Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DNS Server - Question  (Read 5313 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
DNS Server - Question
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:31:25 PM »

Seasons Greetings to all.

Well further to my earlier post,

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,1118.0.html

I changed my router from a Netgear DG834v2 to a Speedtouch 585v6 (firmware 6.2.29.2). I installed this about 3 weeks ago. All is stable and working with no issues with browsing faster.

I have a question please

My client pcs are now showing 3 DNS Servers, a) the 2 that I manually input into my router ie my ISP's DNS Servers and b) my gateway's IP address.

So looks like this:

211.1xx.x.xx
211.1xx.x.xx

I did change the Speedtouch's default gateway IP address ( to 192.168.0.1) and DHCP range (to 192.168.0.2-254).

I am wondering why the gateway is showing in the client pcs DNS Server list whereas on my previous router, a DG834v2, only the 2 real DNS Servers where showing.

Could anyone with an st585v6 (or any other Thomson router) check to see whether this is also what is happening on their set up.

Any info much appreciated

Cheers

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: DNS Server - Question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:04:54 PM »

I dont have a speedtouch connected right now to check..  but Im pretty sure the only 2 that were showing were my ISP ones.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:39:45 PM »

I use an ST576, and my Linux PCs show only the gateway address in the DNS list. So they use the router as a DNS relay I suppose.
  Eric

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:00:58 PM »

Why precisely are you manually putting DNS entries into client PCs or the router? The days of all and sundry accepting requests on recursive DNS servers are long gone.

Your PCs should be pointed at the router which will act as a DNS forwarder to your ISPs recursive servers which will be assigned at the point you login.

It sounds like you have (had) a local DNS server which you have forgotten about.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 11:08:24 PM »

Possibly because windows is a PITA and if you assign an IP address to a specific machine,
(as I do since I need certain machines to constantly have specific IP addresses for port forwarding etc)
.... then it wont let you use "Obtain DNS server address automatically", and requires that you put at least 2 DNS server IP addresses in.

I must admit I dont set them in my router though.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 11:18:55 PM »

The days of ISPs letting users of other ISPs use their DNS servers are (hopefully) all gone. The risks are too great and you need to have ACLs which reflect the IP ranges you own. You have some ISP "reps" here now (like the Zen one) so perhaps they'd like to explain why?

I know the reasons but I don't get paid to explain :P

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 11:23:25 PM »

Why precisely are you manually putting DNS entries into client PCs or the router? The days of all and sundry accepting requests on recursive DNS servers are long gone
My ISP's DNS servers have been entered into the router only

Your PCs should be pointed at the router which will act as a DNS forwarder to your ISPs recursive servers which will be assigned at the point you login.
My client pcs are only set to point to the gateway.

Posted by kitz 
Possibly because windows is a PITA and if you assign an IP address to a specific machine, (as I do since I need certain machines to constantly have specific IP addresses for port forwarding etc) .... then it wont let you use "Obtain DNS server address automatically", and requires that you put at least 2 DNS server IP addresses in.
My client pcs are set to 'obtain an IP address automatically'.

Posted by: roseway 
I use an ST576, and my Linux PCs show only the gateway address in the DNS list. So they use the router as a DNS relay I suppose.
Posted by: kitz 
I dont have a speedtouch connected right now to check..  but Im pretty sure the only 2 that were showing were my ISP ones.

Many thanks for your replies guys. kitz next time you connect you speedtouch can you check for me if you remember.

Appreciate feedback from other speedtouch owners.

Many thanks

Cheers

PS
Posted by: rizla
The days of ISPs letting users of other ISPs use their DNS servers are (hopefully) all gone.
Not sure why this is of value but for clarity, I am using the DNS servers provided by my ISP for use on the ADSL service to which I subscribe. If I wanted to use DNS servers other than those provided by my ISP, then all I would need to do is use DNS servers provided by say TreeWalk.  8)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 11:34:36 PM by risk_reversal »

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 11:33:29 PM »

You shouldn't EVER be entering what you believe to be your ISPs DNS servers. These will be allocated on login - and if they're not then the ISP needs a kick up the backside.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 11:40:12 PM »

Taken from an image posted elsewhere on the main site.....   I believe these were what was showing last time I had the ST plugged in

[argh image not showing - hang on a mo - -
Now uploaded at bottom of post]

These would have been entered from
Control Panel >> Network Connections >>
Right click on your network card connection >>
Properties >>
Highlight TCP/IP >>
Click the "Propertes" Button.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 11:44:24 PM by kitz »
-----

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 11:58:48 PM »

Hmm I'm absolutely certain Zen scan for recursive DNS servers in their IP space and if you are running one then you either end it or your service gets ended.

Recursive DNS where people have no clue how to run it (or even what it is) is a MASSIVE invitation for phishing.

Gods I remember running an mx for dozens of friends (all with a clue!) but now I don't even want a static IP on the ADSL connection due to kids etc. As I have pointed out to some of you it is trivial to say the least to track people down.

Grahammm

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 09:30:20 AM »

Why not run your own caching DNS server? Doing this will both speed up DNS queries and save quite a lot of traffic on the ADSL line.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 09:56:23 AM »

Hi Grahammm

Welcome to the forum.  :)

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 10:56:20 AM »

Why not run your own caching DNS server? Doing this will both speed up DNS queries and save quite a lot of traffic on the ADSL line.

I do. There's a Win2k3 box between our internal network and the ADSL router which amongst other things acts as a caching DNS. I'm not exactly impressed with the performance of it compared to a Linux-based DNS and given that it's quad-core (HP DL145G2 dual Opteron 275) with 4GB of RAM it isn't the hardware to blame. It's an identical spec to Gradwell's caching DNS IIRC. Too many legacy apps to switch to Linux for now and not enough time to mess about with VMWare :)

I have to reinstall the damn thing soon as I'm extracting ourselves from the MS Partner Programme. I guess I could just change the product key but I want to put a bigger/faster HD in anyway. Installing Windows always puts me in a bad mood :(

Off-topic as usual. Bad rizla :D