Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BBC Newsnight article on Superfast or Superslow Broadband  (Read 5361 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
BBC Newsnight article on Superfast or Superslow Broadband
« on: August 10, 2013, 08:04:29 AM »

Gentlefolk,

Those who did not see it, and can use iPlayer might like to look at this article from Thursday's Newsnight:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b038bsqn/Newsnight_08_08_2013/

starting at about 34:53. I think it should still be available for a short while.

Kind regards,
Walter

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:16:02 AM by waltergmw »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BBC Newsnight article
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 01:36:40 PM »

Thank you walter, I saw a trailer and thought I must watch that, but I was elsewhere and missed it. 
So cheers for the reminder that its available on iplayer :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 03:14:13 PM »

That's a good program,  :)  re.." I think it should still be available for a short while."  I need to save it !, how do you do that ?.

I'm still toying with the idea to get some DIY broadband around here out in the 'sticks'.   :hmm:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:27:30 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »

Thank you for the reminder, Walter. That will be my 'watching' for this evening.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

MartinGoose

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 10:11:30 PM »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 11:05:07 PM »

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 12:26:09 AM »

Dr. Peter Cochrane was featured in this video and it looks like he knows his stuff and talks some good sense.
http://www.cochrane.org.uk/                                                spend a bit of time looking at his stuff on Fibre !.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mVlarBXGDk                FTTH !.

http://www.youtube.com/user/peterstarman/videos             some useful video's.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:04:06 AM by tickmike »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 08:32:32 AM »

Dr. Peter Cochrane was featured in this video and it looks like he knows his stuff and talks some good sense.
http://www.cochrane.org.uk/                                                spend a bit of time looking at his stuff on Fibre !.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mVlarBXGDk                FTTH !.

http://www.youtube.com/user/peterstarman/videos             some useful video's.

The only chance of getting fibre to the home round here is with a wholemeal loaf.. ;D

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: BBC Newsnight article on Superfast or Superslow Broadband
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »

@ Uncy,

I like your "high fibre" joke !

@ everybody,

A worthy kitizen suggested I should change the title to encourage everyone to watch the article.

I find it quite hard to understand why Broadband Bill can keep such a straight face with his confident assurances when it is quite obvious that his poor minions are unable to defeat the laws of physics.

Those interested in some empirical research upon the vexed subject might like to read this short paper:-

http://www.texp.co.uk/downloads/Broadband%20Performance%20Ewhurst%20-%20Issue%202.pdf

For the benefit of newcomers BT chose to destroy the Ewhurst SEEDA Grant-Approved project which specified a generous capacity of 500 VDSL services each and a full fibre backbone to solve the outliers' difficulties.
After two re-excavation upgrades within the first 9 months of operation we now have a total capacity of 356 services with cabinet 20 now "closed" for the third time.

The real sting in the tail is that, as this was a "commercial development", Ewhurst is totally excluded from any SCC State Aid and BT are under no obligation to solve the serious (and now uneconomic) shortcomings of their FTTC design. So much for our "Big Society" initiative !!!!

The only escape seemingly available is the extremely unlikely appearance of a generous philanthropist prepared to wait many years for a B4RN type solution to break even from the income of the sparse outliers, possibly aided with other adjoining areas along the route to a non-BT supplied dark fibre.

Kind regards,
Walter

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 11:49:13 AM »

These posts are a real eye opener.

iPlayer normally keep programs available for 7 days.

So to get Synchronous BB  to premises for the small estate I live on, according to Dr. Cochrane all I need to do is order a drum of fiber and pull it through to my nearest beatie cab ;)  How do I go about getting it spliced into their network?

Could it really be that simple?
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 11:58:06 AM »

HI Berrick,

IMHO you don't stand a chance. The BBC program was kept necessarily uncomplicated.
The only possibility in the future might be Fibre on Demand, unless BT have already elected to provide their GPON FTTP solution.

Kind reagrds,
Walter

(PS I suspect you mean Symmetric {Same down and up} broadband rather than Synchronous.)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »

Information I got from one of our apprentices recently, who'd attended one of the TV installation courses (they get all the best courses, info, kit, clothing etc etc   :'(), is that we shall be investing heavily in FTTP(oD) in the very near future, due in part to the demands on HD streaming needing approx. 9-10 Meg.

NB ... This was just 'linesman's room' chat, and I have no idea as to what 'the numbers' are ?? 

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 12:53:48 PM »

@ BS,

That's very good news for the impoverished, provided it is actively pursued everywhere and that far more realistic pricing structure is adopted as soon as any trial period is over.

http://tinyurl.com/pw7nuyz

Paying anything around £4,000 excess construction charges EACH when the basic infrastructure is not as complete as it could easily have been, will be a total non-starter for the worst of the longer PSTN unfortunates.
Perhaps if an averaged set of installation charges could be calculated for the entire UK a more acceptable solution for all might be possible ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 01:01:28 PM »

From the limited info I've seen around FoD 'Charges', they will be controlled by the CP's (how much they 'pass on' to the EU will be determined by themselves). 'We' will have a nominal charge for the '1st EU' (lets say as an example £2,000), but subsequent orders on the same FDP (Fibre Deployment Point), would be as low as £80.

Therefore, like B4RN, it would be frugal for the local community to act together.  :)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »

Hear hear BS,

But there does need to be a far more open appreciation of the real costs for all providers and EUs.

I can't see e.g.  TalkTalk generously assisting with the first FoD EU and then allowing all the other providers to benefit from far lower charges.
In the real world that just can't happen.
I appreciate that much of this is to do with the politics of the current situation as well as our lovely friends within Ofcom.
The only practical solution must surely be that the constructors (i.e. Openreach) clearly identify the actual costs so that all, including BT Wholesale and Retail, agree an average charge for that deployment.

Yes, that is far easier said than done, but until it is done the UK as a whole are very seriously damaged particularly when compared to some of our global competitors that Dr Peter Cochrane mentions.
In the medium term the UK cannot afford one monopolistic and commercial enterprise to hold the UK in its entirety to ransom.
But "You're a better man than I Gunga Din" if you can square this execrable circle !

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: [1] 2

anything