this perhaps imply that it has been derived from the older 028SP06 rather than the 028SP10?

They could be major/minor version or build and 'stepping' numbers. It would make sense for the minor version/'stepping' number to revert to a lower value if the major version/build number has increased.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:40:21 PM by kitz »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 03:09:53 AM »

Brilliant, HW!

if looking at the numbers so 28 is the major version and SP06 as the subversion then I would put the order of old to new like this.

28SP06
28SP10
30SP06
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:40:58 PM by kitz »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 03:14:47 AM »

if looking at the numbers so 28 is the major version and SP06 as the subversion then I would put the order of old to new like this.

28SP06
28SP10
30SP06

I will concur with your suggestion, Chrys:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »

I've now flashed my second HG612 with the B030SP06_unlocked firmware, and it's looking good. I'm using it now (on TT ADSL2+), and the connection speed when it started up was the highest I've had for many months. Everything else appears to be working normally, and DSLstats is plotting all its data as it should.

I feel slightly uncomfortable without a GUI interface, but that aside, this looks like the best firmware yet, and a first class job by HW, for which, many thanks.

Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »

will the fixed firmware be labeled differently on the site to download?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

anything