Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Which modem/router do you use?  (Read 7010 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Which modem/router do you use?
« on: January 22, 2006, 04:47:32 PM »

Present.

Currently have a Solwise SAR110 as the main router with a BT Voyager 2100 hooked up as a glorified wireless access point.

Past.

Have also had a Netgear DG834G on "long term loan" and have also had a US Robotics Wireless AP.

Comments.

Ive had the SAR110 for nearly 3 years now.  Its very reliable with incredible uptime records (3800 + hours was my record before I had to reboot it to change some rules).  Its pretty rock steady and often goes into 1000's of hours.  I think in all the time Ive had it.. its only locked up twice on me..  which is some good going.

The Voyager 2100 is pretty nice..  but I was disappointed in that I purchased it specifically because it was supposed to support IGMP, which it doesnt do too well.  Hence why I have it plugged into the SAR110 now.
The reporting features and admin side of things are pretty basic compared to what I can do on the SAR110.
A good router though if youre not interested in igmp (multicasting) or digging deeper into the techy side of things.

[edit Jul 2006 - After speaking with Voyager support they have released a beta firmware version for the voyager 2100 which Ive been testing.  Good news - igmp is now working ]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 05:23:39 PM »

Present

Currently have a Netgear DG834G router (with inbuilt 4 port switch and 54Mbps wireless) and am very pleased with it. My only gripe is that it doesn't support multicast, but hopefully that may be getting resolved with a new firmware update. Other than that it's a very stable piece of kit, and belies the popular belief that Netgear stuff is generally rubbish.

Past

I've had a Solwise SAR130 and it was the worst thing I've ever owned, and I'll leave it at that! Prior to that I had a Draytek Vigor 2600 - did pretty much everything you could want from a router, but a few niggles prevented it being the perfect router, like it could easily have been.
Chris

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 04:04:21 PM »

Netgear DG834 v2. (Bit more room on my desktop with it on it's side)  8)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 06:35:55 PM by bob.gas »
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

Treadmore

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 05:14:15 PM »

Current - Netgear DM602 (same as SAR110)

geo1600

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 11:28:25 PM »

Curret Modem/Router- ASUS AAM6310EV similar to SAR-110

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 12:01:48 AM »

Modem: Motorola SB4200 (Ethernet connected)
Always open to suggestions.
Although I've never had a problem with it.

BB Router: Mentor ADSL-FR4II

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 02:39:46 PM »

Netgear 834 (non wireless) - solid as a rock.

Previously Netgear 632 - so good I jumped up and down on it.  It now has a new home at the local Reuse and Recyling Centre (that's the Tip to you and me)

PN supplied USB Modem, think it was a BT Voyager but never got it to work

E-Tec ADSL PCI Modem, that one never worked either (neither would sync).

I await with interest the first problems with the 834, read somewhere that the expected life of a consumer modem is about 1 year.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 02:46:18 PM »

I use a DG834 as well. Mine is just 12 months old, and so far it hasn't shown any sign of faiNO CARRIER
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 08:09:59 PM »

Linksys WAG54G Ver1.2 wireless router which I got on ebay to replace bt Voyager 105 usb. I like the Linksys better now that I've found the hidden stats pages thanks to Kitz' kit report. What sort of twisted thinking to put a facility on & then hide it is beyond me. Mind you the guy that found it must have been twisteder. :D

Linksys works well with main PC wired in and upstairs on wireless. Seems to run very hot, but I gather a lot of them do: have heard of people cutting extra vent holes. The only problem I have is the opposite; when it has been switched off overnight it takes forever to re-establish the Ethernet connection, sometimes 15 minutes before it stops connecting & disconnecting, but no problem if switched off/on when warm. Any ideas?

105 worked fine when I was on 2Meg & one PC.

man_beach

• Just arrived
Re: Which modem/router do you use?
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 02:40:36 PM »

I use a Billion Bipac 5100. Worked faultlessly until I was MAXed.
It has problems when the SNR margin drops below 6.

soms

• Reg Member
Re: Which modem/router do you use?
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 07:22:58 PM »

Presently have a Linksys WAG354G which is alright.

The only real problem it has presented was when its DNS cache kept overloading or something and client machines using its DNS server couldnt gain any internet or network access. Setting up some of the machines to use the ISP DNS servers sorted this.

The only other thing was that under heavy use the power adaptor and unit itself would get very hot. Hot enough to make you worry if it should get so hot!

Top tips for sorting this include putting the router + power unit in a ventilated area and using DrTCP on all Windows machines to set window sizes, MTU etc, which eased the load.