Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: You Can Refuse To Have A Smart Meter.  (Read 8618 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: You Can Refuse To Have A Smart Meter.
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 07:13:42 AM »

I take it 7LM that at some point you've had a big problem with energy suppliers?

We're with OVO,  which I don't think is a big energy company.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 10:25:41 PM »

We had a water meter fitted in July..the best move I ever made,now saving me £250 a year.!!. It is one of those smart meters,no problem with it and no problem with wifi signal either  :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 11:21:30 PM »

We had a water meter fitted in July..the best move I ever made,now saving me £250 a year.!!. It is one of those smart meters,no problem with it and no problem with wifi signal either  :)

Water meters do often result in a cost saving, I have had one for decades,  though there can be 'surprises'.   

I know of two different people at first hand who have had leaks on their side of the supply, one metered, one not.   Both had to pay the cost of repairs which is fair enough as these are the rules.  But the metered customer was also billed many hundreds of pounds for the metered water that had escaped.    He got some allowance back but it was a struggle and, I think, 'discretionary'.   :o

Smart water meters are a different kettle of fish.  I hope you checked the small print, as to what you have empowered them to do at times of 'crisis'?

From...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/9219349/Smart-water-meters-to-be-installed-in-UK-homes.html
This would mean that customers are charged more during water shortages to encourage them to save water.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 11:24:09 PM »

We discovered a water meter had been fitted to our house some years ago, turned out it was fitted to the wrong house. Anyway we stayed on the old water rates, but I monitored our usage, after two years I decided we would be better off on the meter, and because it wasn't reading zero when we switched they back dated the bills to when it was fitted, we got about £350 back for those two years  ;D

7LM, don't you think he's saving more than enough to cover the remote possibility of increased charges due to times of crises?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:26:20 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 11:50:05 PM »

7LM, don't you think he's saving more than enough to cover the remote possibility of increased charges due to times of crises?

Hard to say really without pouring over the T&C but I guess we can be sure the Utility companies are of course cuddly and friendly, and would never dream of taking advantage of their customers.

But the main point is, he would make the same savings with a traditional dumb water meter.   Why take the risk by have a smart water meter instead?   Just in case they prove not to be so cuddly and friendly :D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 09:41:59 AM »

Water meters do often result in a cost saving, I have had one for decades,  though there can be 'surprises'.   

I know of two different people at first hand who have had leaks on their side of the supply, one metered, one not.   Both had to pay the cost of repairs which is fair enough as these are the rules. But the metered customer was also billed many hundreds of pounds for the metered water that had escaped.    He got some allowance back but it was a struggle and, I think, 'discretionary'.   :o

Smart water meters are a different kettle of fish.  I hope you checked the small print, as to what you have empowered them to do at times of 'crisis'?

From...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/9219349/Smart-water-meters-to-be-installed-in-UK-homes.html
This would mean that customers are charged more during water shortages to encourage them to save water.
I had a leak a while back,and luckily insurance covered it. I cannot say that I had much trouble in getting a pretty accurate rebate; may be because I had kept records from which I could prove my case. Only hitch was that the after repair test reading was done in the end year holiday period. I challenged and was successful.

SLM! Thy're not all bad
Pages: 1 [2]