Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2 VDLS2's  (Read 11812 times)

bossian

2 VDLS2's
« on: August 24, 2013, 08:44:17 PM »

Well Virgin have decided to put up my cost of 120/12 another £2.50! >:( That's a second rise this year >:( >:( >:( >:(

So enough's enough......I've decided that for the near on £40 they want for just broadband, I might as well go with BT infinity 2....well for an extra £1.50 I get another phone line and BT sports for free ;)

So having 2 VDSL2's down the same drop wire........is it ok? I have 2 BT business BB at work, one vdsl and one adsl and they work ok.

I know it may sound OTT, but I want the redundancy 2 separate WAN's provide :blush:

So one 80/20 from Plusnet and one 80/20 from BT....both on the same CAB......now that should give me plenty of stats and readings to use against each of them ;D

I have 2 HG612's too ;)

Thoughts on this guys?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: 2 VDLS2's
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »

Some people are never satisfied!  ::)

In all honesty, I can't see any great reason why it would 'Not Be A Good Idea'. Obviously you may observe cross-talk between the two services . . . but on the whole, I'll say just 'suck it and see'.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »

So having 2 VDSL2's down the same drop wire........is it ok?
Well, it will certainly be interesting to see your results. :) It would be interesting if you had the stats to see the extent of the FEXT effect on the first line, when the second line is connected. :hmm:

I assume that you have a least two pairs in your current drop cable.

bossian

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:11:29 PM »

Yep, there's a second pair in my drop cable

And the new pair will follow the exact same route as my existing pair

And I'm never satisfied....... ;)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 12:24:32 AM »

@ BossIan,

Glutton for punishment comes to mind !
You'd better swat up on your Indilish too !

I wonder how long the "Free" sports will last ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 07:23:48 PM »

you will almost certianly see crosstalk.  Pairs sharing a dropwire are very prone to crosstalk on vdsl.

Whether or not it has a big enough impact for you to care remains unknown tho.

bossian

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:14:33 PM »

you will almost certianly see crosstalk.  Pairs sharing a dropwire are very prone to crosstalk on vdsl.

Mmmmmmmm this should be interesting then. I haven't experienced cross-talk yet.

At my work we have a 20 pair coming onto site to a DP on the front of the building, in that 20 pair there is my new VDSL and an ADSL, which travel across the building roof in a drop wire to the same area. Also in that 20 pair is the companies ADSL, 2 leased lines and 6 phone lines. The VDSL connection is great, clean and so far, faultless. I'm still getting 72/20 as I did on the day it was installed....and it's showing as up for 325 hours now!

What do I need to look for in cross-talk? What are the clues?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 11:48:52 PM »

@ BossIan,

Perhaps I should have been more explicit instead of joking about gluttony !

Given that you have the luxury of both major providers, maintaining a full dual-diverse routed configuration has perhaps some significant value ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 02:00:58 AM »

Mmmmmmmm this should be interesting then. I haven't experienced cross-talk yet.

At my work we have a 20 pair coming onto site to a DP on the front of the building, in that 20 pair there is my new VDSL and an ADSL, which travel across the building roof in a drop wire to the same area. Also in that 20 pair is the companies ADSL, 2 leased lines and 6 phone lines. The VDSL connection is great, clean and so far, faultless. I'm still getting 72/20 as I did on the day it was installed....and it's showing as up for 325 hours now!

What do I need to look for in cross-talk? What are the clues?

well I am talking of 2/4 pair dropwires not 20 pairs, in your case its different.  But you said also is only one vdsl in all those pairs?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 06:47:32 PM »

Sorry if Im being thick because its a genuine question..  why does a 2 pair make xtalk more likely than over 20/30/50 pair cable.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 09:04:08 PM »

As I understand it,  4 wire drop wire is NOT made up from twisted pairs, so I would think cross talk would be highly likely.

I also have two SEPARATELY ROUTED  broadband lines to my home. One ADSL O2/Sky broadband provided via a drop wire through a tree outside, and Virgin broadband routed under ground. I also have two Sipgate V.O.I.P.  phone lines that share the same number. In this way hopefully I will never be without the phone, even if a broadband fails before I spot it. Think carefully if you need the broadband never to fail you..................... 

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 09:20:59 PM »

BT standard black dropwire 2 pair is twisted pair
The twists are nowhere near as tight as cat 5 twists are.
The specs are
orange/white pair 1 twist every 89mm
green/black pair 1 twist every 95mm
These specs (from BT spec CW1411 external 2 pair dropwire datasheet) came from B3 cables who have since gone into administration.

I grant you totally that the pairs not tightly twisted nor is the cable or the pairs in them shielded in anyway.

I don't have any specs for BT main supply cable either D side or E side as to what the twist specification is for them.

(The breaking load in the spec is quoted as being between 1350 and 1550 Newtons for the above dropwire)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »

>> BT standard black dropwire 2 pair is twisted pair

I thought it was too...  the BToR who replaced my internal cable via an outside wall run used black external cable with 2x twisted pair.

..  which is why I wondered what difference it made.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 09:55:19 PM »

Looks like the BT man I spoke to last year gave me wrong information.  I  am not an expert on drop wire as my training in the early 1960's involved my climbing up 10 foot poles ( fortunately ) and tensioning copper wires....... I don't think now I would even manage the 10 foot poles.....

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »

The attached images show the specifications for both CW1411 and CW1417 aerial cables . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything