Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: New toy arrived!  (Read 21393 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: New toy arrived!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 06:21:42 PM »

Thank you for the interesting pictures. Some more tomorrow, I hope . . .  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

.Griff.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »

Just figured out how to take screenshots with the JDSU. Unfortunately it's limited to graphs only.

As for other interesting pictures I've got loads on my phone but there's a fine line between what I can put into the public domain and what can't.
[August 2010 - February 2012]    ---   [February 2012 - Present Day]

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 05:35:09 PM »

Was that lot from a live VDSL2 connection or a piece of test equipment?

.Griff.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 07:14:03 PM »

Was that lot from a live VDSL2 connection or a piece of test equipment?

My VDSL2 connection.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 08:10:01 PM »

What part of the country have you been training at, Griff ?? I take it you're ex-MOD ??  :)

.Griff.

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 08:17:02 PM »

What part of the country have you been training at, Griff ?? I take it you're ex-MOD ??  :)

Yarnfield.

I'm from an IT background not the AF but out of my "group" of seven there's three ex-MOD guys and from memory at our induction I'd guess about 50% were ex-MOD. I was expecting that figure to be higher to be honest.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 08:26:32 PM »

Done a good few stints at Yarnfield/Stone over the years. Food and accommodation has improved 1000%, the bar area is still like an airport transit lounge though. Used to go down to the Wayfarer, or just outside the gates to the 'Labour in Vain' pub.

You appear to have a good grasp of the JDSU already ??!!. Nice one.  :)

.Griff.

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 08:51:02 PM »

Done a good few stints at Yarnfield/Stone over the years. Food and accommodation has improved 1000%, the bar area is still like an airport transit lounge though. Used to go down to the Wayfarer, or just outside the gates to the 'Labour in Vain' pub.

You appear to have a good grasp of the JDSU already ??!!. Nice one.  :)

The Labour in Vain is closed now otherwise I'm sure it would have seen a few visits during the five weeks. I'd heard horror stories about the food but it wasn't that bad at all.

On the other hand the main training building resembles something from Pripyat! Most of it is condemned now and only a tiny part is still up and running. Apparently it was sold to Barratts a few years ago and by 2015 it will all be houses.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:58:50 PM by .Griff. »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 09:04:05 PM »

That's a shame about the Labour in Vain. I was down there about 2yrs ago on a 'Hot-site' refresher course, and it was opne for business then. It seems wherever one goes, the pub industry is on its ar5e ??

I'd heard the site (or most of it) had been bought by a developer, didn't know it was Barratts though. The old accommodation blocks were like prison cells, and the food was rank. I attended a few 3-week courses 20-odd yrs ago (Lift (Elevator) maintenance, and Generator Sets and associated control cubicles), when I was on the 'Electric Lighting and Power staff (ELP). You were ready for home after those 3 long weeks, believe me !!!!  :'( :'(
Had a few good curries in Stone itself, as there used to be a free bus that would take you in every hour, and the same hourly schedule returning back to camp.

Memories.  ::) :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 09:07:13 PM »

Just seen your photo's that you added. How damned unkempt does it look ?? BT of old would be turning in its grave at the sight of this. Same in the Exchanges as well, you could literally eat your lunch of the floor, as the whole place was polished to within an inch of its life.
They're akin to an overflowing dump these days.

.Griff.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 09:22:05 PM »

The old accommodation block is still there and from what I've heard, which could be complete rubbish, it's used by the emergency services for training on occasions.

We ventured up that end for our "SLaG" course and it looked like a warzone.

As you can see from the image above they're literally going to build houses right on top of where the main training building(s) are and back up right onto the TAG training building that was built in the eighties.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 09:30:24 PM »

OMG !! Signing, Lighting and Guarding !! The most boring, time intensive, laborious course, man ever invented. Did mine with 'Henry Boot' locally at Wigan.

It has to be said, Barratts have pulled off a major coup getting their hands on that land.

.Griff.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 09:54:58 PM »

OMG !! Signing, Lighting and Guarding !! The most boring, time intensive, laborious course, man ever invented.

Never a truer word spoken! It didn't help that my assessment was on Friday afternoon. The lights failed and by the time they were fixed it was rush hour at Yarnfield with vans left, right and centre trying to get out of the place. I don't think they appreciated little old me delaying their mass exodus  :D

.Griff.

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 10:37:48 PM »

Apologies to everyone else for going off topic. It's just nice to chat to someone else who's shared the same experience.

bossian

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 10:40:20 PM »

OMG Yarnfield....worked there years ago for the prison service....they used to have a vocational training centre on an old part of the site....back in the late 80's early 90's

Back in the day the site was used for testing chemical weapons.... :'(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4