Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DSLstats v3.4 released  (Read 10876 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: DSLstats v3.4 released
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 07:52:37 AM »

Eric I think I have found a minor problem with running this on W2K, dont know if it happens on other windows versions. When I start it up I have it set to start recording on start-up. In the event log I see Recording started followed by another Recording started then a Previous sample still being processed message then the usual message about IP address. After this it continues normally. Also my event log is being saved on W2K in the main directory not the graphs directory and as a file name without extension just as EventlogN where N is an incrementing number.

Checking my Linux version it appears to have stopped recording the Eventlog on exit. Also on Linux I seem to get images saved on exit with zero length.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

rhohne

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »

Also on XP for event log
Code: [Select]
24 Jun 2013 09:11:20 Recording started
24 Jun 2013 09:11:23 Recording started
24 Jun 2013 09:11:23 Previous sample still being processed

24 Jun 2013 09:11:33 Average errors saved as 'errors11.txt' in snapshot directory
24 Jun 2013 09:11:33 Average error data reset

24 Jun 2013 09:11:35 IP address is now 1.2.3.4

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 09:18:33 AM »

Should error stats averages page be saved at close down or end of twenty four hours? Mine seem not to be. All I see is a text file that reads "Average error rates over a 24 hour period".

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 10:03:39 AM »

It looks as though something has crept into the Windows version to make the program try to start recording twice in quick succession. It doesn't happen with the Linux version. I'll check it out later today.

Also my event log is being saved on W2K in the main directory not the graphs directory and as a file name without extension just as EventlogN where N is an incrementing number.

I'll check out the directory issue. Concerning the filenames, could it be that your W2K is configured to hide the extensions of known file types (which is the Windows default)?

Checking my Linux version it appears to have stopped recording the Eventlog on exit. Also on Linux I seem to get images saved on exit with zero length.

I'll check these things out.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 10:11:35 AM »

Eric my W2k system does show file types for example dslstats.ini show with the .ini in the directory. Yes the auto start is running twice a manual start only does it once, as you say Linux is fine.

Also would you consider providing a mechanism to only keep N days of graphs? I just deleted 3800 old saved graphs from my graph directory  :o as I had not looked at it since March! Maybe a one time per day clean up would work.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »

Should error stats averages page be saved at close down or end of twenty four hours? Mine seem not to be. All I see is a text file that reads "Average error rates over a 24 hour period".

It should be saved when you close down, and if something such as a reboot of the router causes the data reported by the router to be reset. Sometimes it also saves it when there's nothing to save.

[Revised version] What I wrote above is wrong. :-[   When you close the program down, the error data is saved in a file called "errors.dat" which is not a text file. This file is reloaded when you start the program, so that the error data is carried over. However, when the router is rebooted, or some other event occurs which causes the error data in the router to be reset, DSLstats saves the current error data in the text file "errorsNN.txt (where NN is a number which is incremented after each save, so it doesn't overwrite earlier versions). After this, the average error data in DSLstats is also reset, and starts counting from the beginning again.

I have to give this part of the program some more attention, because it doesn't work entirely properly, although everything should be saved. Sometimes the text file is saved when there's no data to be saved, as you have seen.

I'll try to correct the issues with this function in the next version after the one I'm about to release.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:48:17 PM by roseway »
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2013, 10:20:59 AM »

Eric my W2k system does show file types for example dslstats.ini show with the .ini in the directory.

I'm sorry, I realise now that you're right. I don't normally save event logs, but I've found one I saved a few days ago, and it's also missing the extension.

Also would you consider providing a mechanism to only keep N days of graphs? I just deleted 3800 old saved graphs from my graph directory  :o as I had not looked at it since March! Maybe a one time per day clean up would work.

Yes, that's a good idea. I'll add an option to delete graphs older than a number of days specified by the user.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2013, 04:59:15 PM »

Summary of the situation:

Issues raised earlier in this thread - Fixed in v3.5
Repeated start of recording in Windows version - Fixed in v3.5
Event log saved in wrong directory and with no extension - Fixed in v3.5
Failure to save event log on exit - Fixed in v3.5
Images saved on exit are empty - I can't reproduce this, but I believe it's fixed in v3.5
Option to delete snapshots older than N days - Planned for v3.6
Tidying up the saving of errorsNN.txt - Planned for v3.6
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything