Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Food Hygiene  (Read 7929 times)

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
Food Hygiene
« on: June 15, 2013, 11:37:25 PM »

There's been a campaign locally (nationally?) to promote awareness of Food Hygiene.
Got a free fridge thermometer and also some handouts which included a link to this site: http://ratings.food.gov.uk/
The ratings of some local food shops were very interesting.

Cheers,
Peter

door_bell

Re: Food Hygiene
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 02:33:30 PM »

Hmm, not sure of the ettiqutte here of replying to old stuff, but I'm not dragging it up from the depths of the ocean at least.

If anyone is interested in checking the Foods Standards Agency, found a cracking app that I now use whenever I'm eating out - it lists the scores of the resteraunt and a bit about their hygine and interstingly their 'confidence' in the management.

Needless to say, my local chinese was a ZERO  :no: and will not be used again - even more worrying, is that it's been like it for a year!!!! What sort of food place doesn't get re-tested when they have 'fixed' or hidden the issues??????

:blurgh:

Anyway, on Android and iPhone, it's this for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sotd.foodhygiene&hl=en

No idea what the link is for Apple folk and I'm sorry to say I couldn't bring myself to install iTunes or look - good though.

:)

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 04:42:32 PM »

"What sort of food place doesn't get re-tested...."

The sort of place which has a useless Environmental Health dept at the local council (they should have automatically revisited the premises if a zero rating was given, as zero means it was closed down). Very very VERY common, Leicester being a prime example of incompetence and ineptitude.

Frankly you take your life in your hands eating in 90%+ of Leicester establishments - I used to work in the trade and half of them should be shut permanently.

tl;dr your app only "works" if theres a competent council in the area, which is rare to say the least.

door_bell

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 05:14:12 PM »

Most of the programs on TV about food have at LEAST one section in Leicester  :lol:

It's usually those cooking in their home or doing the halal meat in their basement.....at least it's better than nothing, even if not 100%. Had food poisoning in USA once before a flight......worst experience ever.

Funny thing is, people say support their local shops yet it's the chains that have the high scores and the processes in place!

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 05:52:55 PM »

Yes well its the illiterate Pakistanis "doing the halal meat in their basement" that are one of the main problems - take a walk along East Park Road/surrounding area and pick your poison. I can guarantee you that 90% of the food premises you walk into will have no idea at all of the laws on food hygiene, mainly because they are a) illiterate and b) cannot speak any English. That's why large areas of Leicester now resemble the third world in terms of sanitation/hygiene - hell we even have TB back here, couple of hundred cases last year  :no:

Don't get me wrong there are some excellent food places in Leicester (not chains) but they are few and far between.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »

Thanks, I shall install that Android app shortly!

When I discovered the Food Standards website a year or two back, I spent a while searching for local eateries on it, noting  the 1 or 2 star places.

I noticed that a few of the restaurants that had received a significant downgrading were still displaying the older but higher star rating on their door!

So that app will be useful for revealing the most up-to-date scores.

Thanks!

Ian

anything