Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are Plusnet slowing FTTC speeds to what BT Broadband Availability checker says  (Read 16535 times)

SE

• Reg Member

Hi

I got fibre at 60Mbps with no errors and no drop out or disconnections

then after 10 days my line dropped to 47Mbps

plusnet have gone from nice when i was moving to them, to cold and "you should be grateful for what you get" and will not help  >:(

when i joined i was told that they only use the BT Broadband Availability checker as a guide and that when some PN staff got fibre they were told they would get say 50 but end up getting 60

hell i know people on BT who were told they would get 60 but get 100

thing is i got 60 even though bt av test said 47 (it also said 1 on adsl2+ and i got 12)
and as it dropped to exactly to what the tester says they will do nothing

I'm very suspicions of this drop as the line was good so they told me
and the drop is exactly what the test said. it seems like pn have capped me to that speed
and this is not a error, but pn made
my ping has gone from 5 to 40 too

i asked them if they have slowed me to the testers guess speed but they will not answer the question
and even slowed replying to me, it took 24 hrs, now it takes 3 days

i cant give line stats as i haven't flashed the modem as i want to keeps it as sold to me
is it normal for FTTC to drop buy 13Mbps when the line is good with no problems?

any thoughts on this please
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:09:10 PM by SE »

c6em

• Reg Member

Unlikely as the service is capped at 80Mbps sync speed regardless of how near the cabinet you are, and that leaves the IP setting and consequently the max achievable download speed somewhat less than 80Mbps.

SE

• Reg Member

Unlikely as the service is capped at 80Mbps sync speed regardless of how near the cabinet you are, and that leaves the IP setting and consequently the max achievable download speed somewhat less than 80Mbps.
Sorry but the engineer told me and he wouldn't lie
he might have meant sync, but even on street stats they are getting over 80
TT are showing 92.5
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:00:16 PM by SE »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

You are both correct.  :)

Initially a NGA GEA FTTC via VDSL2 service is set to a 'wide open' profile. That allows the DLM process to record what the line was capable of achieving when it was first provisioned. The profile is then set (banded) according to which one of the three products that the ISP/CP is purchasing from Openreach -- either 80/20, 40/10 or 40/2
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

SE

• Reg Member

You are both correct.  :)

Initially a NGA GEA FTTC via VDSL2 service is set to a 'wide open' profile. That allows the DLM process to record what the line was capable of achieving when it was first provisioned. The profile is then set (banded) according to which one of the three products that the ISP/CP is purchasing from Openreach -- either 80/20, 40/10 or 40/2

I guess the 100 is for lucky people who live with the cab at arms length away  :)

Can the isp override the DLM at all? (if the DLM is too strict)
in my case my line profile was something like 76, now its 50.2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Plusnet have no control over your line speed.  That is entirely down to your modem and the DSLAM in the cab. 
As mentioned by C6em the highest possible sync speed is 79,999 kbps (80 for short) regardless of the ISP or even if the line is on an open profile.

iirc the bt checker says about 60Mbps for my line but I sync at 79,999.
It also told me that on adsl2+ that Id get around 16Mbps, when in fact this line was capable of syncing at the full 24Mbps or 23Mb/2.6 annex_m

>> but even on street stats they are getting over 80

which street stats? :confused:
Aside from virgin cable/ fttp the most sync anyone can get is 80/20.  This would give a throughput of circa 72 Mbps.

>> but pn made my ping has gone from 5 to 40 too

Not sure about 5ms.  12-15ms is normally a good ping result depending where in the UK you live and which server you are pinging.   
40ms sound more like interleaving has been applied.   Believe me if PN were doing this then their forums would really be up in arms.  They tend to attract some of the techie types and PN should know that they really couldnt get away with doing something like that.

>> Sorry but the engineer told me and he wouldn't lie

Im sure he wouldnt, BUT  .... There are some very good engineers and then there are a few who dont have a clue..  like the engineer who visited me.  Saw tons of CRCs racking up and saying.  *oh those dont matter - its FECs that are important. Since you dont have any FECs then your line is fine*  The fact my line isnt interleaved would probably be the reason why I didnt have any FECs surely? :-X  Thats just one instance of B$ ive heard from BT over the years.

What concerns me about the fact that the vast majority of EUs wont know their sync speed and have no way of checking it. 
Some BT engineers will resort back to the time old cop out.   Oh nothing wrong with your line - Its your ISP throttling your service.     Believe me Ive heard that many a time - as will anyone who has been involved in adsl for more than about 8yrs.   

TBH its that sort of rubbish that made me start 'frogstats' many many years ago which gave a way for EUs to check their linestats.  Frogstats/linestats was kind of the birth of the site you see today. 

>>  cant give line stats as i haven't flashed the modem as i want to keeps it as sold to me

Try doing a BT performance test and let us know the results.

>>> I guess the 100 is for lucky people who live with the cab at arms length away

Honestly without going FTTP/Cable there is no 100 Mbps.   79999 is the most you will see.

>> Can the isp override the DLM at all? (if the DLM is too strict)

The bane of FTTC.  The ISP has no control, other than speed/standard/stable.   A reset can only be done by a BToR engineer :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

c6em

• Reg Member

Well anyway, I'll hazard a guess that the culprit in the speed drop and interleaving being applied is the usual one.
Cable Cross talk.
Someone else nearby to the OP has recently had the FTTC service activated on their line and this other person's line pair just happens to lies next to the OP's in the cable bundle and hence you are now getting interference.
Cross talk is much more severe on FTTC than on plain vanilla ADSL
So the DLM reduces the sync/applies interleaving as necessary.

As 'Kitz' says the ISP have very little control on FTTC and in particular they cannot switch interleaving on/off for you.

Guessing here - but maybe this in part is because IF it WAS possible for people to get ISP's to switch off their interleaving and given the effects of cross talk on other lines they are in effect saying I don't give a monkey's about the effect on my neighbours lines I want mine to work 'like so'.
In my opinion we are slowly moving towards a situation where the DLM will be actively managing and adjusting all lines real time to give the best to most people most of the time while ensuring one line does not hog the whole lot.
The progress is like your car's ignition advance/retard setting.  Early car's has adjusting levers on the steering column.  Then it was was semi- controlled (badly) by springs in the distributor and moving ratchet plates.  Now it is controlled automatically by way of the engine mapping in the car's ECU plus engine sensors and is totally invisible to and out of the control of the driver.

SE

• Reg Member

Well anyway, I'll hazard a guess that the culprit in the speed drop and interleaving being applied is the usual one.
Cable Cross talk.
Someone else nearby to the OP has recently had the FTTC service activated on their line and this other person's line pair just happens to lies next to the OP's in the cable bundle and hence you are now getting interference.
Cross talk is much more severe on FTTC than on plain vanilla ADSL
So the DLM reduces the sync/applies interleaving as necessary.

As 'Kitz' says the ISP have very little control on FTTC and in particular they cannot switch interleaving on/off for you.

Guessing here - but maybe this in part is because IF it WAS possible for people to get ISP's to switch off their interleaving and given the effects of cross talk on other lines they are in effect saying I don't give a monkey's about the effect on my neighbours lines I want mine to work 'like so'.
In my opinion we are slowly moving towards a situation where the DLM will be actively managing and adjusting all lines real time to give the best to most people most of the time while ensuring one line does not hog the whole lot.
The progress is like your car's ignition advance/retard setting.  Early car's has adjusting levers on the steering column.  Then it was was semi- controlled (badly) by springs in the distributor and moving ratchet plates.  Now it is controlled automatically by way of the engine mapping in the car's ECU plus engine sensors and is totally invisible to and out of the control of the driver.
Sorry I have to pop out, so will give more info tomorrow.

one thing I need to say is the black pole box is on our wall (underground), so it serves a few people, and I think my wife's friend was getting fttc, and it looks like it on our box  :baby:

after the box the or engineer could only get 1 up and 30 down, so he bypassed the pole box and just twisted and crimped the pair, then use tape.  ???

also kitz the bt speed test will not complete without error on pt 2, i'll post snaps tomorrow, but thx for the info  :angel:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 11:04:58 PM by SE »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

plusnet will only be capping you too low if you have a stuck low profile with them, their system by design doesnt cap speeds to estimated speeds.

But as you have discovered tech support response and openreach response is a lottery, someone may get told tough luck you over the estimated speed whilst another person in the same situation could et pair swapped, joints fixed and lift and shift, luck of the draw.

The estimated speeds are set extremely conservatively which is why a fair few people easily exceed the estimate by 10s of mbits.  Its my view that if a line fails to hit its estimate then the line must be in a pretty bad state. Whether thats a bad state of crosstalk or some physical fault.  Even if a line is over its estimate but only just about it likely either has a fault or suffering from moderate or more crosstalk.

My line was estimated 65.9mbit I initially had 110 attainable, I am now down to a 68mbit sync and BT reduced my estimate to 59.3.

I have had a couple of idiotic engineers visit and also spoken to some decent ones.  One of the engineers claimed a 80mbit sync is simply impossible on FTTC and that I was simply wrong that I started of on such high stats.

The pattern of my line never stays the same for long, something seems to change at least every couple of weeks, whether its the attainable jumping up or down or the power masking.

SE

• Reg Member

Hi guys thanks for the info  :)
For the life of me I can't see the over 70 speed test on the uswitch map now  ???
www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/streetstats

When BTor fitted the VDSL, they said oh you will get 1 up and 30 down, but after I told him that he needs to replace the pole box on our wall as its corroded and the cover was on and off for months, he did a test before the box and got 60 down and about 11 up
he called his boss to request a new box as it was also slowing other people down, but he said no and to bypass the box and connect my wires to the ones in the ground, so he twisted them together, crimped them and use tape  ::)

he said the box was not fit and must be replaced, and he was reporting it
cant remember the number he marked it on the inside with as he put on a cover, but he said someone would return within a week, they never did and my wires are still left hanging out

PN said as the install is closed, they will not do anything about it

bt or don't give a monkey if the box is slowing customers down by as much as 50%, what the point of us having gold connectors when the btor stuff after our routers is corroded and old  ???

I dont think the taped wires are slowing it down as its 47 exactly what the bt tester said it would be

one thing what made me think PN were messing with speeds was that on the morning of my move from ADSL2+ to VDSL was the big jump in speed while still on ADSL2+
my speed was 11.27Mbps but was supposed to be higher.
i was told that's all they can give, and as its over 4Mbps thats it
on the morning of the move to VDSL when i still had ADSL2+ the PN profile was set to fibre
and my ADSL2+ jumped from 11.27 to 13.14Mbps until a few hrs later BTor called to say they were starting the move

so to me it looked like PN changed my profile and it uncapped the speed (see pics)

The big drop in VDSL speed... can interleaving and the dlm cause it drop so far?

www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=cb544a8

ping was as low as 5
the drop from 57 at the pc's to 55 was caused by my wife unplugging the modem one day one  :no:

www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=2fd85b9

http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=9121be1

The BT Speed Test will not complete and I get this

"Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service."

btw I can't seem to get the img links working using the insert image button  :blush:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:27:38 PM by SE »

SE

• Reg Member

plusnet will only be capping you too low if you have a stuck low profile with them, their system by design doesnt cap speeds to estimated speeds.

But as you have discovered tech support response and openreach response is a lottery, someone may get told tough luck you over the estimated speed whilst another person in the same situation could et pair swapped, joints fixed and lift and shift, luck of the draw.

The estimated speeds are set extremely conservatively which is why a fair few people easily exceed the estimate by 10s of mbits.  Its my view that if a line fails to hit its estimate then the line must be in a pretty bad state. Whether thats a bad state of crosstalk or some physical fault.  Even if a line is over its estimate but only just about it likely either has a fault or suffering from moderate or more crosstalk.

My line was estimated 65.9mbit I initially had 110 attainable, I am now down to a 68mbit sync and BT reduced my estimate to 59.3.

I have had a couple of idiotic engineers visit and also spoken to some decent ones.  One of the engineers claimed a 80mbit sync is simply impossible on FTTC and that I was simply wrong that I started of on such high stats.

The pattern of my line never stays the same for long, something seems to change at least every couple of weeks, whether its the attainable jumping up or down or the power masking.

My profile says this

Estimated line speed:47Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.)  - Checked on 2013-09-12 17:59:39Current line speed:50.2 Mb

it was at the time of the 57Mbps speed was something like 76

When your speed dropped, how long was it after install?

my drop from 60Mbps at the box (57Mbps at the PC) tp 47Mbps was on day 10

Called PN again and got a big NO, as it's 47 and the BT test said 47 when I joined them, well that's it
even when I told them about the pole box and the tape, it was NO go away

They seem to be all charm and no action
Then again BTor seem to be the ones that dig in and do nothing
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:42:20 PM by SE »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

The part you just posted is PNs profile, this is the maximum speed they will send data to you., it  should be slightly lower than your sync.  Some times it gets stuck, and doesn't update. When your modem  resyncs  BT should update the profile to PN who will then update their profile.

I'm not sure if the same applies to ADSL, but if it does it would sort of explain your ADLS speed increase. Some  users in the past found their VDSL download  to be about the same as ADSL, as PN hadn't updated the profile so it must apply to ADSL.

Yes, interleaving can drop your sync by 10 Meg. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:45:09 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

SE

• Reg Member

The part you just posted is PNs profile, this is the maximum speed they will send data to you., it  should be slightly lower than your sync.  Some times it gets stuck, and doesn't update. When your modem  resyncs  BT should update the profile to PN who will then update their profile.

I'm not sure if the same applies to ADSL, but if it does it would sort of explain your ADLS speed increase. Some  users in the past found their VDSL download  to be about the same as ADSL, as PN hadn't updated the profile so it must apply to ADSL.

Yes, interleaving can drop your sync by 10 Meg.

Hi
Do you think asking them to set it higher than 50.2 Mb will do anything?

I keep the modem connected all the time, but have restated the router 2x to make lan setting stick
when trying to get the sync speed higher, should I turn off the router or the modem and router

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

<snip>
he said the box was not fit and must be replaced, and he was reporting it
cant remember the number he marked it on the inside with as he put on a cover, but he said someone would return within a week, they never did and my wires are still left hanging out
<snip>

It probably was an A1024. An image of an example is attached, below.

[With thanks to Walter, for providing the original image from which that example was cropped.]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Hi
Do you think asking them to set it higher than 50.2 Mb will do anything?

I keep the modem connected all the time, but have restated the router 2x to make lan setting stick
when trying to get the sync speed higher, should I turn off the router or the modem and router

If it's set just below your sync speed then no, think of it like a motorway. If you got cars going 50mph through roadworks, and all the cars before the roadworks are doing 70, then they are going to crash or come to a halt. Your line can't go any faster than it's sync speed, so it is point less PN sending the data any quicker, it will just get discarded.

My sync speed is 46.5, and my PN profile is 45.6, so it should be about a meg less.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D
Pages: [1] 2