Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: New VDSL plate  (Read 60652 times)

sacco

• Just arrived
Re: New VDSL plate
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2014, 08:14:25 AM »

Many thanks to all for the excellent and detailed advice, especially to Mr Sheep:
Our 'Bible' (ISIS Library) states that ....... 'It has been found that the SSFP RF3 filtering functionality has some limitations and will not prevent REIN faults in all cases.
The existing stand-alone RF3 may still be required to assist in solving Rein Faults, and can be fitted even when the Mk2 VDSL SSFP is in situ'.

Things were more or less as I had guessed — in fact, I had added a replacement RF3 to my parts order, so I could try clipping out the choke if necessary, but I suspect the line will be better with it in as all the flats round here I've managed to check have an RF2 from before the days of ADSL.  (There's a mast on the hill behind the house relaying, as far as I know, AM, FM, and TV for most of a town of 50,000.) 

I'll let you know what happens if I find time to try the experiment, but my goals are more modest than most of you here I think:  right now I'm just trying to turn a slow and unreliable connection into a solid and reasonably fast one. 

Besides, it's sometimes not the wiring technology, per se, that makes the greatest difference.  The biggest improvement I ever made to an ADSL installation was to buy a new PSU for my downstairs neighbour, to replace the piece of junk he was using with his laptop (and thereby enabling the whole block to receive AM radio, into the bargain).! 

As a friend of my replied to his ex- when she asked him what he thought of her fabulously expensive new hi-fi:  "Well, I think you could have gotten the same improvement cheaper if you'd just switched off the washing machine and shot the dog!" 

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »

Besides, it's sometimes not the wiring technology, per se, that makes the greatest difference.  The biggest improvement I ever made to an ADSL installation was to buy a new PSU for my downstairs neighbour, to replace the piece of junk he was using with his laptop (and thereby enabling the whole block to receive AM radio, into the bargain).! 

Yes agree 100% BUT one can't always identify the source, let alone replace/shut it down.   Also it is often the total effect of many sources, so one tries to avoid receiving them, and occasionally, re  boot because DLM has over-reacted to a spike.

Regarding your HiFi story  isn't it simply a case of More Expensive=Better; blow what it sounds like !

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2014, 07:24:54 PM »

I have spent about 7 months tracking down RFI in my premises, the culprits which I have found to produce RFI in the Home which effects the Modem and you have to remember an eletrical arc cause's a large spectrum of frequencys to be emitted, here are some below that effects me.

1. HomePlugs 90%
2. Radio China International AM 89%
2. Older FreeView Boxes pre 2005 70%
3. Old Oil Boiler switch 65%
4. Pull Cord Switch for Lights 50%
5. Fluorescence Strip Lights 38%
6. cooker switch 28%
7. Security Lighting (halogen) 20%
8. Led PC Monitor 10%

So when you think about it your modem is being hit by RFI 24/7 from all sides and that MKII is a worthless peice of S*** at the moment  ;)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

anything