Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: New VDSL plate  (Read 60743 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: New VDSL plate
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2013, 01:59:21 AM »

Looks like a choke in the bottom right corner...

I'll agree with you that there is something new located in the bottom right-hand corner. However what caught my eye is the presence of four dual wound inductors (blue, yellow, green and white), unlike the three (blue, yellow and green) in the earlier design. Both versions appear to have nine capacitors. The original device has five resistors whereas the MK2 has only four. The original device has one component (labelled PS1 -- any suggestions as to what it might be, please?) whereas the MK2 appears to have two of those 'thingies'.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2013, 11:03:37 AM »

so the MK1 has a RFI component.

The MK2 has both RFI and REIN.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 08:14:08 PM »

so the MK1 has a RFI component.

The MK2 has both RFI and REIN.

Are those two lines to be considered as separate questions? Or combined as one question? Or taken as a statement of fact? (If so, I hope you will please post a link to the source from whence you obtained the fact.) Or are they just wishful thinking on your part?  :-\

At present the general consensus of opinion is that the MK1 is just a sophisticated low-pass filter, whereas the MK2 has added components to attempt to minimise the effect of external RFI.  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2013, 11:22:25 PM »

its a question of confirmation if I am right or wrong.

The MK2 has REIN resistance according to BS's post unless I misunderstood him.

What exactly is a low pass filter?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2013, 11:39:08 PM »

A low-pass filter [1] is circuitry that passes low frequency signals from the entire spectrum of frequencies applied to its input to its output with minimal attenuation.

There will be a filter which is the inverse of the above. That will be a high-pass filter. [2] (Considering the same entire spectrum of frequencies applied to the input, as above.)

------

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-pass_filter
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-pass_filter

neilius

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »

Hmm the PS1 mystery component... Looks like a capacitor doesn't it? I'm no electronics genius by any means but I know some fundamentals. There are 'spark gap' capacitors that are used for surge protection, but they usually have a slit cut in the top, allowing current to arc across during a surge.

Interestingly the older NTE2000/2005 faceplates have 2 of these components as well, unlike the 'MK1' VDSL offering:

I have just seen the MK2 come up on eBay and with me being me, my curiosity has gotten the better of me, and money has been exchanged. I wonder what effect it'll have on my plain old ADSL2+ line if any. I'm particularly interested in observing any changes in SNRm drops that happen in the evening (which tend to be about a 2.5dB drop, from 6dB to 3.5dB at worst). I'm on TalkTalk LLU and the line has a 13dB attenuation as the exchange is only a few houses down the road. Our NTE5/A is the latest one with no surge arrestor and the filter in use is the Pressac VDSL SSFP (on another note I have seen another OR branded, embossed, not printed, VDSL SSFP made by LPT Technology - the PCB layout is different but the components look the same).

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »

I'd be interested if it has any effect Nelius, and also if you get a genuine Mk2 model!

I was interested in getting one, especially if it might help reduce the hour-long once a week or so REIN problem that's been annoying me for a while now.

Please let us know how it goes!

Ian

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »

yeah its probably the same seller I Seen as was the only seller.

he posted a pic of a older faceplate so I didnt order.

neilius

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »

There are two sellers now, one with the unbranded one but saying it's a MK2 and the other one has an image of a BTOR printed one with MK2 in the right corner, but it looks like an edited image. It did only appear yesterday though so I'm crossing my fingers. Will be able to pull it apart to compare with Black Sheep's photo though.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »

I ordered one as well yesterday, and now I look at the picture again, it does indeed look like the MK2 has been added to the picture.

We'll soon see when it turns up, if it's not then it's going back, as item not as described.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2013, 07:25:08 PM »

<snip>
(on another note I have seen another OR branded, embossed, not printed, VDSL SSFP made by LPT Technology - the PCB layout is different but the components look the same).

I also have a SSFP, manufactured by LPT Technology, tucked away in my grotto as a 'spare'.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2013, 07:48:41 PM »

Well, it's made ZERO difference to the SNRM drop on my line and it hasn't helped the REIN either.

neilius

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2013, 08:32:03 PM »

I'll try to do some testing. As well as recording line stats before and after the swap, I went against my better judgement and allowed a certain operating system from Redmond be installed on a sacrificial laptop for the purposes of being able to run RouterStats Lite which supports the HG533 TalkTalk standard issue router. Not too sure what to expect as the line here is healthy (straight from the pole, through the wall into a BT80A housing gel-crimps to a few metres of CW1308 straight to the NTE5/A with no extensions) but you never know... The line does run along a pretty busy main road with lots of potentially noisy stuff along its merry way like street lights etc and I do have a DECT phone, TV, Wii, YouView box and BluRay player sitting in reasonably close proximity.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2013, 11:13:30 AM »

My lovely BT friend came round, told him I was capped at a 20Mbps sync. Performed a DLM reset, went back to my normal 25.5Mbps sync without the MK2 filter on.

I asked him if he had any in his Van, he did. I asked him if he could fit it for me, he did and got a sync up to 26.7Mbps.

Added an extra 200 tones to my line, I would use up until 1538 tones now I'm using up to 1762.

So it has improved my line, yes a little but it does help!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2013, 11:56:32 AM »

how did you get the BT friend to come out and stop the isp saying tough luck you above estimate?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9