Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iOS7 stops use of non apple chargers.  (Read 7387 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
iOS7 stops use of non apple chargers.
« on: September 23, 2013, 02:14:55 AM »

The new iOS 7 rolled out for iphones/ipads now blocks the use of non-apple lightning cables.

http://www.t3.com/news/apple-ios-7-now-blocks-some-non-certified-lightning-cables

If a user attempts to charge with an unauthorized cable on iOS 7 they will receive this message, "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone."

Some non-certified cables are still working but this could be due to using cracked chips, as certified cables contain a chip that allows them to be used to charge iPhones.

I can see & understand why people buy the cheaper cables, when it costs £40 just for a spare charger from Apple.

£40 to me seems an unjustifiable & extortionate amount of money for a plug and cable.  I feel that Apple really are taking the pee on this.

In comparison I can buy a genuine HTC charger for just over £5.  Such a massive mark-up really annoys me.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: iOS7 stops use of non apple chargers.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 02:38:23 AM »

Just ridiculous!  >:(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:11:37 AM »

Yes, I've just been "clobbered" with this having specifically bought a longer cable for convenience.
Devious swines Apple.  >:D

I do however have a sort of "workaround" as I also have a genuine HDMI adapter for out iPad.
If I plug that in (unused) then plug the power cable into that it works OK. Less than elegant, but it does the job.
The iPad sees the genuine HDMI adapter supplying power so is happy and the adapter is too dumb to check its power lead is genuine.

There may be other (cheaper) accessories that can do the same.  ;)

By swapping bits around I have, I think, determined that it's the cable (not the charger) that is checked by IOS.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:13:45 AM by HPsauce »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:36:42 AM »

I'm not sure if this applies to the old leads as well.   Im a bit concerned about upgrading to iOS 7 and haven't done so as yet because I'd this.

I think I've mentioned on here in the past how flimsy the lead is and how it easily breaks just where it attaches to the part with the pins.  The cable is ridiculously short which doesn't help.  I've gone through 2 apple leads in a relatively short time and I bought a couple of chargers from amazon which is what I've been using perfectly fine for about the past year, and haven't worn like the apple ones have.

My iPod touch I use in the car for music, so obviously I have a non apple charger for that too.

Both are nagging me to upgrade. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything