Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help to interpret line stats  (Read 6764 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
Re: Help to interpret line stats
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 10:32:23 PM »

Hi BE,

Thanks for the comments and the copy of the revised graphpd.exe. I have produced another set of graphs using the new program for the period up to 18:00 today when I suspended logging.

I'll post the raw data files as you suggested later. I also have some thoughts about the HH3 which I will also outline later.

Regards

BBN

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »

Hi BE,

Cannot attach zipped files as requested - the error log exceeds the 200K limit even after being zipped. BTW - how do you attach a zipped folder to a post?

Sorry for the delay - have been investigating strange entries in my firewall log that have started to appear when I have modem stats enabled for data logging.  Have found no definite explanation yet.

Regards BBN

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 06:37:25 PM »

Upload it to a third party website and post it here?

www.sendspace.com

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 05:26:33 PM »

Hello,

(1) I’ve not entirely figured out the meaning of all of the new connection/messages I’m now seeing in my Norton Internet Security log, but so far they all appear benign. It looks like the network security map has not updated itself correctly. The HG612 now appears as a separately connected device (via LAN 2) as well as being the “gateway” - the NIS Trust settings now need some manual tweaking to reflect this.

(2)  I attach a snapshot log created today.. Once again there is a “spike” in the US_RS Corrected graph at precisely 9:00 pm. As far as I can tell there is nothing electrical in the house than can be causing this, so it must be from an external source. I guess it will have to remain a mystery. As this event only seems to occur once a day it cannot be the cause of my fluctuating speeds which can occur at any time. Apart from the “spike”, the rest of the stats look OK (to me).   

(3) For information I attach a graph created from the historical test results obtained from the BT wholesale speed tester.

(4)  I have also been looking through the notes I made since experiencing severe problems last May/June. In summary the last OR engineer visit was on 30 July when a faulty HG612 and cable connecting it to the NTE was replaced. After the swap out he did the usual line/connection checks and reported that the connection was now 100%.  During the preceding visit on 13 June (for a different broadband fault) another OR engineer spent nearly half a day changing and checking things at my home, and the external network. He did various things, performed a DLM reset and the broadband connection tested and performed OK. However whilst performing a voice circuit test he did get a “rectified loop error” but could not repeat it. He attributed this to my internal wiring. I was highly sceptical as a lot of rectification work had been done on the wiring a while ago when I was connected via ADSL and suffered poor speeds and intermittent drop outs. (This was eventually traced to a HR fault in the external network). Nevertheless I have been running without any hard wired telephone extensions since then. I would guess that if there is a HR fault the DLM would have kicked in by now?         

(5) I’m not 100% confident of the HH3. The reason I say that is that the BT retail speed tester does attempt to obtain information from the HH3.and since 10 August this speed tester has not worked reliably for me. Either it fails to work saying it cannot obtain details about my connection (and redirects me to the BT wholesale speed tester), or a figure is not produced for the Synch Speed. There is just a blank where that number should appear. I have googled this issue, and a very small number of others  have also experienced this behaviour, but normally only when their connection is very slow. So I will dust off the 2 Wire BT Business Hub that I have in reserve and install it with a good quality cable. However if my suspicions are correct the BT Retail speed tester will probably still not display as it used to, as it may not recognise the Business hub. Maybe BT have designed the tester this way so that users without a HH can still use their test site? I think I will try and get hold of another HH3 via ebay. (I have reset the HH innumerable times by the way and it makes no difference).

If changing the HH makes no difference I guess I will just have to throw in the towel and put it down to congestion in the network. At least connection is stable.

Regards BBN

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 08:45:58 PM »

(2)  I attach a snapshot log created today.. Once again there is a “spike” in the US_RS Corrected graph at precisely 9:00 pm. As far as I can tell there is nothing electrical in the house than can be causing this, so it must be from an external source. I guess it will have to remain a mystery. As this event only seems to occur once a day it cannot be the cause of my fluctuating speeds which can occur at any time. Apart from the “spike”, the rest of the stats look OK (to me).   

I agree.

Actual connection-wise it all looks pretty stable.

Nevertheless I have been running without any hard wired telephone extensions since then. I would guess that if there is a HR fault the DLM would have kicked in by now?         

Agreed again.

If changing the HH makes no difference I guess I will just have to throw in the towel and put it down to congestion in the network. At least connection is stable.

I have to agree that network congestion could well be the issue.

Otherwise, the only 'possible' explanation I can suggest is that something else is running at the time you conduct the speed tests.
e.g. Your PC may also be uploading/downloading something or maybe an attached device such as a wireless PC, tablet or iphone is 'sharing' some of the bandwidth at the same time as your speed tests are being conducted.

I have seen from the stats that you emailed to me that the data harvesting process has very occasionally taken quite a while to complete (the norm appears to be a shade under 2 seconds).
Some of these instances have shown that HG612_current_stats.exe had been running, possibly manually initiated & thus HG612_stats.exe waited until it had completed.

I don't THINK that has any relevance though.

Did you perhaps run some of the speed tests during those periods?

Overall, I honestly don't think there is anything particularly 'wrong' with your connection.
I would certainly swap it for mine any day.

Do you actually 'see' any issues such as buffering of streamed video/audio etc?
If not, I would just enjoy the quite high speeds that your connection delivers.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 12:22:12 PM »

Hi BE,

Thanks for the reassurance about the connection.

I may well have run a speed test whilst the monitoring was running.

What I did notice several times was that when requesting a set of snapshot graphs, I got a message that there were 2 instances of HG_stats running and that I should wait for it to complete. A series of asterisks then started to print across the screen. But no matter how long I waited (over several minutes) the asterisks continued to print and the snapshot graphs were never produced. I had to force an exit.

I don't regularly stream video but when I do, I don't suffer experience serious buffering issues.

Regards BBN

Pages: 1 [2]

anything