Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Starting a new business..where to go?  (Read 9429 times)

CharHolds

• Just arrived
Starting a new business..where to go?
« on: October 21, 2013, 10:16:44 AM »

Hi. This topic looks a bit dead but I'm hoping I can get some advice about websites. I've recently started my own business (cupcakes, cake decorating, that kind of thing) but I am a bit lost. I only ever did it as a hobby but my friends convinced me to do it professionally. I've researched what to do when starting a business and the next step is to create a website, but as I am not great with technology, I thought I'd ask on here. I've come across this kind of thing but I was hoping that somebody might have some suggestions? Or any advice you can share, I'd really appreciate it! Many thanks.   
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:19:42 PM by CharHolds »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Starting a new business..where to go?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »

Im not sure but to me £12 per month seems a bit expensive for a starter package, and I cant seem to see what is included in there as what I consider  important for hosting such as disk space, monthly bandwidth use, can you use php? does it include databases?

What you appear to be paying for with this package is the website design software and how everything is 'all-in-one".  For a new-comer to publishing their first website then £12 is probably worth it for ease.
I think namesco do a similar site building package for about £6.   Ive not used either companies so I cant comment on what their actual hosting is like.

The other alternative if you wish to save money is a starter package from somewhere like vidahost.  This doesnt include website design but does include free installation packages for software like wordpress and magento shopping cart which is used by many online businesses.

If its the website design aspect that concerns you then there are free web design packages that can be downloaded to your PC such as serif, but you can pay for more advanced software too.

I myself personally prefer to pay one off for the software & make my own hosting arrangements, as in the long term its much cheaper and doesn't tie you to one particular host.

At the end of the day its going to be what's going to be simplest for you.  If one of the all-in-one site builders is going to save you a lot of time and hassle then then its possibly worth paying a small premium for it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 03:25:44 PM »

One thing I would add to the above is that the first thing to do is register your own domain with a name which associates with your business name. Use that domain for your website and also for your business email. So, for example, if your business is called OhMyGosh Cakes, than you could register the domain ohmygoshcakes.co.uk (assuming it's not already taken) and then your website could be http://ohmygoshcakes.co.uk and your email address john@ohmygoshcakes.co.uk .

[Edit - I see that domain is already taken, along with several other similar domains, by another business, so you may have to search a bit to find something suitable]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:31:32 PM by roseway »
  Eric

CharHolds

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 09:48:38 AM »

Kitz, thank you so much for all the info, that's very good advice! I'll check out the sites you mentioned, I think it probably is best if everything is already included in terms of the website just because I wouldn't like to spend lots of time on it and I'm not all that good with web design anyways.
And Roseway, thanks for the tip too! I wouldn't call my business Ohmygoshcakes anyways...although it does grab the attention  ;D

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 07:32:33 PM »

Advice about websites.

If you decide to get a website remember its the 21 century equivalent to the old fashion shop window on the high street. If it isn't done right it will drive custom away.

Websites are a great way to show case your talent so get good quality pictures of your work to display on it.

Having a website won't guarantee people will be banging your door down to buy.
The first hurdles for your website is to show up when potential customers search. A good page ranking is a slow process and needs a good understanding of what not to do when writing the copy to go on the website and the code that allows it to be displayed by a browser, so avoid anyone who claims they can get you to number one in no time flat.

Use Google to search out your competitors and look at and get ideas from there websites!
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 07:02:47 PM »

One thing to add, do plenty of research to make sure your chosen domain name (and trading name) is original, and that it does not conflict with anybody else’s Trademarks.    The fact a domain is available is no guarantee it won’t be challenged.

I seem to remember the various trademark bodies, UK, US, & elsewhere, are all searchable at no cost.  The last thing you want, should your business take off, is to be forced to change its name...

anything