Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New FTTC installation queries  (Read 2833 times)

Wrongway

• Just arrived
New FTTC installation queries
« on: October 17, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »

We upgraded to FTTC on Tuesday this week with Plusnet.  The install went quite smoothly and so far have been pleased with the results.  I have bought a replacement HG612 modem that is new but unlocked.  I would like to try it or at very least reroute the power lead on the existing modem which is not ideally routed at the moment.  However I am scared to disconnect the modem after reading so much confusing stuff about training periods and disconnections that reduce line speeds.  We moved over to Plusnet in August on ADSL from an LLU provider in preparation for the FTTC upgrade.  I remember at the time we disconnected the router (or reset it)  a couple of times and the indicated line speed seemed to drop after each disconnection as indicated in the Draytek router stats.  A bit like loosing another life in a game.  I don't want similar to happen if I disconnect the FTTC modem.  So what happens in reality.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: New FTTC installation queries
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »

As long as you pull the modem power cable first you should be ok, the general understanding is that the modem sends a dying gasp to say it's been powered down.

I've disconnected mine and few times lately without problems.

Also with FTTC there is no training period, you do get two days grace unless the connection is very bad before the DLM  starts to take action to minimise errors.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:51:56 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:55:09 PM »

Hi wrongway,

..and welcome to the forum.

I understand your concerns. But issues with my connection meant that I have had to swap in router and/or modem several times and I have now done this several times without the DLM having a hissy fit.

Following advice on this forum I have generally always powered down the router first by disconnecting the power supply from the main supply. Then followed a few minutes later by powering down the modem again by disconnecting the power supply from the main supply (and NOT disconnecting by pulling the power supply cable out from the modem).

I have also waited about 30 minutes before re-connecting firstly the modem and then the router (a few minutes after reconnecting the modem). There is a suspicion that frequent disconnects awakens the interest of the DLM.

This is not based on scientific evidence (there is very little of that available) but the above procedure has always worked for me (so far!).

Regards BBN

Wrongway

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 08:48:17 AM »

Thank's to both.  I presume the main thing is to remove power to the modem at the wall socket as by the sounds of things it gives a signal as it detects the decaying voltage which probably wouldnt happen removing the power connector from the back of the modem.  Does it matter if the router goes off or not and what order.  The 30 mins wait makes sense as  I would expect the DLM to treat that more like a power fail or intentional power down than a poor line.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »

As long as you pull the modem power cable first you should be ok, the general understanding is that the modem sends a dying gasp to say it's been powered down.

I've disconnected mine and few times lately without problems.

Also with FTTC there is no training period, you do get two days grace unless the connection is very bad before the DLM  starts to take action to minimise errors.

I totally agree, pull the power so the modem can send the dying gasp message down the phone line to the dslam.

However, I have a sneaky feeling that I read somewhere in one of those loooooooong BT documents (may have been one of the patents) that the BToR DLM system ignores dying gasp messages and regardless counts the no of syncs in x period.  :/  What it does do it count the no of syncs against the uptime in the day which iirc were measured in 15 min intervals.   The supposed idea I guess being if the router is off for more than 15 mins then its more likely to be a power down than line instability. 

So if Ive been messing with anything, if possible I leave it powered off for >30 mins to make sure that at least one whole 15min period is seen by the DLM

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 01:35:59 PM »

I presume the main thing is to remove power to the modem at the wall socket as by the sounds of things it gives a signal as it detects the decaying voltage which probably wouldnt happen removing the power connector from the back of the modem.  Does it matter if the router goes off or not and what order. 

The router is designed to hold a tiny amount of power sufficient to send a dying gasp message in the event of power failure.  There's a capacitor in most modern modems specifically responsible for holding this charge.  So just pull the power cable either from the socket or the back of the modem, it shouldn't make any difference.  You could also flick the power switch on your wall socket if it has one.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker