Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fibre Optic and Homeplug setup  (Read 4936 times)

pcombo

• Just arrived
Fibre Optic and Homeplug setup
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:45:08 PM »

I have fibre optic broadband but my modem is attached to a home plug and the router is up stair attached to another home plug.

When i checked with sky they estimated i could get 70mb, but i am only on a 40mb circuit which is fine, but am only getting 20-24mb.

Would this setup give me a slower speed.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Fibre Optic and Homeplug setup
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »

Yes, very probably. You didn't mention the rated speed of the homeplugs, but however fast they are theoretically, the actual speed will always be less. How much less depends on how your home wiring is arranged.
  Eric

pcombo

• Just arrived

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 04:41:34 PM »

I'd agree with Eric, you are unlikely to get much more than that over these plugs. You would need the good quality 500mbps plugs to get better but then you wont usually get maximum speeds.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 08:55:52 PM »

Indeed. The best you are going to get from these devices is somewhere around 80-90% of quoted maximum. They are also known to cause interference with adsl signalling so they might be impacting your vdsl line speed as well.

One2Go

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »

mine from BT (Arcnet) i believe it is 200mb never reaches 40mb the best i got was 30 or less.
Was on 5mb, now on 60mb on 80/20. stable never had a major issue

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 05:55:44 PM »

I used to be a fan of Homeplugs and used them extensively on my home network instead of wireless. I did not use use wireless because of distance and wall thickness issues and problems getting a Sky Wireless Connector to work reliably.

However what I did not realise was the interference they were causing on my FTTC connection. This did not come to light until an OR engineer conducted a series of tests on my premises whilst troubleshooting cabling problems within the external OR network.  He demonstrated to me that the number of errors reported dropped significantly when some of the Homeplugs were turned off. Luckily the main fault was located out in the OR network so I was not charged for this bit of detective work.

The Homeplug that was connected to the Sky HD box was the main culprit. Turning off other Homeplugs had no/minimal impacts on the error counts. I recollect reading elsewhere on other forums (don't ask me where as this was some time ago) that the Homeplug/Sky HD Box combo was a well known source of potential issues. The inference I drew from this is that the item of equipment connected to the Homeplug may be just as relevant as the Homeplug itself along with the the state of the internal house wiring.

As consequence I reluctantly ditched the Homeplugs, and went 100% wireless and put up with some of the drawbacks.

What I would suggest you consider is an approach where you initially commit to 2 Homeplugs only, and then monitor the error rates before and after deployment.  You may get lucky and find the Homeplugs have no impact at all.

BTW I was using 85Mbs Homeplugs from ADDON (model HP0850v4) throughout. Admittedly these are at the cheaper end of the market but are widely available from a number of sources.

Regards BBN     

One2Go

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »

cheaper equal trouble for sure. but with interferences it is very difficult to pinpoint the culprit because it is usually a combination of many factors and you would need to have everything off and start turning one item at a time in order to find out the real criminal. and repeating it again at different times. sometimes outside  main power  over head cables can cause headache  ... Nothing beats a wired network no matter how messy it maybe. Cat5e are so cheap that you can get 50 meters for under 20 pounds.
Was on 5mb, now on 60mb on 80/20. stable never had a major issue

anything