Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DLM related question  (Read 11233 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: DLM related question
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 08:02:05 PM »

Is the DLM a separate piece of physical hardware running the software and then its connected to control board on the MA5616 via lan cable  ?

That is one of Beattie's dark secrets, of which I am not privy. Sorry.  :no:

Just looking into the MA5616 physical stats so it must be connected to a Mini-Dslam/Msan inside the FTTC cab http://www.huawei.com/uk/products/fixed-access/fttx/mxu/MA5616/index.htm
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:10:35 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »

DLM in my opinion is probably not even ran inside the cabinet, its probably a central server(s) somewhere inside BTs network that controls millions of lines from one place. 

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »

DLM in my opinion is probably not even ran inside the cabinet, its probably a central server(s) somewhere inside BTs network that controls millions of lines from one place.

It is strange how the DSLAM has been shortened to DLM and giving people the wrong interpretation what it means for example DSLAM = digital subscriber line access multiplexer
and DLM = Dynamic Line Management
and don't try to shorten MSAN = Multi service Access Node or you get Man  ;)

are they two different systems  ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:09:32 PM by NewtronStar »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 09:27:24 PM »

Don't know if this snippet helps any ??

What is Dynamic Line Management?

Dynamic Line Management is a standard feature of the WBC product. Detailed performance information is captured from the network and this is analysed to determine the overall performance of each individual line. If a line is unstable or performing poorly then it is re-configured automatically to try and address this without any manual intervention.

What is RAMBo?

RAMBo is the system that provides the DLM function. RAMBo receives detailed performance information about each line from the equipment located in the local exchange and analyses this to determine the overall performance. RAMBo then manages the re-configuration of a line if it is determined that it’s performance could be improved.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:22 PM »

RAMBo is used on ADSL lines, I'm not sure if it's used on VDSL?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »

DLM will be fetching its data from the DSLAMS in the cabinets but thats very different from saying the cabinets manage DLM.

Even that rambo description clearly states that rambo is fetching the data remotely from exchange equipment to wherever rambo is hosted.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 11:22:30 PM »

As mentioned above, I have no doubt that the modems will be sending the dying gasp message.   
Its some DSL standard or other that for the more than the past 8 yrs or so (cant recall the exact date) that all new manufactures/builds of adsl modem/routers  must have the ability to send the dying gasp message to the DSLAM/MSAN.

However, Its up to the SP whether they want to act on the information they receive.  Whilst the BTw DLM may, it would appear the BToR DLM doesnt take it into account.

Although the 2 DLMs may reside in the same cave, they are very different beasts and have quite a lot of differences in the way the DLM is calculated.

This is from the BTOr doc.

for the stable stability level the DLM function attempts to keep sync loses to below 3 per 24 hour period and to keep the line error free more than 99.98% (5999/6000 seconds) of uptime measured over a 24 hour period. (including switching off modems/routers which count as a sync loss)

Switching off the modem should ensure that it sends a dying gasp message to the DSLAM, but the above suggests that BToR DLM is choosing to ignore this information.

Theres a discussion of some of the differences - specifically relating to the BTOr DLM in this thread
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:25:15 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 11:41:58 PM »

Hello burakkucat

Is the DLM a separate piece of physical hardware running the software and then its connected to control board on the MA5616 via lan cable  ?

This is the BTw DLM system

As you can see, the data collector is a separate box which sits near the MSAN.  RAMBO is a separate box. 
NCAS information is held on a separate system at the RAS..  all controlled by BTw's overall management system.

Theres a bit more info the BTw DLM here

---
As to BT Openreach system, because the DSLAMs are in the cabs, Ive no idea where the data collector is going to be located.  Possibly somewhere in the exchange but I dont know for sure..  it may be sending it straight to the RAS.
The difference in the build & layout of the 2 systems & the fact theres no data collector boxes attached directly to the DSLAM  could well be the very reason why BToR arent taking note of any dying gasp messages received by the DSLAM?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 11:42:36 PM »

There seems to be some fundamental misunderstanding taking place . . .  :-X

The only item that receives and acts upon a CPEs 'dying gasp' is the MSAN (or DSLAM).

In this particular case, which is Openreach's NGA GEA-FTTC service (via VDSL2 over UTP to the EU), the MSAN will stop incrementing the ES, SES, etc, counters if that 'dying gasp' signal is received.

The Openreach DLM is predominately a mystery. (So if anyone has a link to a definitive description, which has been released by Openreach, please share it.  :)  )

The CPEs 'dying gasp' never 'goes anywhere near' the DLM process. The DLM process will be reading the MSAN's counters for the line in question. If the MSAN does not increment the counters, then the DLM process will have absolutely no awareness that the CPE is powered up, down or submerged in a bucket of red paint!
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 11:57:21 PM »

burakkucat I have not misunderstood that but you may have misunderstood me, if you think I am talking about what recieves the dying gasp, logs errors etc.

The dslam will tally all that data but it wont have the intelligence to collate data and then run scripts to reconfigure lines if thresholds are hit.  Thats very likely a seperate box somewhere which is all I said, and I think its not inside the cabinet (although its possible it is in there).

Looking at kitz's diagram does suggest in the adsl case the box is inside the exchange meaning one box per exchange.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 12:07:26 AM »

Fur stands up! Hiss!! Spit!!! Paw swipe!!!!  :mad:

This thread, "DLM related question", was started by DeadMan in (and continues under) "FTTC and FTTH Issues".

I have taken that question at its face value and have assumed that DM has asked his question in relation to Openreach's NGA GEA FTTC product. Hence references to BTWholesale, BTRetail (which no longer exists) and any other such entities are irrelevant.

What facts I have presented have been determined by experimental testing, under laboratory conditions, using a Huawei SmartAX MA5616 MSAN, a Huawei EchoLife HG612 Home Gateway and an ECI b-FOCuS /r devices. The core fact is that the MA5616 MSAN will act upon a 'dying gasp' emitted by the CPE. The MSANs action is to stop incrementing its counters for the particular port (the line in question).

What other processes may (or may not) do when those non-incremented counters are (or are not) read remains a mystery . . . until such time as Openreach publish the details.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 12:20:11 AM »

In this particular case, which is Openreach's NGA GEA-FTTC service (via VDSL2 over UTP to the EU), the MSAN will stop incrementing the ES, SES, etc, counters if that 'dying gasp' signal is received.

Im confused by that.

The DSLAM doesn't need a dying gasp signal to know that NTE isnt powered up.   The dying gasp is a separate message which purely & simply lets the DSLAM know "help Im dying due to lack of power, Im about to go offline" so that its not mistaken for a Loss of Sync due to other reasons,  such as a sudden noise burst causing the line to quickly drop sync.

If the routers off, then it cant accumulate ES, SES etc, so the counters cease incrementing anyhow.   The DSLAM will know its down due to the power state,  I cant recall off the top of my head now but iirc theres 3 power states.  Active [ 0], Idle[1] and Off [2].   If the lines not in sync then it knows its off.  The DSLAM uses a 'heatbeat pulse' to check if the line is in sync or not.

Dying gasp is nothing to do with the DLM, but the DSLAM could if it wanted, pass on the message to any DLM system that the router last went down due to power down and not to count it towards any instability issues.

-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 12:27:10 AM »

If the routers off, then it cant accumulate ES, SES etc, so the counters cease incrementing anyhow.

Not the active CPE's counters but the MSAN's counters, for the port (line) in question.

And with that, b*cat pads off to his warm and sleepy spot.  :'(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 01:45:18 AM »

Just read your last reply which wasnt there when Id started to make mine.

Is the confusion occuring here?
The power down step causes the (Openreach supplied) modems to send a 'dying gasp' (as specified in the relevant BT SIN) to the MSAN which, in turn, recognises that modem signal as an indicator of a power loss event.

Having received a power loss signal, the MSAN sets an internal flag and stops counting the ES (and, thus, SES).

Should that actually read

to the MSAN which, in turn, recognises that modem signal as an indicator of a power loss event loss of electrical power to the router.

Having received a power loss signal, the MSAN sets an internal flag and stops counting the ES (and, thus, SES).

AND/OR

Having received notification of [ 0 ] power state at the remote end through lack of a heartbeat signal and no sync, then no ES/SES error messages will be received. 

If the modem is just disconnected from the line, the MSAN continues to count ES (and SES). The values stored in those counters are used by the DLM to determine what (wicked or evil) actions it may apply to the line.

ES/SES dont continue accumulating whilst the modem is out of use.  When its out of use there wont be any CRCs/HECs and without those then there is no ES/SES states. You need coding violations (CRCs etc) to enter the router into an ES/SES state.  Thus power off = 0 data = 0 coding violations = 0 ES.   Not sure how the MSAN could possibly continue counting error states when for a line isnt in sync. regardless or not if the router has send a dying gasp. 
They are bit errors (data)  Get enough bit errors and then the router enters into an alarm state for a few seconds and comes back out again when there are no more bit errors.   Eventually its these alarm states that will cause the router to lose sync, but its the routers job to now try a resync and see if it can sync at a lower speed.  The DSLAM doesnt do anything other than continue to record any errors.  Its up to the router to try and get itself out of this situation.

Even from the port side.. if the router is off..  then no throughput data can be received therefore no coding violations & no E/S.
Look at it from the other way round.  If the DSLAM goes down, the router doesnt continue to rack up Err/Secs.  It senses 'no sync' and error counters dont accumulate just because the other end doesnt respond.

Theres old routers possibly still in use that arent capable of sending the dying gasp signal, if their owner unplugs the router, the MSAN doesnt count every second as a E/S.. the heatbeat sorts that.   Otherwise can you imagine how many ErrSecs would be racked up if theyd been away on holiday.
Same applies if someone on VDSL pulls the modem cable and leaves the router off for the next week.  The heartbeat detects the power off state and stops any counters.

On Be some of their MSANs never reset the counters, so you'd get a constant accumulation of the number of errors for the upstream.  It certainly would NOT continue counting and racking up errors when the router wasnt plugged in.

The idea of the dying gasp is purely to say.. hey I went down due to something at this end.  Dont worry if Im not up again for x weeks, its not a line fault.
Its intention is simply to give an indication of whether the line is down due to a line fault or power failure.
Dying gasp isnt there to stop the ES count accumulating, it may do it more elegantly,  but ES wont accumulate once the DSLAM knows the line isnt in use... regardless of how it went down.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 12:24:58 PM »

Im confused by that.

The DSLAM doesn't need a dying gasp signal to know that NTE isnt powered up.   The dying gasp is a separate message which purely & simply lets the DSLAM know "help Im dying due to lack of power, Im about to go offline" so that its not mistaken for a Loss of Sync due to other reasons,  such as a sudden noise burst causing the line to quickly drop sync.

If the routers off, then it cant accumulate ES, SES etc, so the counters cease incrementing anyhow.   The DSLAM will know its down due to the power state,  I cant recall off the top of my head now but iirc theres 3 power states.  Active [ 0], Idle[1] and Off [2].   If the lines not in sync then it knows its off.  The DSLAM uses a 'heatbeat pulse' to check if the line is in sync or not.

Dying gasp is nothing to do with the DLM, but the DSLAM could if it wanted, pass on the message to any DLM system that the router last went down due to power down and not to count it towards any instability issues.

exactly kitz.

The counters themselves are not DLM.

VDSL vendors dont have DLM on their kit, DLM isnt part of vdsl spec.  Its an artifical thing added by BT to automate line management.  For this reason alone any DLM processing will not be done on the dslams themselves, instead the stats dslams collect such as ES's are used by DLM to determine what the algorithm does.

The closest comparison I can think of eg. is when I monitor servers, I get much of the information via snmp, the servers themselves run snmp (and any custom scripts I add) to collect data for my monitoring, just because those servers collect the data it doesnt mean they 'process' that data.

Kitz I defenitly agree on the ES and SES also, if the conneciton is down unless there is a bug in the code they wotn accumulate, instead UAS accumuulates.

The only possibility I can think of where ES and SES may continue to rise is that when there is no dying gasp, ES,SES will temporary accumulate because then the connection has to 'time out' and how long that takes I guess is dependent on the heartbeat configuration, but eventually it would timeout and as such then the ES and SES will no longer go up.  Whilst a dying gasp is like closing a TCP session it instantly closes the connection so no timeout is needed.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 12:35:41 PM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything