Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 2 VDLS2's  (Read 11838 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: 2 VDLS2's
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 01:48:49 AM »

My mistake. I mis-read the quote ....... I thought you meant actual speed, not attainable.

I think with adsl24 it was actual speed.

in my case not, so the question is if you turned up at a job where a ton of attainable speed was lost, but only 'some' of that was actual speed (about 10% actual speed loss) would you still investigate it and try and fix it or just say its how it goes lines slow down.  Thats all I am curious about and basically your best guess of what the problem may be, because what got my attention is you feel based on your experience its unusual for crosstalk to cause sudden large drops of speed in one go.  Lost attainable speed is still something that eats away at the noise margin so the line stability is impacted as a result.  I basically went from a 80mbit sync with over 10db margin down to 71-73mbit range with a 6db margin.   The neighbours I have spoken to have suffered similiar issues.  I dont know anyone who now has a 80mbit sync near me, but they all have had it at one point (the ones I have spoken to) but lost it like me.  One guy got his sync speed back with a pair swap but it only lasted a few weeks until he lost it again.  My install engineer told me its crosstalk as he checked the 2 date/time's and matched them to new installs.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »

Chrysallis ..... I generally stay away from 'remote faulting' on a forum, especially speed-dips/increases as it could be absolutely anything causing them ?? If it's fluctuating attenuation, or something of that nature, then it's something that can be whittled down via a forum, but I wouldn't want know what to say regarding your issue without being on-site with my JDSU.

PS ..... regarding 'attainable speed' losses. Our systems (or the systems that I have access to) don't keep a log of 'attainable speeds'. Ergo, when I go about my faulting techniques, I work to synch speed only. It does sound feasible that it is crosstalk causing the problem, and if the other engineer proved this from dates and times, then I'd have to accept that.

I can't offer any other input i'm afraid, as I don't view 'attainable speeds' as part of my job. 

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »

no problem, I have had a call not long ago of the guy I met last week, I been informed I will have outages tommorow as they going to try and diagnose where the problem is.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything