Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: blocked site  (Read 4606 times)

rico45

blocked site
« on: August 12, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »

any one ever hear that one particular site cannot be accessed even after router reboot and manually assigning an ip address the site is a domestic one that someone made it can be viewed by all providers except one its not my site so i cannot go into detail but its in relation to a holiday home rental nothing bad but the proviver advised they dont block sites....any thoughts

Berrick

• Reg Member
Re: blocked site
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »

Are you saying that the problem is with a website, everyone can view the website apart from people using a particular ISP?

IF so, it is possible if the website is using a .htaccess file it may have been configured to block an IP range or fully qualified domain name

Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 11:50:37 PM »

Used to hear of this issue quite a lot.

It was usually an MTU issue and there were certain sites that would repeatedly crop up on the list as being unviewable. iirc AARSE was one of them, but dont know if thats fixed now.   

One of the common causes is routers which have been set to block pings.   When you block PING on some routers this also stops ICMP from working..  therefore Path MTU discovery breaks.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:52:58 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

rico45

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »

the site cannot be accessed from only 1 isp when they try and ping the address it says not found but use another other isp then 4 packets sent 4 recieved. the router they have personally is a sky hub . strange one it cant be the router , because neighbours are having the same issue .........

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 07:01:01 AM »

You have checked the .htaccess file?

Just out of interest I would use the numbered links below to verify that the IP address on the Wan interface isn't blocked. To get the Wan IP address (if you dont know how to) use this http://whatsmyip.net/

The reason for mentioning this is a short while ago I had a client on Sky that had several Wan IP addresses which where blacklisted.

rico45

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 10:53:08 AM »

thanks for the reply and the answers sorry only replying now but if the ip address was blocked is it possible to unblock it? :baby: :baby:

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 09:54:41 AM »

Yes it is possible to unblock a blocked IP address.

IF, however the IP has been blocked due to a computer on the network being infected by something like an email spambot then unless you got rid of this issue the IP will get blocked again. Failure to sort something like this out will cause more problems.

Use the Spamhaus link below. It will give you a pretty good idea if it has been blocked.

rico45

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »

Thanks again those sites were really helpful , thanks also for this forum i promote it as much as possible theres always an answer out there  :graduate: :graduate:

anything