Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC & Underground Mains Cables  (Read 3320 times)

Korben_dallas

FTTC & Underground Mains Cables
« on: September 27, 2013, 09:54:49 PM »

Hi,

Up until yesterday my max attainable download was 67MB with a Sync of 63MB this has remained static for a while now.  In my neighbourhood the council has been installing new street lighting and laying new cabling for these.  Other than the odd power cut during this work although the workmen denied responsibility the worked progressed fine.

Then the other night I noticed the new street lights were switched on the old ones switched off, then during the night I noticed that the HG612 modem resync'd this time to a max attainable speed of 73MB.  It has remained roughly at this although slightly dropping from 17:00 and then going back up to 73MB later at night.

The telephone cables are all underground on this estate so can only think that somewhere on the estate they must have crossed maybe the mains cabling for the street lights causing some kind of interference otherwise I can explain the sudden jump.

Anyone any thoughts ?, am waiting to see if my actual sync rate will increase.

Cheers

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC & Underground Mains Cables
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 12:54:52 AM »

its hard to know what will happen in the next few weeks as there may be subtle changes going on with your connection after the new street lighting went live, it could be a good time to install the stats software if you have already not done so, so we can see any changes on your connection.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:00:25 AM by NewtronStar »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:47:27 AM »

Gentlefolk,

I remember the venerable and highly esteemed Ezzer telling us that he has known of REIN issues on underground cables, presumably originating from power cables.

Kind regards,
Walter

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »

Interference is a particularly serious case of a subject where there is no "IT'S GOT TO BE", with exact answers at the back of the book !   Measurement and thought are needed.

I recall one case where I was asked for help after an "expert" had spent several hours with no improvement. All it took was a single glance and "Put some screws to close up those gaps in the case "  for a 100% cure. The "expert" was focused on his ideas.

In this case faulty joint(s) on the cable or interference generation by fluorescent tubes seem to be possibilities  but we aren't talking about a massive reduction in interference power, it could just be a new system with clean connectors or slightly lower consumption - what are the new lights supposed to be for  ?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 05:32:06 AM »

Gentlefolk,

I remember the venerable and highly esteemed Ezzer telling us that he has known of REIN issues on underground cables, presumably originating from power cables.

Kind regards,
Walter

I've personally not come across this situation, during my time faulting REIN. Yes, we get REIN on our UG cables, but this is usually due to inductance from the faulty source, tracking back along the DW's, to the DP, then down into the UG Network.
I have only ever known REIN emanate from a switched power mode device, not UG power cables. The Precision Test Officer I deal with (we constantly share knowledge), has never mentioned them to be a problem either ??

I'm wondering if that's what Ezzer was alluding to, Walter ??   

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 02:12:04 PM »

Aha, I can see the link you have 'searched', Walter. Ezzer does indeed mention UG Power Cables emitting REIN in that thread.

This dark art knows no bounds, but I can honestly state neither I nor a colleague (PTO) have come across this situation. granted I've only been REIN faulting for approx. 2yrs, but I've covered a heck of a lot of faults in this time. the PTO has been faulting for approx. 13yrs in the same arena, and he has never mentioned it ??

Ah well, the learning curve continues.  ;) :)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »

@ BS,

You may remember on 19 March 2011**, a chap called RP commenting at:-

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,5868.msg184630.html#msg184630

** For wrinklies such as me,  the power of the sublime Kitz's web site remains a truly fantastic resource of information.  When searching for REIN from Ezzer a vast cornucopia of interesting comments appear !

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »

Ha ha, beat you to it by 1 minute, my old friend.  ;) ;D ;D

As per my post above, I have personally never had the scenario, whereby UG power cables were causing REIN. I suppose if there's a weak joint somewhere, it would happen. I suppose our local electric authorities must have better engineers, than where Ezzer previously lived ??  :lol:

anything