Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DSLstats v3.5 released  (Read 12751 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats v3.5 released
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 10:48:38 PM »

Kept an eye on the values for approx. 30mins and they appeared OK.

Just had another look, approx. 1.25 hrs after last restart and averages are way out.
Code: [Select]
FEC Up 0 0 0 0
Down 4159 249555 14973271 359358496

OK, thanks for that information. I'm not sure what's going wrong here, but your FEC rates are very high so I suspect that I'm mishandling large numbers somewhere.

Are there plans to save the "Save/Resore XML" options in the ini file, along with the selected router model?

Yes, I should certainly save the XML options in the ini file. I could also save the router model, but I'm not quite sure what purpose this would serve - I guess I could include it for the sake of completeness.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »

Should the errors average page self-save periodically in a twenty four hour cycle? Roseway, you and other more savvy than I am, may think not, but could it be useful to have some source to calculate if they peak at certain times.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 10:49:04 PM »

Should the errors average page self-save periodically in a twenty four hour cycle? Roseway, you and other more savvy than I am, may think not, but could it be useful to have some source to calculate if they peak at certain times.

I don't think that the averages data is very useful as a means of finding  out when the errors peak. By its nature, it's a set of averages over some time.

If you have the CRC and FEC graphs enabled, you can drag them back though time to see the peaks and troughs. It's a good idea to pause the recording while you do this, otherwise the graph will return to the present time when the next sample is taken. And you can save those graphs to an XML file at any time to get all the accumulated values in text form.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 12:00:40 AM »

Something more learned ;D

OT: I know little ( that applies to HTML too). Why does each sample end with
<DrawBlank>False</DrawBlank>?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 07:33:05 AM »

If there are gaps in the graph, such as when the router re-syncs or the recording is paused, the DrawBlank parameter becomes true and as a result dotted lines are plotted on the graph.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »

Eric I'm not sure my FEC averages from my HG622 are correct, either that or I dont understand them!

Average error rates over a 24 hour period

24 hours starting 29 Jun 2013 07:56:23

Per second   Per minute   Per hour     Per day

CRC   Up   0      0      0      0   
   Down   0.01      0.66      39.5      949   

FEC   Up   3330      199801      11988030      287712704   
   Down   3330      199800      11987986      287711648   

HEC   Up   0      0      0      0   
   Down   0.05      3.21      192      4619   

ES   Up   0      0      0      0   
   Down   0      0.33      20.0      480   

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

rhohne

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »

The FEC down averages anomaly looks similar to mine. Tracked it down to a blip in the reporting of FEC upstream values from the router (DG834GT with DGTeam Rev. 1018) which is detected by DSLstats.

Have you a record of the RSCorr counter values at the time the averages were saved?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 11:47:41 AM »

Have you a record of the RSCorr counter values at the time the averages were saved?

Not at the time I saved this data. However I wonder if these values in the HG622 are only reset on a POR of the router as it has been up 147 days now without a POR. The last DSL connect was 23 days ago.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

rhohne

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 12:02:08 PM »

Out of interest what are you current averages and counter values?

A negative delta of the FEC values is enough to cause the symptom. This could be due to counter wrapround or firmware bug.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »

It seems you made some changes in the IP detection feature since v.3.31. Now the program stops working with an "unknown telnet error" if your server is not reachable (blocked by firewall), instead of only put an error to the log.

The "Unknown telnet error" isn't related to the IP address determination (which doesn't use telnet). It's a catchall error trap for telnet errors which aren't explicitly trapped. I've made a small change to the error trap code which will hopefully avoid a program freeze from this cause. I've also changed the error trapping for the IP address collection, so it should continue working if the server is unreachable.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »

Given the attached FEC error graph, are the averages out by a factor of 10 ?

FEC Up 0 0 0 0
Down 584 35041 2102446 50458696

Further to our discussions on this, I've rewritten the sections of code relating to CRC and FEC errors, to try to take into account all the possible ways in which these values can deviate from their normal continuous upward progression. I don't know how successful this has been, because I can't test all the variations, but it seems to be doing the right things insofar as I can test it.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 03:15:32 PM »

Eric how often should the error averages be saved and reset? On restart of this new version it happened 3 times, 1st time after 24 minutes, then again 2 minutes later and again after a further 4 minutes, it has not happened now for about 30 minutes.

Stuart

Stuart,

Sorry that I didn't respond to this at the time. I've located one way in which this may happen, and fixed it. Now (hopefully) it should only save and reset the average errors when it actually needs to.
  Eric

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 11:25:27 PM »

Hi Eric,

Unfortunately I'm still getting the access violation on Debian x64 (I thought it had gone but it hadn't)

Anything we can go through to try and look at this?

Thanks again :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 06:50:56 AM »

Hi Eric,

Unfortunately I'm still getting the access violation on Debian x64 (I thought it had gone but it hadn't)

Anything we can go through to try and look at this?

Thanks again :)

I'm sorry about this. Can you give any more information about what the program is doing when the access violation occurs? It's quite safe to press the OK button ("Press OK and risk losing data") when you get the error message, then you can check the event log to see if anything is recorded there.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 10:01:17 AM »

Eric this isnt imperative, because I am sure you have more important things to do....   but is it possible to add an auto-resume from pause after 'x' time option.

This is because idiot me pauses dslstats to scroll back and look at the stats say over the past 12 hours..  then totally forgets to resume recording.  I have done this so many times now  :-[

---
Edit to show the latest kitz dumb blonde moment... Id scrolled back at 7am to see what had been happening overnight..   and it was only at 9.15 when I checked the state of the line again cause Im loosing sync..  that I realised none of it had been recorded. :(

Having looked at dsl stats again, I think it may be because when dslstats is on pause, the triangle 'play' button is in green.
I think my brain must automatically register green means that its recording, so it doesnt stand out to me that the program is in pause mode?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:42:12 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything