Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Speedtouch 585 v6  (Read 32623 times)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Speedtouch 585 v6
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »

Yeah, and then look at it straight away after re-syncing... this will tell you what your actual target SNR is set at. Probably 15dB, given all the problems you've been having.

With that attenuation and SNR at 1Mb, I'd reckon 5-6Mb is what you could be getting if your SNR was lower! This is what frustrated me so much about BT's DLM - I ended up syncing at about 4Mb on PlusNet, because DLM for my line seemed to be ultra-sensitive... I think I rebooted 3 or 4 times within an hour once, and that was it.. my SNR was up from its default (and stable) 6dB and bye bye 8Mb.

Now I'm on Be and syncing around 9Mb, sometimes up to 9.8Mb, but it generally holds stable at 9Mb. Currently been connected at 9,026kbps for nearly 8 days solid - not bad IMO on a line for which I was initially told I could only get 512k and 1Mb was unavailable!! :lol:
Chris

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 11:32:56 AM »

"I imagine that PrintScreen captures the whole screen, doesn't it? Better to use a proper screenshot program."

Hold down the Alt key, then hit PrintScrn will capture only the active window, not the whole screen.

I already beat you to it, 3 posts above yours! heh ;)
Chris

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 11:40:32 AM »

"I imagine that PrintScreen captures the whole screen, doesn't it? Better to use a proper screenshot program."

Hold down the Alt key, then hit PrintScrn will capture only the active window, not the whole screen.

I already beat you to it, 3 posts above yours! heh ;)

Okay, Okay..............my poor wee fingers are frozen stiff today, can't type quickly enough  :no:

Teach me to read the whole thing properly, won't it ?  :-[

shape

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 12:03:14 PM »

Hi,
   thanks did a DSL resync, not as high as we thought, but maybe due to the history of problems.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh137/shape_04/steve.jpg

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  3840 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 416 kbps
2. Assured Rate Test:  -provides background information.
    Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 741 kbps

seems default noise on my line is 9db.
Maybe it will sync higher after some stability?
Cheers peeps  ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 01:02:36 PM by shape »

farmergiles

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 02:32:53 PM »

"This is what frustrated me so much about BT's DLM - I ended up syncing at about 4Mb on PlusNet, because DLM for my line seemed to be ultra-sensitive... I think I rebooted 3 or 4 times within an hour once, and that was it.. my SNR was up from its default (and stable) 6dB and bye bye 8Mb".

I have been told that you can reboot up to ten times an hour before it affects your profile. If I reboot 3 times in an hour my profile goes right down.It's as if the exchange is waiting for any excuse to lower the profile and cut your speed. I just think it's a very poorly thought out system which BT use without any thought for their customers.

farmergiles

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 02:47:05 PM »

The slider is just in the default position.
Shall I just try a DSL resync, this would make the router reset at the default noise db?
Cheers.

I'm never sure if I should  press DSL Resync or the Apply/Resync button or if it makes any difference.

shape

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 03:15:32 PM »

Yes it would be nice to read up on all the settings,
PPP
gainQ2
bitwap
etc
Unless we learn german I think we are stuck, lol. 

shape

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 05:14:14 PM »

Please take a look at this 2 hour test i repeated tonight.
The noise decreased from 9db, but I expect it to go back up to 9db tomorrow morning.
Also I noticed the errors have shot up.
I'm suprised I never lost sync to be honest.
What's your thoughts?

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh137/shape_04/test3.jpg

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 5:33:53

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,840

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 8.46 / 86.59

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.5 / 39.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 6.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / µ

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1,933 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 17,829,430

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 28,893

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 26,707

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 06:48:54 PM »

You seem to have a rather noisy line, which would account for the errors and the rather low downstream sync frequency. If you haven't already done so, have a read of http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm .

By the way, although the figure for FEC errors looks very high, it's not really anything to worry about. FEC errors are errors which are autocorrected on connections which have interleaving turned on, as yours appears to. I also get a high level of FEC errors, but my line is very stable with a current uptime of 65 days.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 07:11:47 PM »

Hi Shape,
Glad to see that you managed to use Photobucket, however, just a suggestion in case you are not aware.

With the various options from Photobucket, one of the other options that you can/could select would actually display your info on this page instead of just inserting the link to it.

Unfortunately I can't remember exactly which one of the 3 options it is, although you know the one you are currently using, you could try one "or both" of the other options then select preview to see which is the right one.

What I would probably suggest is to open Wordpad first, then copy and paste all 3 options from Photobucket into that which makes it easier than keep going back and forth.

As I said, just a suggestion, hope you don't mind.

shape

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 07:36:03 PM »

Thank you both kindly for the replies.
Thanks oldfogey, i'm just trying to insert the recent one here, (forgive me if i mess it up 1st time) Sadly for me it lost the ghost again at 6.00 p.m.
So the lift and shift never helped, although the speedtouch has faired better than any other router.
Kitz, I have no internal wiring.
I have had installed a new drop wire, the engineer kindly even installed one of them NTE5 adsl faceplate, so no need for micro filters.
He also fitted a RF3 filter too.
I'm clagged straight into that.
I know it's only broadband, but i'm proper gutted, I thought I had this sorted.   :(
Seems I have a problem between 3.30 to 6.00 p.m
There is nothing left to do now   :no:
Thank you for taking the time to help and offer advice  ;D
Much appreciated.
Regards Steve.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 07:55:17 PM by shape »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 08:40:14 PM »

1. i'm just trying to insert the recent one here, (forgive me if i mess it up 1st time)

2. Seems I have a problem between 3.30 to 6.00 p.m

3. There is nothing left to do now   :no:

1. We all have to learn at some time, and I'm quite sure the people here don't mind, and as you can now see, it does work ok.

2. (3.30 to 6.00 p.m) ? I wonder if you are hitting some sort of "Throttling" as this is pretty close to peak times?

3. Don't give up, the people here are a good knowledgeable bunch and I'm sure with a little perseverance you will get it sorted eventually. (Sorry It's not my field of knowledge so I can't help with it)

shape

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 09:17:14 PM »

Thanks  ;D
I'll try and persevere, been like this since 6/10/07.
There is a pattern though, look at noise rising right up now, and errors dropped.
test 3 compared to test 4.
Can we break the cycle???
I seem to have a 3/ 4 hour noise nightmare, then it rises out of all context.

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 09:29:31 PM »

You now have a very high noise margin, and if you were to resync when it was like that you would get a much higher connection speed. That's more like your line ought to be, with an attenuation of 40 dB.

It looks as though there is some large source of interference affecting your line earlier in the day. Almost any electrical appliance could be causing this, but the large effect it's having suggests something pretty big. You don't have a factory next door I suppose? :) Or does someone in your household operate some kind of machinery at that time?
  Eric

shape

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 09:49:22 PM »

Hmm,
        No I live no where near a factory, nor do I have any large electrical appilances on, In fact i've tried this with only the router turned on and laptop on battery power.
But that is a massive noise fluctuation.
Thanks for reply.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 10:14:48 PM by shape »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything