Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Thomson TG589vn v3 ADSL/VDSL Router  (Read 57091 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Thomson TG589vn v3 ADSL/VDSL Router
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 08:20:43 PM »

By the way, when you exit from the FTP interface, this is what happens:

Code: [Select]
ftp> bye
421 Timeout - try typing a little faster next time.
eric@chaffinch:~$

I suspect that you had exceeded the default 120 sec  'timeout' limit, perhaps?  :-\

220 Inactivity timer = 120 seconds. Use 'site idle <secs>' to change.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 10:52:09 PM »

Yes, you could be right. Usually, timeouts like this log you out when the time is reached, but this one doesn't do that.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 02:18:24 PM »

A few additional comments:

1. The router continues to perform well after running for a week - no performance issues of any kind have arisen.

2. There are a few oddities in the CLI data reporting, which don't affect performance:

- The bitloading data sometimes stops at tone 255. Tones up to this level continue to update normally, but beyond it nothing is reported. After a while it reverts to reporting the full tone range. (At first I thought this might be a bug in DSLstats, but a manual telnet login displays the same behaviour).

- The router doesn't report upstream ES or HEC values (but does report upstream CRCs).

- The router reports the upstream interleave depth as 0, which isn't a proper value. The connection is interleaved both ways, because it reports FECs both up and down.

None of this changes my earlier conclusion, that this is an excellent all-in-one modem/router for ADSL.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 04:23:16 PM »

Generally good news for performance then.  :thumbs:

Thanks for letting us know..    I take it you will be leaving it connected ;)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »

I'll be holding onto it for a bit longer to make sure that DSLstats is getting as much out of it as it can. I'm sure there are more bits of data to obtain.
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 08:43:06 PM »

I'll probably get one ordered tonight or tomorrow. I haven't played with a new router in a while (still running the HH3 on Plusnet).

By the way, sorry I haven't been around recently, I've just started college (I'm doing my AS levels now) and well, busy, busy, busy!

aruba

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 09:05:53 PM »

Hi,

Could I please ask if the router suffers from the UPnP flaw that some Thomson routers have suffered with?

(It can checked via ShieldsUp on GRC.com)

Many thanks.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 10:40:56 PM »

I'm not sure what UPnP flaw you're referring to, but anyway, I have UPnP disabled and Shields Up shows it as fully stealthed on all service ports.
  Eric

aruba

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2013, 06:27:13 PM »

Thanks for that - this sounds like it will be my next router.  ;)

The UPnP flaw was the one reported at the beginning of the year when a scan of the Internet found that millions of routers were at risk of exploit - some even if UPnP was switched off.

I can't remember the full list of manufacturers, but Linksys and Thompson were on there.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2013, 09:21:43 PM »

Right, I've ordered one. It'll be here on Tuesday hopefully (I chose next day shipping).

The only thing that I know is going to be a disappointment is the lack of Gigabit ethernet ports - oh well.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2013, 12:36:31 AM »

Let us know how you get on :)

The gigabit ethernet (or rather lack of) seemed to me to be about the only minus point.   

The fact that wireless technology on the latest routers is running faster than 10/100 seems a bit silly, and also puts paid to the argument of processing power for the router. 
I cant quite get my head around the fact that the wireless is capable of running faster than the LAN.  I mean srsly whats the point of headling 300Mbps for wifi when the LAN ports are only 10/100
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2013, 07:14:37 AM »

I mean srsly whats the point of headling 300Mbps for wifi when the LAN ports are only 10/100

This seems to be something Thomson/Technicolor do. I don't actually know a consumer router by Technicolor that has Gigabit ethernet ports.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2013, 10:56:08 PM »

It seems to be quite common and not restricted to Thomson.    This particular topic has been a bugbear of mine for years and its been mentioned on this forum numerous times.

It only takes them pennies to put in a Gb switch rather than 10/100 so it cant be cost.
Previously it was always put down to processing power..   but if the router is dealing with >10/100 on wireless then that excuse wont wash anymore.
-----

pippo0312

• Just arrived
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2013, 06:03:33 AM »

Hello,
this is my first post to this very interesting forum :)
I am a FastWeb customer in Italy and, as you probably know, this is the modem sent by them for the new VDSL2 service,with firmware version 10.4.B.B
I have been using it since a couple of months (still in ADSL+ mode), and so far it is very stable and the performance look ok.
WIFI is probably a little weak, and I remember I had to reset the router once because the wifi was not working anymore (even if ethernet was still working).

I would like to report here a very peculiar problem I have, which is (apparently) related to the QoS IP management, at least with the current firmware.
I am a linux/ubuntu user, and since the beginning I have been unable to download files from remote servers with the standard scp/sftp commands: the transfer goes to "stalled", after few seconds. Uploads instead work correctly.

The problem is client dependent, for example downloads work with windows, android, and also with winscp under wine.

After various tries, I found that scp/sftp downloads are "unblocked" if I use the ssh option IPQoS=cs0 . For example:

scp -oIPQoS=cs0 host:file1 ~/file1   -> works perfectly
scp host:file1 ~/file1   ->  transfer gets stalled

Something is wrong in the IPQOS configuration of this router, and probably here somebody can confirm the issue.
I think that using the  Thomsom CLI interface the problem could be solved, but I am not very expert with it

Thanks!

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »

My TG589 has arrived successfully and I have set it up.

Some initial impressions: it is quite a large router. It's probably twice the size (height wise) of a BT Home Hub 3 and a bit wider. It's black, which looks quite nice.

The LED indicators are very easy to see; they glow green like most Technicolor routers. Something interesting I noticed is that there is a TV LED and I have no idea what this is for. It's of no use to me at all and therefore isn't active (does anybody know what it would be used for?).

The web interface is nearly identical to that of the TG582N on the latest Plusnet FTTC beta firmware (I used it on an ADSL connection and it worked). I do like how one is prompted to change the password on connecting for the first time.

Setup was quick and I was connected in under 5 minutes, easy.

I'll post some pictures in a short while.

Edit: I have just tried out the WiFi and it's pretty average. Upstairs, about 40 feet from the router, I get 1 bar (out of 3) on my iPhone and about 20 feet away, I get two. Any further than 40 feet and I suspect I won't get any signal at all (although I will test this further). It's not really an issue for us as we have several WiFi routers (now dumb switches with WiFi - WAPs) providing WiFi for the whole house.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:21:55 PM by AlecR »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4