Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: split hard drive  (Read 10912 times)

krysia

split hard drive
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:20:51 AM »

my apologise mod if this is in the wrong place
my apologise members to sound so thick ..but i am with computers ...till its sussed !!!     ;D

I need help before I muck it up
have bought a new computer and the guy in the shop said he has split the hard drive into  C (150 gb )  and  D    (600 gb)

am i correct in thinking ...when i download a programme such as anti virus , Malware....adobe  etc..i tell it to go into " C "   and documents photos etc I tell it to go into " D "

thanks in anticipation of your replies

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: split hard drive
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:46:16 AM »

Well it is likely that this is what he has done. It is normal to partition (as it is called) large hard drives so that the operating system and programs sit on one partition (with Windows this is almost invariably C if he left the defaults alone) and this leaves the D partition in your case for data (photos, video, documents etc). The problematic thing with Windows is that most of your stuff like photos and documents will end up on the C drive by default unless you tell Windows differently, it is a real PITA in this respect.  Some folks leave large hard drives as one large partition for this very reason, however you can end up losing stuff if you ever have to re-install unless you are very careful about backups.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

krysia

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:53:27 AM »

thank you Stuart.....
So , do i get a choice where to save it (hard drive wise , as well as a choice in which folder to save in ...by a dropdown menu ?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 09:53:22 AM »

To be honest it is likely to depend on the application you are running whether it gives you a choice. You need to look carefully at the configuration options of the application and see if you can set the locations to be used for saving the data. Some allow this and others use the Windows default. The defaults can be changed but you need to be careful otherwise is some circumstances you can create problems.

I am using Windows less and less now having Linux as my main system for some years. Linux has a very different philosophy and many of these issues do not exist.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

krysia

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 10:36:43 AM »

its windows 7

krysia

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 03:31:41 PM »

please can anyone give me an answer to this before i cock it up tomorrow...cant see a tutorial on a partition hard drive
anywhere     :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 04:47:43 PM »

Most programs will auto-install on C:\     All your system files and programs will be on C including any favourites mydocs etc.
D is usually for data files you specifically move and store there such as photos videos, backups etc. 

I have 120 GB on C which is where windows 7 is installed and all my program files go....  and then 1TB for my D & E drives where I store my photos and videos and anything related to the site.

Are you actually wanting to partition the drives?   The suggested partitions of 150/600 sound about right to me.
Yes - let progs install to c:\program files.   They will by default.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 04:51:21 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 05:04:55 PM »

If you use Microsoft Office as many of us do, Word, for example, will routinely save letters or spreadsheets in Excel, in C:. If you want to save such data to D: you will have to do a "Save as" and specifically save each document to D:. It is possible to change the default save destination which saves this little bit of hassle but a liitle bit more work is involved. This is not difficult but you may need guidance.
Tony

krysia

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 08:55:28 PM »

many , many thanks...its clearer now....   

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 09:47:25 AM »

You will have the option on what partition you want to install (C:\ or D:\) software on and keep your personal files, etc.

krysia

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 02:29:05 PM »

hi , its me again .... :no: Im not getting a choice , its all going on "C" drive     :'(
the only way i can get it to " D " is to copy it or drag it there after downloading photos     >:(

anyone know how i can put humpty dumpty ( the drive ) back together again ??????  please

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »

It has been known to install programs to the larger partion leving the smaller one for windows.

Why do some do this?

Because if windows crashed and had to be re-installed you would lose all your settings, but if you have instaled programs to the other partion they are all still there.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 12:25:39 AM »

the only way i can get it to " D " is to copy it or drag it there after downloading photos 

Most programs will auto-install on C:\     All your system files and programs will be on C including any favourites mydocs etc.
D is usually for data files you specifically move and store there such as photos videos, backups etc. 

I presume you are talking about photos you download?    If so normally by default they go to your c drive. 
When you download something in your browser it will normally give you an option each time OR a default location will have been set.  This can be amended depending on which browser you use.

I normally download everything to c:\  and then move the things I want to keep on my d:\   After youve had the PC a while, the D drive soon starts to fill.

All my day to day stuff & of course system and program files are on c.    D is where anything permanent is.  It can also be for any backups.

Theres also a handy tool that I use for backups and moving files.   
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

I use it to copy things like my desktop, download folder & my docs folders to my 2nd drive as a backup.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

krysia

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 07:11:22 AM »

thank you so much..I am on a huge learning curve here and do really  appreciate all help

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 01:17:44 PM »

Hi, I apologies as this is a bit lengthy but it may help with your understanding.

Why partition a hard disk?

A partitioned hard drive is just a way to take one physical hard disk and chop it up into multiple logical hard disks known as partitions. The operating system (windows in this case) will then display these partitions in explorer as individual hard disks.

Without getting to involved choosing whether to partition a hard disk and how, is personnel choice BUT there are benefits to doing so, such as the potential to relieve computer related issues.

One of the most common reasons for partitioning is to create two logical disks one for the operating system and one for personal files or data (My Document, music, video etc). The benefit here is that you are free to reformat the operating system partition without worry that your data (stored on the other partition) which you had forgotten to backup will also be gone.

Strictly speaking, it is best to modify the Windows installation media, which by default wants to install everything on one partition (normally C:) so during installation it will install operating system files on C: and My Documents and various other system files  on the other partition (normally D:). The reason for doing this is that there are many other files, directories and registry keys , not just My Documents etc which will also be installed on or pointed to the D: drive that you may want to preserver if you decide to reload the OS.

By default, Windows will do the following
  • Install new programs into the C:\program files or C:\program files (x86) dependant on whether they are 32 or 64 bit
  • Saving files, most program but especially Microsoft programs save them to C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents aka Documents or My Documents

If your windows operating system is pre installed and your documents aren’t being saved to the second partition and you want them too don’t panic, you don’t need to re master an OS DVD or re install Windows.

As with most things Microsoft there is more than one way to do things but one of the easiest ways to “move” my documents is as follows (this is a per user process).

• Click Start
  • In the Search Programs and Files box type %userprofile% and press enter
    This will open a window with your My Doc, Video and Music folders etc
  • Right Click a folder whose location you want to change. My Documents in this case, then Click Properties from the context menu
  • from the My Documents properties window Click the Location tab
  • Click Move. Generally its preferable to have already created a folder in the new location but if you haven’t browse to the new location and Right Click in the window and Click New, select Folder and name the folder. What you name it doesn’t matter as will be explained later
  • This folder should be highlighted by default but if not Click on the newly created folder, to highlight it, now Click Select Folder
  • The next action will move your files, Click Apply
  • Click Yes to the message about moving files. Click OK

OMG!!

I click Documents on the start menu and my documents aren’t displayed? Worse than that I can’t find the folder I create to move them too!!

Firstly, no matter what you called the folder when you created in the above steps, Microsoft will have renamed it to correspond to the folder name you are moving. So if you move My Music to I:\temp001 you will need to look for I:\My Music.

Secondly, when you click on My Music on the Start menu this is just a location containing links or Libraries. These Libraries can be added or removed so just Click Include a folder and browser to the new location, remember your not looking for the name you gave the folder, Highlight the folder by Clicking on it then Click Include.

NOW, all should be well.

If at some point you want to put everything back to defaults, i.e. move the My Music folder back to its default location this is very simple.

Follow the above guide till step 4. Then Click Restore Defaults on the My Music Properties window. Click OK to any messages and when it’s finished your done. No need to worry about libraries as they will have be changed back to defaults too  ;D

Hope this helps with the learning curve

Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional
Pages: [1] 2